Hyder? With 4 months of almost total darkness, I couldn't even Fynder.  :lol: 

I'm here all week folks.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan, Rob Randall and 3 others like this

#7982 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:21 PM

hyder is up the coast of BC no total darkness for 4 months you need to go north of arctic circle for that

#7983 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:58 AM

Do we know that he was in the US this whole time? He could have jumped on a plane to Mexico or elsewhere from Seattle for all we know. If he's looking tanned he obviously didn't spend his time in the Pacific Northwest these past years.

There are 3 countries in Central America that are not signatory to the Fugitive Offenders Act (1882) or the Extradition Act (1877). They are Venezuela, Costa Rica, and Honduras.

If I were going to go on the lamb, it would be to one of these countries.

You might remember Frank Hertel (who was blessed with the Victoria title of Businessman of the Year) fled to Venezuela. His lawyer, George Jones, went to visit him there. George came back with an internal parasite that almost did him in. 

A lesser known Victoria businessman Dan Walker (who at one time owned the Century Inn and Coast Catering) made his way to Costa Rica when the going got tough. I have always admired Dan. He threw himself a going away party. If he is still alive, he is probably still on vacation there.

I don't know of anyone who has fled to Honduras or even visited there for that matter.

If I were going to bug out it would be to Costa Rica. I hear they have some nice beaches there.

#7984 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:10 AM

When did the Dan Walker thing happen? I have this vague memory of my dad telling me about something like that.

(And does Mrs. Sparky know you've been giving going on the lam considerable thought?)

#7985 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:19 AM

^ :)

I am not exactly sure when Dan left town. Early eighties perhaps.

Here is a link to a post I made a number of years ago. http://vibrantvictor...approved/page-3

Fascinating guy. We had a mutual friend which was how I got to know him. We both flew airplanes at the time.

#7986 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:39 AM

This long investigation from last year is excellent if you haven't read it already.

https://www.ai-cio.c...s/the-departed/

"Christine Peterson was more interested in this stranger’s journey than his gear. Backer said he was going to Seattle to stay with a “friend or friends,” but hadn’t picked a route. Perhaps he’d go over Bainbridge Island, he told the Petersons, or maybe via Whidbey Island. Either way, he wasn’t sure he’d make the whole 90-mile-plus trip that day."

#7987 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:29 AM

Bean Around the world in ChinaTown was broken into last night and robbed

#7988 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:11 AM

There are 3 countries in Central America that are not signatory to the Fugitive Offenders Act (1882) or the Extradition Act (1877). They are Venezuela, Costa Rica, and Honduras.

If I were going to go on the lamb, it would be to one of these countries.

You might remember Frank Hertel (who was blessed with the Victoria title of Businessman of the Year) fled to Venezuela. His lawyer, George Jones, went to visit him there. George came back with an internal parasite that almost did him in.

A lesser known Victoria businessman Dan Walker (who at one time owned the Century Inn and Coast Catering) made his way to Costa Rica when the going got tough. I have always admired Dan. He threw himself a going away party. If he is still alive, he is probably still on vacation there.

I don't know of anyone who has fled to Honduras or even visited there for that matter.

If I were going to bug out it would be to Costa Rica. I hear they have some nice beaches there.

Roatan is in Honduras. I've been there on a cruise. Very nice as well.

#7989 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:26 AM

^ Good to know.

#7990 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

they speak english on roatan and it's cheap as heck. bought a 26 ounce bottle of rum for $4 there.

#7991 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:16 PM

Honduras just moved to my #2 hideout choice.

• VicHockeyFan and Rob Randall like this

#7992 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:26 PM

not a good choice for sensitive heart people from Victoria those who cant handle homeless sleeping in doorways surely wont like Honduras. super high crime rate there and highest murder rate on the planet

#7993 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:17 PM

A passport is not required to leave Canada.

WTF are you talking about? What countries do not require a passport for entry? I know I'm not a world traveller but going the US or Europe I needed one.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#7994 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

What world is Europe part of

#7995 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

Well you don't need a passport to leave (unless your subject to pre-clearance). You do need one to get into another country though.

So they are right, for that .00001 second of leaving one country and entering another, no passport required.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#7996 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

I do not need one to go to the US.

You do if you're not a Canadian citizen.

https://help.cbp.gov...ntering-the-u.s.

Edited by lanforod, 20 April 2017 - 05:52 PM.

#7997 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:53 PM

I witnessed an incident downtown today, a domestic between a man and a woman. VicPD responded very quickly and were able to apprehend the male. The female left before police arrived. The dude was very angry, the female took some hits to the face and attempted to get away from him but he kept following her and trying to influence her direction.

Crazy stuff.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7998 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:18 PM

I do not need one to go to the US.

You do if you're not a Canadian citizen.
].

You need... Canadian passport, Enhanced Driver's License/Enhanced Identification Card, NEXUS, FAST/EXPRES and SENTRI enrollment cards.

The process to get all of these is pretty much the same in regards to time spent to get. You can not get into the US with just a normal drivers licence and birth certificate. You can get enhanced... but you have to apply and interview for it.

So it might as well be a passport the time and hoops you go through yo get any of the other options.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 20 April 2017 - 06:20 PM.

• tedward likes this

#7999 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:20 PM

NEXUS is great for border crossings, though. Well worth the effort.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8000 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:23 PM

NEXUS is great for border crossings, though. Well worth the effort.

True but as I said they are the equivalent of a passport. Just get you into a differnt line. Which I admit is sometime quicker.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users