• Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:38 PM

No reason to hold in Canada or the us

#7962 satellite

satellite
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:38 PM

why would they stop him? There were no charges and therfore no warrants he was free to travel

beat me to it

#7963 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

So cbsa the cop's in Canada the cops in Port Angeles and the us border people would only be able to question him and release him then at best inform victoria cops that they spoke with him

The disparaging comments here about cbsa letting him through or tbat thry dropped the ball are out of line

Edited by HB, 18 April 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#7964 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that he entered the United States illegally and didn't answer the standard questions that are asked of all travelers. (Edit: truthfully)

What is the purpose of your trip?
How long are you going to be in the U.S?
Where are you traveling to?

When returning to Canada last weekend, we were asked how long were we in the US? If Mr. Backer answered this question truthfully, I would expect that his "missing person" file would have surfaced.

#7965 satellite

satellite
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

Its also possible he negotiated his return with the police while away?

#7966 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:58 PM

Its also possible he negotiated his return with the police while away?

VicPD says they were surprised when he walked in.  Harold Backer is likely surprised VicPD forgot to issue an arrest warrant for him.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7967 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:36 PM

West Shore, Victoria, Saanich (and thus Oak Bay) and Sidney / North Saanich (and thus Central Saanich) use those triangle phone thingies; no screen or TV.

triangle_tablet.png

• Matt R., thundergun, shoeflack and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7968 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:39 PM

polycom_phone.jpg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7969 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:51 PM

I much prefer the Sabre Pyramid, but it is that thing VHF posted or a close proximity.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#7970 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:54 AM

Once again Canadians are NOT required to show or produce their passport to enter Canada.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't. You had to have one to get out of Canada in the first place and it is easier to pull it out again than two pieces of ID that includes a document you are not supposed to carry with you.  If I was a border guard I would find it suspicious and enter the name(s) in my computer. ;)

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#7971 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:53 AM

Well the last time i came off the COhO he looked at it and that was it he didn't enter anything anywhere.

It is not easier to pull out a passport from my pack or wherever it is stored . My wallet with my DL is in my door pocket right next to me far easier.

There is no need at all for them to be suspicious its not a rule its not required thats it. I was asked for ID once for something and I showed my firearms license it can also be used as ID when re-entering Canada

The only time in fact I ever needed my Birth Certificate was walking back into Stewart BC from Hyder Alaska .

There is no US border patrol or customs at the border at Hyder Alaska no need for passport or anything at all but coming back into Stewart there is Canadian Customs .

because I only had my DL on me they held it and asked me to get my birth certificate. I drove to my place in Stewart got it and brought it to them.

#7972 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that he entered the United States illegally and didn't answer the standard questions that are asked of all travelers. (Edit: truthfully)

What is the purpose of your trip?
How long are you going to be in the U.S?
Where are you traveling to?

When returning to Canada last weekend, we were asked how long were we in the US? If Mr. Backer answered this question truthfully, I would expect that his "missing person" file would have surfaced.

Do we know that he was in the US this whole time? He could have jumped on a plane to Mexico or elsewhere from Seattle for all we know. If he's looking tanned he obviously didn't spend his time in the Pacific Northwest these past years.

#7973 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:30 AM

I can't imagine why you wouldn't. You had to have one to get out of Canada in the first place and it is easier to pull it out again than two pieces of ID that includes a document you are not supposed to carry with you. If I was a border guard I would find it suspicious and enter the name(s) in my computer. ;)

A passport is not required to leave Canada.

#7974 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:40 AM

OK, can we all admit that varying documents are needed to enter Canada, enter other countries, and lots depends on your nationality and the country you are entering, or coming from.

And while you do not need a passport to leave Canada, most countries will require you to have one to enter theirs, if you are a Canadian.

• Jill likes this

#7975 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:49 AM

I wouldn't be surprised in the least to hear that he was much more local that what everyone seems to think.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and Jill like this

#7976 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:19 PM

A tall man in his mid-20s exposed his genitals to another student studying in UVic’s Engineering building early Wednesday.

The incident happened at 1:40 a.m. in a lab at the building where a lone male student was studying, Oak Bay police said.

After the man exposed himself, he tried to have a conversation with the student.

“The victim told him to leave, at which time the suspect did without incident.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.bUEXFJ6D.dpuf

I can imagine the conversation he tried to start.  

• Matt R. likes this

#7977 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:26 PM

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.bUEXFJ6D.dpuf

I can imagine the conversation he tried to start.  

Maybe something got lost in translation and the tall man was asking about erecting ? or the erection of a structure ?

Edited by SimonH, 19 April 2017 - 03:26 PM.

#7978 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

OK, can we all admit that varying documents are needed to enter Canada, enter other countries, and lots depends on your nationality and the country you are entering, or coming from.

And while you do not need a passport to leave Canada, most countries will require you to have one to enter theirs, if you are a Canadian.

If your travelling by car/bike to the US you only need a drivers license. Flying you need a passport.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7979 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:09 PM

Well the last time i came off the COhO he looked at it and that was it he didn't enter anything anywhere.

It is not easier to pull out a passport from my pack or wherever it is stored . My wallet with my DL is in my door pocket right next to me far easier.

There is no need at all for them to be suspicious its not a rule its not required thats it. I was asked for ID once for something and I showed my firearms license it can also be used as ID when re-entering Canada

The only time in fact I ever needed my Birth Certificate was walking back into Stewart BC from Hyder Alaska .

There is no US border patrol or customs at the border at Hyder Alaska no need for passport or anything at all but coming back into Stewart there is Canadian Customs .

because I only had my DL on me they held it and asked me to get my birth certificate. I drove to my place in Stewart got it and brought it to them.

Did you get Hyderized?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7980 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:37 PM

Nothing really open when I was there the entertainment was in Stewart as it was the  dead of winter 4 years ago when I was working driving truck loads of Zinc concentrate from a Watson Lake Yukon to Stewart Wharves 1 round trip per day.

Stewart is a great town Ive been there a few time in Summer Fall and Winter just a neat old town.

The toaster museum was cool.

Canada Customs where ID is shown upon re-entry

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mike P., Bing (1)