The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21591 replies to this topic

#8601 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

OBPD/Saanich PD have publicly stated as of yesterday that no arrests have been made and that they cannot release any additional information. Basically, as far as the public is concerned, what we knew then, we know now.

OBPD/SPD, if you have a suspect, why haven't you issued a warrant? Or has a warrant been issued and the public doesn't know the warrant applies to the assailant? Are we going to have yet another case like Buziak's where everyone's tight lipped, the family has their man identified (as far as they believe), but nothing comes of it because the police won't make an arrest? I dunno.

I think our collective suspicion that this was not a random crime is more than likely the case here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8602 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:56 PM

.... so to answer my question "no". I was just curious.

If anyone learns anything from Buziak, which they won't, it's that if you're a family member with access to Police information don't spew it all over the Internet.

#8603 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:06 PM

I don't think I ever said "no," 57. We have more tentacles in this city than you might imagine.

Not everything we are told by reliable sources ends up on this forum. I'm sure you can respect that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8604 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

I can. But I know more than you here. That's why I was curious :) I honestly wasn't sure what's been released.

Edited by 57WestHills, 27 June 2017 - 02:33 PM.

#8605 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

Officially, very, very little even as of yesterday. The narrative hasn't changed at all.

Know it all.

#8606 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:32 PM

OBPD/Saanich PD have publicly stated as of yesterday that no arrests have been made and that they cannot release any additional information. Basically, as far as the public is concerned, what we knew then, we know now.

OBPD/SPD, if you have a suspect, why haven't you issued a warrant? Or has a warrant been issued and the public doesn't know the warrant applies to the assailant? Are we going to have yet another case like Buziak's where everyone's tight lipped, the family has their man identified (as far as they believe), but nothing comes of it because the police won't make an arrest? I dunno.

I think our collective suspicion that this was not a random crime is more than likely the case here.

OBPD just stated that it was a random crime and that they have no suspects. So after 2 months of telling us there was no risk, it appears as though there is some whack job on the loose.

http://www.timescolo...-say-1.20797269

#8607 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:26 PM

I don't think I ever said "no," 57. We have more tentacles in this city than you might imagine.

Not everything we are told by reliable sources ends up on this forum. I'm sure you can respect that.

And I'm sure you can appreciate that people send us stuff all the time "off the record".   We already let on a bit in this thread what hospital workers told us off record.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8608 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:04 PM

Police looking for a 2002 Chevy Cavalier BC EB9 14L for the robbery of a dispensary on Harriet, with gun. 

#8609 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:18 PM

But it turns out that car is not related to the hold-up...

#8610 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:42 AM

OBPD just stated that it was a random crime and that they have no suspects. So after 2 months of telling us there was no risk, it appears as though there is some whack job on the loose.

http://www.timescolo...-say-1.20797269

Wow. That's quite the revelation after less than a day of telling the TC it may or may not have been random.

Know it all.

#8611 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:59 AM

Well, I don't necessarily belive police are being forthright. They may be telling us it's random in order for the guilty party to read that and think the presssure is off.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8612 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:46 AM

VicPD are now searching for a stolen grey BMW 335i with BC plate BA5 34P. If seen call 911.

The vehicle is believed to have been used in connection with an armed pot shop robbery on Harriet Road.

Know it all.

#8613 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:30 AM

how did it change from a Cavalier with a different plate number to this one not even similar

#8614 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:32 AM

Well, I don't necessarily belive police are being forthright. They may be telling us it's random in order for the guilty party to read that and think the presssure is off.

Odd circumstances here, for sure.

- you've got a lone female in the home

- the invasion occurs when most B&E's and HI's would not occur due to the likelihood of someone being in the home, neighbours leaving for work, people strolling through the neighbourhood/along the beach

- the victim, of Egyptian ethnicity, is attacked with a weapon described as "machete-like"

- "machete-like" weapons are common to the ME and North Africa, they are not commonly used in BC

- the attacker was described as wearing a handkerchief/bandana over his face

- the attacker was so well disguised, the victim had few details to give to police

- the attacker evaded a massive dragnet utilizing resources from at least three police forces

- two months later, police have been very tight-lipped about the crime

- over a 24-hour period, police go from not confirming whether the attack was random, to definitively stating the attack was random

Meanwhile a violent home invasion that occurred several days ago (in Saanich, I think?) has produced two suspects, one of whom is being actively sought with the help of the public.

