The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21590 replies to this topic

#4141 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

Scary stuff. Seemingly a normal young man. College grad. Produce clerk at Safeway. Accepted into Law School. Dad a popular cop. No evidence of drugs or alcohol. 

I'm sure in the coming days there will be more revealed about the suspect and his state of mind. So far, it's sounding eerily similar to Adam Lanza and the Sandy Hook murders. 

Photo

I'm still amazed at how one guys kills 5 young, presumably fit (although possibly intoxicated) people with a knife.  In most multiple-stabbing death cases, there are at least as many injured as killed... usually many more injured.  And most times, in a large group situation, the suspect is subdued at the scene.  Here he got away, when reports say there might have been 20 at the home still.  It's gong to be crazy when we hear how this played out.  In about 2-3 years time, after the trial.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4142 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:03 AM

http://www.timescolo...icide-1.1006524

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4143 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

25% capacity, and dropping for the last decade?  What's wrong with kids these days, now they are too lazy, or too busy playing video games to even bother committing serious crimes.  

http://www.timescolo...mbers-1.1005880

B.C.'s children's minister has announced the closure of ayouth custody centre in Victoria, saying declining numbers mean it's not ...

#4144 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

Saanich police have now confirmed the two linked deaths yesterday, in Saanich and Oak Bay, are husband and wife.

#4145 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

What do you make of the TC publishing the names of the owners of the house on Newton (based on land title records) this morning, while also mentioning in the article that police have not released names, nor have they contacted next of kin.

#4146 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:08 AM

What do you make of the TC publishing the names of the owners of the house on Newton (based on land title records) this morning, while also mentioning in the article that police have not released names, nor have they contacted next of kin.

I think you really have to be careful with that for a number of reasons. Once, police responded to a drug overdose death in my condo building and in order to determine the person's name the cops were given the name on the condo strata title. But the owner had rented it out without telling Council. So you need to confirm the owner is also the resident before going public.

#4147 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

Update: shooting in Nanaimo

The RCMP are expected to release details within the hour about a shooting this morning at the Western Forest Products mill in Nanaimo.

Police and paramedics were called to the scene at 7:15am where they apparently found at least 3 victims.

[...]

http://www.cknw.com/...ing-in-nanaimo/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4148 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

http://news.national...suing-shootout/

Police say the two victims of a double murder in March near Danforth and Woodbine (in Toronto) shot each other after getting into a fight.

Jonathan Stefan Khan, 21, and Shawn Chestnut-Reddick, 22, both died of gunshot wounds around 8:45 p.m. on March 19 near 2215 Danforth Avenue.

The two men knew each other and were known to Toronto police, but met unintentionally that evening, Det. Shawn Mahoney told reporters at a press conference Wednesday.

The chance encounter turned into a physical fight, then each man intentionally shot the other multiple times at close range. Both died of gunshot wounds in hospital — Mr. Khan had been shot seven times and Mr. Chestnut-Reddick was shot three times.

A couple of Darwin Award candidates for you...lol.  :thumbsup: 

#4149 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

Interesting to note that the BC government is closing the youth detention centre in Victoria. That leaves only two others in the province.

The Victoria police has taken a stand that youths will not be detained in the city cells.

#4150 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

Where will youths be detained?

For a region that has an unfortunate distinction when it comes to high profile youth crimes this seems like a step in the wrong direction.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4151 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

Where will youths be detained?

For a region that has an unfortunate distinction when it comes to high profile youth crimes this seems like a step in the wrong direction.

Our facility has a 60-person capacity and has been running at 15 for some years now.  They will go to Burnaby.   The solution to young offenders is not incarceration, I think it's commendable that our province has very low incarceration rates for young un's.

#4152 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

Interesting to note that the BC government is closing the youth detention centre in Victoria. That leaves only two others in the province.

The Victoria police has taken a stand that youths will not be detained in the city cells.

Maybe they can use it as the women's remand center?

Emergency homeless shelter? Zombie hideout? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4153 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

Update: shooting in Nanaimo

http://www.cknw.com/...ing-in-nanaimo/

Four people were shot in this incident. Two are dead and two remain in hospital. The alleged gunman, Kevin Douglas Addison, is in custody and has been charged with two counts of murder. Addison is a former employee of Western Forest Products

#4154 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

http://www.saanichpo...-murder-suicide

Death Investigation Confirmed To Be Apparent Murder-Suicide

The Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit (VIIMCU) and the Saanich Police Department Detective Division have concluded their investigation into the deaths of two Saanich residents that occurred on Monday, April 28. The investigative team is still collaborating with the BC Coroners Service who continue to investigate the deaths.

