Trudeau's small business tax changes

• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#241 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

The proposed changes remove most of the incentives to retain earnings in a CCPC - so the change in corporate tax is really just salt in the wound as it doesn't address any of the issues the changes pose and is the cancellation of a cancelled tax cut.  

I'd consider myself "Liberal Biased" (at least federally) and I can't see myself being able to forgive the issues around the massive deficits, conflicts of interests, populist politics, etc.  The tax system needs review and reform, but that review and reform has to be thoughtful, it has to make life better for Canadians - it has to support the economic engines in this country.  Tax reform should make tax administration and compliance easier - while ensuring the government has enough revenues to perform its duties.

• jonny and lanforod like this

#242 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

Meanwhile down south the purpose behind tax reform is to generate more post-tax earnings for residents. In Canada it’s to take more of it away.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#243 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

Meanwhile down south the purpose behind tax reform is to generate more post-tax earnings for wealthy residents. In Canada it’s to take more of it away.

Fixed that for you.

#244 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:54 PM

To be fair, federally we have had far more tax reductions in recent years than tax increases.

#245 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:55 PM

Low taxes in the United States are horseshit as long as their Congress and States maintain those atrocious annual deficits.

#246 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:29 AM

True that. On top of everything else there can also be city sales tax, city payroll tax.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#247 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:43 AM

Low taxes in the United States are horseshit as long as their Congress and States maintain those atrocious annual deficits.

I am not disagreeing at all, but our federal deficits are getting up there thanks to Trudeau.  I also think our provincial deficit will grow with the BC NDP, but its only been a few months and they haven't had enough time to destroy our economy yet

#248 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:38 AM

I am not disagreeing at all, but our federal deficits are getting up there thanks to Trudeau. I also think our provincial deficit will grow with the BC NDP, but its only been a few months and they haven't had enough time to destroy our economy yet

Even with our current deficit spending, we're not in the same league as the US. Our debt to GDP grew from 31 to 31.1% in Trudeau's first year.

Meanwhile the US grew from 102.1 to 106.1% in the same year.

#249 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:27 AM

^in Harper's last full year we had a surplus of $1.9 Billion, now we have a deficit of $28.5 Billion under Trudeau

#250 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

^in Harper's last full year we had a surplus of $1.9 Billion, now we have a deficit of $28.5 Billion under Trudeau

True, and I'm not trying to dispute that at all. I'm pointing out that, even scaled to the sizes of our respective economies, our debt and deficits are nowhere near as bad as the US.

Edited by Mattjvd, 18 October 2017 - 10:51 AM.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#251 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:14 PM

You guys following this Morneau story today? Holy conflict of interest Batman. I expect he will resign by Friday. He certainly should.

"The only takeaway for the vast majority of people is that a very rich man, who is taking advantage of tax loopholes to stay rich, was trying to close tax loopholes for people who are much less rich than he is."

http://nationalpost....-reputation/amp
  • Mike K. and Awaiting Juno like this

#252 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:16 PM

True that. On top of everything else there can also be city sales tax, city payroll tax.

Many places in the US have extremely high property taxes because the states have downloaded to the counties things like education funding.

#253 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:22 PM

Even with our current deficit spending, we're not in the same league as the US. Our debt to GDP grew from 31 to 31.1% in Trudeau's first year.

Meanwhile the US grew from 102.1 to 106.1% in the same year.

You can't compare the two as we have relatively low Federal debt and extremely high Provincial debt. Although our Federal debt to GDP ratio is 31.1%, the PBO estimates that by 2040 the Provincial debt to GDP ratio will exceed 200%.

#254 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:26 PM

Because US states have no debt?

Alaskans love to boast that they have no state income tax while their state debt per person is one of the highest in the country.

#255 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:37 PM

Because US states have no debt?

Alaskans love to boast that they have no state income tax while their state debt per person is one of the highest in the country.

I am saying that it is not a 1:1 comparison. Canada's total Government debt to GDP is far higher at 92% last year and growing substantially.

https://tradingecono...ent-debt-to-gdp

#256 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:39 AM

How much is it if you took Quebec and Ontario out of the picture....?

• jonny likes this

#257 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

Finance Minister was apologetic one day and then arrogant the next.

"The process we have in our country isn't that I report to journalists on my personal situation; it's that I report to the ethics commissioner"

https://beta.theglob...rticle36676806/

BTW, he forgot to mention he reports only after he is caught.

#258 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

^I hear the clock ticking on his career, not that he needs the job either

#259 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

Let's not forget Harper inherited a healthy surplus then ran deficits for 8 or 9 of the years he was in power despite being an "economist".

#260 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:50 PM

^Harper also governed thru some extremely tough economic years of the Great Recession.  He spent to get the economy moving again.  Are you going to blame Obama for his spending too?  These were times that required tough decisions and they both rose to the challenges

sure and the mess that Trudeau senior left the country in - 15 years of governing and 14 of those years he ran huge deficits.  The 1 year there wasn't a deficit the surplus was a whopping 100k.  And we just elected his son who seems to be doing the same thing again!

• Wayne and Awaiting Juno like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users