Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21591 replies to this topic

#4241 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

It's very easy to poison an animal with antifreeze. A small amount of anything that contains ethylene glycol, like common automotive antifreeze, will destroy your pet's kidneys and kill them quickly.

#4242 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

Just offer my dog food and she will let you do anything you want.

• sebberry likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4243 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

30?!  Yikes.

How investigators are trying to solve 30 suspicious fires

Victoria police continue to investigate 30 suspicious fires, but aren’t sure whether they’re looking for one individual whose behaviour is escalating or for copycats.

“Arsons are particularly hard to investigate but it is a priority for us,” said Victoria police spokesman Const. Mike Russell. “We have lots of people working on it.”

There have been no arrests.

[...]

See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.cbxOjR2j.dpuf

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4244 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

✪ LOCAL CRIME UPDATE: Marilyn has been found. The homeless individual that found it has been awarded a free meal a week for LIFE from Floyd's Diner.

But here's the back-story:

An individual approached Floyd's and said he had been at a gathering at a nearby apartment suite, and he saw the artwork there. That individual did not want to "be a snitch" or file a police report, but left location details. Police attended the apartment, but the occupant said he did not have the piece and he had no intention of letting officers into the apartment to look around - which was certainly his right.

Police returned to Floyd's and said there was little they could do without the cooperation of the eye-witness.

But two days later, another individual (the one that has now received the reward) went into Floyd's and told staff that he had found the artwork, while scouring the dumpsters at this same apartment building. He said it was covered in sheets and tape. He left, and returned with the piece. 

It's intact, and has very little damage. The apartment building where it was found is very nearby Floyd's.

The artwork will soon be re-installed, with more secure fasteners.

• sebberry likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4245 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

Is this news?  I mean, if it was the Tinto Rocks, maybe...

August 25, 2014 02:19 from Frank Stanford

A local man got a lecture from Oak Bay Police last week, about the existence of an infrequently-used by-law.

Police say the man was observed carting away sand from Willows Beach.

That's a no-no.  In fact the by-law stipulates that you cannot help yourself to grass, turf, gravel, earth, sand, or rock, from any park or beach in Oak Bay.  The prescribed fine is 50 dollars.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4246 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

It's good to get the word out. Stops others from doing it

#4247 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

Its not news at all and the media made a big to-do about it only because the police called the media or reported it to them

Its illegal not only in Oak Bay but it is illegal in all Federal and Provincial Parks to remove anything 

I think they reported it because of the slight humour value in the story

#4248 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

A business on Oak Bay ave was broken into overnight.

The Whole Beast which shares a store with the Village Butcher had its front door smashed in and the till was pried open with a sharpening steel.

When I was there  this morning the till was sitting outside waiting for someone to come by and take prints from it.

One of the employees said that the ceramic sharpening steel that was used as a pry bar and broken in the process was worth more than the cash register

#4249 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:11 AM

Another award-winning sketch--this time from Nanaimo RCMP:

image7.jpg

Nanaimo RCMP are asking the public for assistance in identifying an intruder who assaulted a woman in her ground floor apartment.

A man came in through a balcony window on June 20th. He encountered the female tenant who told him to leave. The man then pulled down her shorts. The woman was able to force him out the door. She then called police. RCMP attended immediately but were unable to locate the man.

The suspect is described as in his 30′s with thin brown/grey hair, wearing a black wind breaker and jeans. He has a scar on his right cheek.

A forensic artist worked with the victim to develop a composite sketch of the suspect.

If you or anyone can identify this suspect, you are asked to contact Nanaimo RCMP, Cst. Jesse Brassard, at 250-754-2345. You can also call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or submit your TIP on line at www.nanaimocrimestoppers.com

I think I'm able to pick this guy out of a line up.

weebles3.jpg

Edited by Holden West, 29 August 2014 - 07:12 AM.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4250 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

I've moved all the drone chat to the Drones in the city thread.

Please continue the drone chat there :)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4251 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

^Quit droning on!

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4252 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:57 AM

http://www.timescolo...-life-1.1333466

The days of umbrella-filled cocktails may be long gone, but the owner of what once was Vancouver’s fabled Trader Vic’s restaurant believes there is life in the old building yet.

David Whiffin — who brought the Trader Vic’s building to his 25-acre waterfront property off Mount Newton Cross Road in Central Saanich in the summer of 1999 from its moorings at the Bayshore Hotel in Vancouver — has visions of turning the former Polynesian-style restaurant into a farmer’s market for local produce and wines.

Whiffin made headlines in 2012 when he was convicted of cruelty to an animal for failing to provide enough food for a 27-year-old horse in June and July 2009. At his original trial, he was also charged with killing his horse when he hanged it using an excavator. The courts ruled Whiffin killed the horse humanely and acquitted him on that charge. 

#4253 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:21 AM

^First paragraph--cool! Wow! 

Second paragraph--eh, not so much. Pass.

• Mike K. likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#4254 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:22 AM

Although pulled pork will be on the menu there is absolutely no truth to the rumour there will be pulled horse.

#4255 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

This is absolutely terrible. What's worse is these guys weren't thieves but likely broke in to the wrong house.

Monday, August 18, 2014
Officers searching for suspects after home invasion leaves family suffering from pepper spray

File #     14-36416

Date:     Monday, August 18, 2014

Audio: https://soundcloud.c...me-invasion-...

Victoria, BC – VicPD detectives are looking for four men after a home invasion left a five-year-old boy and his parents suffering from the effects of pepper spray.

