The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
7699 replies to this topic

#7681 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 41,939 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

The judge was up early this morning to lift the publication ban on the Royal Oak investigation, CFAX has a story now.

#7682 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 16,237 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

A B.C. Supreme Court justice freed an accused cocaine trafficker Friday because there was no sheriff to lead the man from a cell in the Victoria courthouse to the courtroom.

The incident highlighted an ongoing sheriff shortage that has closed courtrooms, delayed trials and tossed cases out of court around B.C. The Victoria courthouse is particularly hard hit.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.VnSMtjog.dpuf

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7683 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 41,939 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:10 AM

My issue with this story... why was the accused in jail?  97%+ of people going on trial are free on their own, not in custody.  So there is a high probably that he was not "freed", but that this charge was dropped but he went back to jail to continue serving his time for another issue.

#7684 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 16,237 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:32 AM

This is good for a chuckle...

Dean Purdy, spokesman for the B.C. Government and Service Employees’ Union, said the problem isn’t recruiting sheriffs, but retaining them. Sheriffs are the lowest paid of the enforcement agencies in B.C., he said.

“Sheriffs are paid $56,000 to $60,000 a year. They can’t make a living in Victoria or the Lower Mainland. The government needs to pay the sheriffs properly for the job they do,” Purdy said.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#7685 HB

HB
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:49 AM

I know dozens of persons who make less than that and do just fine living in Victoria

• Midnightly likes this

#7686 Sparky

Sparky

Super Duper Moderator

• 8,755 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

$58,000 per year at 2,080 hours per year is over $27.00 per hour.

Lots of people would love to make that kind of wage.

• sebberry and Midnightly like this

#7687 Sparky

Sparky

Super Duper Moderator

• 8,755 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:04 PM

^ Starting wage $27.06 per hour [...]

http://www.jibc.ca/p.../deputy-sheriff

#7688 HB

HB
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:46 PM

Those sheriff are a whiners.
They wanted to carry side arms and also wanted to be on the road doing traffic enforcement
They can't even do their current jobs now they are btch8ng about how hard done they are financially
Probably lots of dinks working there too

Double income no kids

Whatever.

Edited by HB, 18 February 2017 - 02:48 PM.

• HB likes this

#7689 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 41,939 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:49 PM

I thought I saw a sheriff walking yesterday with a gun.

#7690 Bingo

Bingo
  • 12,953 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:02 PM

I thought I saw a sheriff walking yesterday with a gun.

Drawn or holstered?

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#7691 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 800 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

The judge was up early this morning to lift the publication ban on the Royal Oak investigation, CFAX has a story now.

Prescheduled, as I said on the previous page. VHF I'm starting to worry about you ;)

#7692 3isenough

3isenough
  • 196 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

"Saanich Police say officers executed a search warrant at a property on the 700 block of Haliburton Road.

Neighbours reported seeing the heavy police activity on the property near Haliburton and Wesley at around midday on Friday and it has continued into Saturday.

Investigators aren't explaining the nature of the warrant, only that its part of an on-going investigation.

They say they don’t think there are any safety concerns for the public at this time.

Police say an update will hopefully be provided sometime during the week."

The police activity started late Thursday night and there were police cars in the driveway on Friday morning, it was pretty hard to miss! Oh well, a little patience and we'll find out in due time what transpired I guess.

#7693 HB

HB
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:20 PM

get the address of the home google search it then google search the name associated with the home then do a BC CSO search online

• David Bratzer likes this

#7694 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 16,237 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:05 PM

Those sheriff are a whiners.
They wanted to carry side arms and also wanted to be on the road doing traffic enforcement
They can't even do their current jobs now they are btch8ng about how hard done they are financially
Probably lots of dinks working there too

Double income no kids

Whatever.

Maybe if there are no Sheriffs around, we can call in the boys from IRSU? I'd rather they be used to make sure cocaine traffickers get to court than camp out behind a shrub looking for drivers going 60 on Blanshard...

#7695 HB

HB
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

Makes me think of the  JIBC paramedic academy on Fort St dozens of people in those courses will never get a good paramedic job with BC Ambulance Service.

They musty know that before getting into it but those who do join will be like current members occasionally complain about get $2 for being on call Sherrif know what the job is about they know the wages yet they still sign up

• 57WestHills likes this

#7696 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 800 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

Sheriffs are treated like crap by the Province. I respect them for dealing with it. I couldn't. They're all hired part time now, and the recruiting process takes 18 months on average I was recently told by their HR person in New West. Hiring freezes and cuts to training budgets have left numerous vacancies unfilled across BC.
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

#7697 HB

HB
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:09 PM

Sounds then very similar to BCAS

• 57WestHills and pennymurphy2000 like this

#7698 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

Employees of a Nanaimo yarn store are traumatized after a man, armed with a syringe, tried to rob the store on Sunday. The man was later found by Nanaimo RCMP in the throes of a drug overdose.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.bO76STqW.dpuf

Not a criminal, just desperate, right?  Traditional weapons are no longer needed for robberies and addicts get these new weapons for free any time they want. I imagine we'll be seeing more of this. 

• Nparker, Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#7699 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:12 PM

He must have just been confused when he saw that the store was having a sale on needles.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan, Dietrich and 2 others like this

#7700 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:55 PM

He must have just been confused when he saw that the store was having a sale on needles.

Yup he brought one in to show them what size he was looking for .
  • Dietrich likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users