"Based on the evidence located at the residence in question, the untimely death of the female victim appears to have been as a result of the actions of another person" Sgt. Steve Eassie said. "Based on the evidence from the investigation, investigators believe that the death appears to have been caused by the victim's husband."

Police and the BC Coroners Service have confirmed the identities of the deceased as 61 year old Anne HARVEY, and her husband, 59 year old Neil HARVEY. Both were residents of Saanich and occupied the home in the 1800 block of Newton Street where this tragic incident took place.

"The death of the male appears to have been an act of suicide. Based on the evidence that our investigators have recovered, these two events would appear to be an apparent murder-suicide." Eassie said.

The anatomical cause of death for both deceased is still subject to further investigation by the BC Coroners Service and will form part of the report at the conclusion of their investigation.

Investigators have advised that the notification of the next of kin has now been completed, however, that this was an extremely difficult process, and one that took a considerable amount of time.

File 2014-7536

Sgt. Steve Eassie #158

- See more at: http://www.saanichpo...h.Ii1ogLYx.dpuf

#4155 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

^The only questioned unanswered is if the murder was a case of extreme love or extreme hate.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4156 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

Shooting victim: Michael Lunn, a big-hearted family guy

Michael Lunn, who was killed in the Nanaimo sawmill shooting, had seven siblings, three children and seven grandchildren, and a heart as big as his family, a sister said Thursday.

“He had seven sisters and he was good to all of us, every one of us,” said his sister Linda Bledsoe said Thursday. “He’s very, very family oriented.” -

[...]

http://www.timescolo...y-guy-1.1018152

Shooting victim: Fred McEachern, fantastic dad and hockey coach

On the night before he was shot and killed at a Nanaimo sawmill, Fred McEachern, a father of two, was finishing plans with his wife to watch the sun rise over the Grand Canyon.

Their plans to visit the Grand Canyon and the bright lights of Las Vegas ended abruptly Wednesday morning when McEachern, 53, was gunned down at Western Forest Products.

[...]

http://www.timescolo...coach-1.1018153

#4157 Gipper

Gipper
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:11 PM

Saanich Police withdrawing from Regional Crime Unit.

A regional police unit dedicated to chasing prolific offenders across municipal borders is collapsing, a major blow to co-ordinated crime fighting in Greater Victoria.

Saanich Police Department is pulling out of the Regional Crime Unit — withdrawing $621,000 in funding, three officers and one civilian staffer — at the end of the year. Losing the biggest partner leaves only West Shore and Sooke RCMP, which cannot run the unit alone.

Saanich Mayor Frank Leonard said following the withdrawal of Victoria police in 2009, then Central Saanich, North Saanich and Sidney last year, the unit wasn’t as effective as it used to be.

“So we were limping along with just ourselves and West Shore without those other members,” Leonard said. “The other municipalities having withdrawn, the unit isn’t doing anywhere near what it used to. It did a really good job on prolific offenders, but as we lost participants, it had less value.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.QpnFzesv.dpuf

#4158 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

Does Leonard realize he just made the case for amalgamation of our police forces? So much for his stance against even allowing the question of amalgamation on the upcoming election ballot.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4159 Gipper

Gipper
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

Does Leonard realize he just made the case for amalgamation of our police forces? So much for his stance against even allowing the question of amalgamation on the upcoming election ballot.

He also spoke in error: RCU still had members from West Shore RCMP, Oak Bay Police, and the provincial RCMP, as well as funding from Sooke. This year, so far, they were also having their most successful year for arrests and charges of prolific offenders since 2009 when VicPD was still on board, in spite of only having seven officers as opposed to the 13 officers they had in 2009. And their last full year of stats showed that the plurality of RCU files investigated originated in Saanich.

I'm pretty annoyed, they were an absolutely fantastic unit. Each of those positions was worth ten cops on the road. They found the linkages and hammered the prolifics hard and fast. I think Saanich will probably be okay but I'm worried West Shore's and Sooke's property crime rates are going to shoot up again to their mid-2000s levels. Neither of those detachments have the surplus resources to staff a crime reduction unit. They have trouble just covering calls and major crime.

Bring on amalgamation.

• Mike K., Nparker, AllseeingEye and 1 other like this

#4160 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:42 PM

Everyone knows about the big open cases like Buziak etc. 

But what about some of the lesser known or forgotten cases, like that motorhome that went missing? I can't believe the cops couldn't find that massive thing. Or those arsons a while back, including the one that levelled the ABC restaurant on Blanshard. Any other crimes that need an update?

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (7)