Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21542 replies to this topic

#8621 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

...The vehicle is believed to have been used in connection with an armed pot shop robbery on Harriet Road.

Is it actually a crime when the business itself is illegal and technically shouldn't exist?

#8622 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

The details of the attacker were released initially. White, heavy set in his 20s, blue bandana, jeans, hat, and a hoody I believe. Not much to go on, he was well disguised.

Hmm, that's the first time I've heard of a skin colour. I was able to track down a single reference to a Vic News article by a reporter that's been fielding some pretty heavy criticism over her less than stellar writing skills. My point isn't to criticize her, only that her writing style is peculiar and a little hard to consume.

Since no other media has referenced skin colour (I ran a cursory search, couldn't find a secondary reference, but there very well could be references to a white man somewhere out there), is it possible that detail in her article was a mistake?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8623 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:12 AM

grizzly machete attack eh? That must've been a bear to investigate.

What are you clawing at?

#8624 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

Still waiting for aastra's polarizing black panduns.

#8625 3isenough

3isenough
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

I have found a couple of sources where it indicated white male simply by googling Machete Attack Oak Bay. 

http://www.iheartrad...ttack-1.2569675

"He is a white male, in his 20's, wearing a brown jacket, khaki pants and a blue and white bandana.

The attacker remains at large."

http://www.oakbaynew...y-this-morning/

"Police say members from both Oak Bay and Saanich police departments are working to find the suspect described as a white man in his 20s wearing a brown jacket, khaki pants and a blue and white bandana."

#8626 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:42 PM

Right, one of which I posted above, and now you've found a second one (which is a hastily written piece, perhaps even drawing from the Black Press article).

So this begs the question. If we know he's white, why was that crucial piece of information left out of the narrative in all but two (so far) articles? The story got province-wide attention and nobody is focusing on the man's ethnicity? Seems odd.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8627 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

Still waiting for aastra's polarizing black panduns.

True story: I was going to say something about black humour being the polar opposite of what people expect to see in the crime thread.

But now you've pulled the rug out from under me.

Maybe it's all for the best. Can you imagine the hulla-baloo if two (allegedly) different forumers had posted the same fiendishly clever & hilarious wordplay at the same moment? It would have been unkoalafied pandamonium. The mods would have come out of hibernation.

• lanforod and rmpeers like this

#8628 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:05 PM

Fenton sentencing delayed.

Moderator hibernation procedure completed.

That is all.
  • VicHockeyFan and lanforod like this

#8629 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

A suspect wanted in connection with yesterday's armed robbery was finally taken down by a police dog on Obed Avenue this afternoon following a lengthy police pursuit that stretched across several municipalities.

• 57WestHills likes this

Know it all.

#8630 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:59 AM

A pepper spray incident following a bag snatching by a female has affected multiple people at the Bay Centre.

A woman snatched a bag from a man, who gave chase after her into the mall, where pepper spray was discharged. It is unclear who discharged the pepper spray. Approximately seven or eight individuals are affected.

Know it all.

#8631 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:08 AM

Another male discharged the pepper spray. He is believed to have been complicit in the bag snatching.

Pretty big response at the mall right now.

Know it all.

#8632 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:26 AM

Plastic or paper?

#8633 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:35 AM

Plastic or paper?

If someone snatches a plastic bag, ostensibly to destroy it, would it still be a considered crime in the eyes of our civic leaders?

• VicHockeyFan, Daveyboy and A Girl is No one like this

#8634 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

doesn't this guy know that murses are supposed to be worn cross-body, over one shoulder.

#8635 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:31 PM

...murses are supposed to be worn cross-body, over one shoulder.

That's how I always wear mine.  :thumbsup:

• sdwright.vic, RoadRunner and kafkaesque like this

#8636 Fred12

Fred12
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

A stabbing in centennial square,  wonderful start to the weekend. :(

#8637 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:53 PM

A stabbing in centennial square,  wonderful start to the weekend. :(

You know, if you don't like the jazz being played you can always just walk away.

#8638 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:39 PM

Four guys clobbered a guy to near death with skateboards. Witnesses at the scene said they could see the flesh hanging off his head and exposed bone.

It's unclear what happened, but the victim, who had the knife, was up against more than he could handle.

Crazy thing is, is I walked through the square about an hour earlier and remarked to my girlfriend how gnarly the place was. Full of people that looked like those you wouldn't want to run into at night. That was my impression. Then an hour later we hear the sirens and went straight to the scene to find nearly a dozen cop cars and a taped off square.

Witnesses at the scene were more than willing to explain in detail what had occurred. And it wasn't pretty.

Know it all.

#8639 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:02 PM

any video or photos of the hanging flesh?

#8640 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:33 AM

The TC report is less sensational, and says that according to witnesses, one guy pulled a knife on another, and the second guy hit him with his skateboard.

The TC quotes the guy with the skateboard as saying: “That guy could have killed me, I’m the one with a knife to my throat.”

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

30 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 26 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (3), Love the rock