Officers responded to a townhouse in the 300-block of Robert Street just after 4 a.m. on the morning of Saturday, August 16th after the victims awoke to masked men kicking their way into the home. The father of the family confronted the assailants and was pepper sprayed in the face. His wife called police and screamed out her bedroom window for help, awakening and alerting neighbours, causing the assailants to flee. The couple and their young son were all in the home at the time of the incident and all suffered from the effects of the pepper spray. They were treated by B.C. Ambulance Service paramedics. Nothing appears to have been taken and investigators have yet to determine a reason why this family was targeted.

“It is possible that the suspects simply got the wrong house,” said Detective Cst. Kris Rice. “What is deeply concerning about this attack is the impact on this young boy and his family.”

Witnesses described the four assailants fleeing the scene in a dark green or black SUV, similar to a Jeep Cherokee, with “flashy” wheels and a loud engine exhaust. While persons of interest have been identified, investigators are asking anyone with information to come forward.

“Right now, there are four individuals out there who entered a family’s home in the middle of the night and terrorized them, leaving behind a five-year-old boy suffering from the effects of pepper spray,” Detective Cst. Rice said. “We need anyone who saw something in the area that night or who may have information about this incident to come forward.”

Anyone with information about this incident is urged to call police, either by calling the VicPD non-emergency line at (250) 995-7654, anonymously thorough Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or through the VicPD Detective Tip Line at 250-995-7444.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4256 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:17 AM

http://bc.rcmp-grc.g...contentId=38555

This just seems odd to me.

The Nanaimo RCMP has bikes, a lot of bikes in all shapes and sizes. Some are old and rusty while others are worth thousands of dollars. All, regardless of their value, have been reported at one time or another to the Nanaimo RCMP as lost or stolen. The Nanaimo Detachment is undertaking an initiative to find their owner and have them returned. Effective Thursday October 2nd, a full time investigator has been assigned on an interim basis to track down owners and return their bikes to them.Bikes

Constable Derek Segstro will be taking calls from owners who have previously reported their bikes as lost or stolen. When you call, he will ask for the file # and a detailed description of the bike. He has reviewed many of the bike files and has found the description is often lacking. We know, over time, many owners will be able to provide more details that will assist us, said Constable Gary O’Brien of the Nanaimo RCMP.

When Constable Segstro has the updated information, he will search through the hundreds of bikes in the Detachment compound. If your bike is found, you will be contacted. Constable Segstro can be reached at 250-755-3197 Monday to Thursday, 7am to 3pm. If you call his number after hours, you can leave a message and he will call you back on his next work day. Please do not come to the Detachment to speak with him or ask to look for your bike.

We are hoping this initiative will pay off and some of these bikes will be returned to their owners,  said Constable O’Brien.

#4257 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:17 AM

Significant developments have occurred in the investigation of a sexual assault on the Galloping Goose Trail, near Jacklin Road (Langford), which occurred on June 26th, 2014.

Media are invited to attend the West Shore RCMP Detachment later this morning, where details of these developments will be announced.

Date: Friday, October 3rd, 2014
Time: 11:00 am
Location: West Shore RCMP Detachment, 698 Atkins Avenue, Langford, BC

No details will be released prior to 11:00 am.

http://westshore.bc....contentId=38570

#4258 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:20 PM

I was thinking yesterday that the locatiob of the stabbing was more than a coincidence because the rape happened on the same bridge as the stabbing a few weeks previous.

Could it be that the girl who was raped had her and her friends stake out the bridge day after day assuminmg the rapist would return and when he did return she stabbed him ?

#4259 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:42 PM

Arrest Made, Charges Laid in Sexual Assault
West Shore

File # 2014-8196
2014-10-03 11:05 PDT

In the early morning hours of June 26th, 2014, a woman in her early 20’s was sexually assaulted by an unknown man on the Galloping Goose Trail in Langford, BC. The woman was walking alone on Jacklin Road at around 2:00 am, when she was grabbed by the lone suspect and forced a short distance down the Galloping Goose Trail, where she was sexually assaulted. The woman was able to fight off her attacker and seek help from a passing motorist on Jacklin Road.

Since the beginning of this investigation, West Shore RCMP officers have made it their priority to identify and apprehend the person responsible for this crime. Those efforts paid off yesterday morning (October 2nd, 2014), when officers from the West Shore RCMP Major Crime Unit travelled to the Lower Mainland and arrested the primary suspect in this case.

With the assistance of the Surrey RCMP, 20 year old Bradley Michael MUSCAT was arrested without incident at 9:50 am on King George Boulevard. He is facing charges of sexual assault with a weapon, robbery, and forcible confinement. Bradley MUSCAT remains in police custody pending a court appearance later today in Surrey.

A great deal of complex investigative work was done on this case by our local officers and support staff, RCMP resources in the Lower Mainland, and RCMP forensic experts, states Inspector Larry Chomyn, Officer in Charge of the West Shore RCMP. This coordinated effort culminated in the identification and arrest of this suspect, which I am confident will be welcome news to many in our community.

The West Shore RCMP will continue to support the victim of this crime, who has asked that the media respect her request for privacy.

As this matter is now before the Courts, no further details can be released.

View the original media release on this case.

Cpl. Kathy Rochlitz
West Shore RCMP
250-474-8752

Email: bcrcmp@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

http://bc.rcmp-grc.g...contentId=38569

#4260 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

^Same guy? https://www.facebook.../barry.smithe.3

Either way, what a depressing, self-loathing creep.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)