Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21566 replies to this topic

#8581 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:28 AM

What would the reaction be if the pellet had killed or seriously injured that woman?

Total news blackout?

• pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and kafkaesque like this

#8582 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

The mentally ill, homeless, drug addicted (or is that intoxicant addicted now?) and downtrodden in general are treated with kid gloves nowadays.

Double standard doesn't even begin to describe the situation. The road we are going down in regards to how much leeway certain groups are given is dangerous.

• Nparker, LJ, Midnightly and 3 others like this

#8583 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:54 AM

I get that its different when a person is mentally ill...

Yeah, but is it really different when mental illness is a factor? Has it ever been different when mental illness was a factor? We can recall prior incidents in Victoria where the consequences were severe (fatal, on the scene) despite the context of mental illness. But those other incidents didn't happen in the immediate vicinity of the Pandora/Quadra intersection.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#8584 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:02 AM

Obviously it's a good thing (maybe a lucky thing more than anything) that this particular incident didn't end in the same manner as those various other incidents. I'm not suggesting otherwise. But at the same time you've got to wonder about a system and a society that downplays a mentally ill and/or intoxicated and/or addicted person menacing the public with a weapon (a firearm, no less) simply because of the address where it all went down. Why did he have the gun in the first place?

• Nparker, LJ, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#8585 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:06 AM

I get that its different when a person is mentally ill, but where do we draw the line? What would the reaction be if the pellet had killed or seriously injured that woman?

Might depend on the victim.  The case of the guy killed at McDonalds did not get much coverage.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8586 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

Odd, for sure.  The guilty man does not know why he has a gun, but the prosecutor is "clear" he was not aiming at a car.

Why would you shoot at cars when you can plink a few squirrels off of the hydro wires.

#8587 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:50 AM

Sea lions with guns? Is that what you're insinuating?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSAEhGnRg5Y

• aastra and sebberry like this

#8588 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:43 AM

so those are those Navy Seals I keep hearing about.

• Nparker and todd like this

#8589 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:39 PM

What would happen if the person being shot at in this recent  case returned fire? I happen to have firearms in my car on occasion and I'm not the only one. Although with Canadian transport rules it would take a few minutes to load up.

Edited by goke, 22 June 2017 - 12:40 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#8590 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:56 AM

^^I imagine that would be quite the legal mess. Of course we all have the right to self defence, it's with the caveat that we use 'resonable' force in return. I think you'd have a hard time convincing a jury that returning fire on the building was a 'reasonable' course of action to preserve your life. I was not at the scene, but I imagine with an air pistol the noise produced isn't loud enough for it to even be clear that the woman was being shot at?

• 57WestHills likes this

#8591 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:43 PM

Police issue warning after 2 similar sexual assaults in Saanich, B.C.
2 women assaulted at night in recent weeks

Saanich police say the first incident occurred around midnight on June 11, in the 4000 block of Larchwood Drive.

Two women were walking when one of them stopped to urinate in some nearby bushes. Police say a man on a bicycle approached her, jumped off the bike and sexually assaulted her before getting back on the bike and fleeing.

Then, around 11:30 p.m. on June 23, a group of four people was walking in the 4100 block of Torquay Drive when a woman walked down a pathway to urinate. 

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4176877?cmp=rss

I see a pattern.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 24 June 2017 - 01:44 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8592 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,722 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:02 PM

Follow the yellow brick road?

• SimonH and kafkaesque like this

#8593 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

saanich.jpg

One Suspect Identified in Violent Home Invasion – Arrest Warrant Issued

On June 21, 2017, just after 11:00AM, Saanich Police responded to a report of a home invasion in the 4700 block of Rosehill Rd. 

Two men were inside the residence when two men forced their way into the home.  The two suspects were each carrying a firearm and demanded money and property from the victims.  One of the victims, a 36 year old man from Saanich, received an injury from being struck in the head with a firearm by one of the suspects.  He was treated at hospital and has since been released.  The other victim, a 33 year old Saanich man, was unharmed. 

After the suspects left the home Saanich Police were contacted.  Officer’s from the Saanich Police Detective Division have been conducting the investigation and have been able to identify one of the suspects.  Detectives are still attempting to identify the other male involved in this home invasion. 

The identified suspect is 31 year old Christopher Corey Wilson of North Saanich.  Wilson is described as a white man, 5’8” tall, 179 lbs, with short red hair and blue eyes.

Saanich Police have an arrest warrant for Wilson for the following charges:

Two counts of Robbery, One count of Break and Enter, Two counts of using a firearm/imitation firearm during the commission of an offence, One count of assault and one count of forcible confinement.

Wilson should be considered armed and dangerous.  If you see Christopher Corey Wilson call 9-1-1 immediately or if you have any information of his whereabouts call Saanich Police at 250-475-4321.  To remain anonymous call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

SPD File 17-13944 refers

A/Sgt. Jereme Leslie

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8594 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:47 PM

^ Cute little rascal has been running around for 5 days with a gun in his pocket?

Good to know.

• sebberry likes this

#8595 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

^ Cute little rascal has been running around for 5 days with a gun in his pocket?

Good to know.

.... well it sounds like longer than that lol

#8596 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:56 PM

RCMP.jpg

RCMP officers with guns drawn are currently stationed in the area of Watkiss Way and Talcot Road in View Royal.

Multiple police vehicles are parked across the street from Eagle View Elementary and a block away from the Choices Transitional Home homeless shelter.

A witness at the scene says the police may be searching for an individual or individuals.

Photo courtesy of Cam S.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8597 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:55 AM

machete-attack.jpg

Two months ago a home at 2590 Esplanade along Oak Bay's bucolic Willows Beach was the scene of a grisly machete attack that left a woman with serious injuries. [Photo by VV member todd]

Oak Bay machete attacker remains on the loose two months after violent home invasion

Oak Bay Police have yet to crack a case that left a woman with serious injuries following a home invasion that could have turned deadly.

On the morning of April 25th a man entered a home along the 2500-block of Esplanade.

A lone female occupant encountered the intruder and an altercation ensued that eventually lead to the woman being violently attacked with a weapon described as a machete.

The victim was able to fend off the attacker and call 9-1-1. The man subsequently fled the scene.

When officers arrived at the home they discovered a female victim with serious injuries to her upper body.

The suspect was described as a heavyset man in his 20's wearing a brown jacket and dark pants. A white and blue handkerchief (or bandana) was wrapped around his face.

Despite a lengthy perimeter search of the area, police were unable to chase down a suspect and the man remains at-large.

Police have not lead on why the man had entered the home. His intentions remain unknown. VV

Edited by Mike K., 27 June 2017 - 08:02 AM.

Know it all.

#8598 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:02 AM

grizzly machete attack eh? That must've been a bear to investigate.

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#8599 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:15 AM

Yes, there's trouble a bruin in the OB.

• lanforod likes this

#8600 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

Were Police contacted for the VV article on the Oak Bay home invasion?
  • 3isenough likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users