We currently do not know whether entry in the Oak Bay case was forced, we do not know whether the man spoke to the witness and whether he had an accent, we do not know his skin colour (dark, light, olive), we do not even have a basic sketch. We are also not aware of the full extent of the woman's injuries.

Know it all.

#8615 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:33 AM

how did it change from a Cavalier with a different plate number to this one not even similar

Surveillance videos or witness accounts must have produced the second vehicle. Originally the black Cavalier was seen leaving the area and police put out an APB on it. Better safe than sorry.

Know it all.

#8616 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:46 AM

^ ^ It sounds like a domestic case to me.

#8617 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:03 AM

Odd circumstances here, for sure.

- you've got a lone female in the home

- the invasion occurs when most B&E's and HI's would not occur due to the likelihood of someone being in the home, neighbours leaving for work, people strolling through the neighbourhood/along the beach

- the victim, of Egyptian ethnicity, is attacked with a weapon described as "machete-like"

- "machete-like" weapons are common to the ME and North Africa, they are not commonly used in BC

- the attacker was described as wearing a handkerchief/bandana over his face

- the attacker was so well disguised, the victim had few details to give to police

- the attacker evaded a massive dragnet utilizing resources from at least three police forces

- two months later, police have been very tight-lipped about the crime

- over a 24-hour period, police go from not confirming whether the attack was random, to definitively stating the attack was random

Meanwhile a violent home invasion that occurred several days ago (in Saanich, I think?) has produced two suspects, one of whom is being actively sought with the help of the public.

We currently do not know whether entry in the Oak Bay case was forced, we do not know whether the man spoke to the witness and whether he had an accent, we do not know his skin colour (dark, light, olive), we do not even have a basic sketch. We are also not aware of the full extent of the woman's injuries.

Smells like a scared and uncooperative victim, to me.

Was the guy tall? Fat? Skinny? Short? Muscular? Middle aged? Young? Old? Grey haired? Bald? Blonde? White? Black? Brown? Asian? Did he speak English? Arabic? Very, very odd.

• 3isenough likes this

#8618 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:10 AM

And as we've said before, why is a wealthy woman in her 40's living or at least sleeping over in her parents house, and where is everyone else?  Like her husband.

I think it has been released that the suspect is heavier-set and in his 20's.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 28 June 2017 - 08:11 AM.

#8619 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:11 AM

The black Chevy Cav turned out to be someone who was a customer at the shop.

#8620 3isenough

3isenough
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:30 AM

From the TC article

“There is nothing to suggest she was the target of this attack,” said Oak Bay police Deputy Chief Ray Bernoties after receiving an update from the lead detective. This is the first time police have said the assault, which took place two months ago, was random.

Saanich police’s major crime section is handling the case, since Oak Bay contracts major investigations to the larger department.

“At this time, investigators are confident there are people in our community that have information about this horrific attack,” Bernoties said. “We’re asking for those people to come forward and talk with the investigators.”

On April 25 about 7:30 a.m., a 45-year-old woman heard noises in her kitchen and went down to investigate. She confronted the stranger in her home and he attacked her with what was described as a machete. She was able to call 911 despite serious injuries that required surgery.

The man fled, sparking a manhunt across the region.

It’s unclear if the man left on foot or in a vehicle or whether he stole anything. Police searched for the weapon, but have not said if one was found."

Sounds like a robbery in progress that was interrupted, he either didn't expect her to be home, or thought she'd still be sleeping hence why she wasn't a target and it was random. She heard noises and went to investigate. Did she try to stop it or did he get scared when he got interrupted and attack?

The Police know much more than they are publicly releasing, and have said as much in the TC story by calling out to the community and saying there are people that know something and to come forward and talk to us.

The details of the attacker were released initially. White, heavy set in his 20s, blue bandana, jeans, hat, and a hoody I believe. Not much to go on, he was well disguised.

Edited by 3isenough, 28 June 2017 - 08:33 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2), Sparky, Bing (1)