• Please log in to reply
21442 replies to this topic

#8921 Nostalgic Victoria

Nostalgic Victoria
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:59 AM

Cyclist attacked on the Lochside Trail.

http://www.timescolo...rail-1.22034744

The TC is reporting that a cyclist was left with “serious injuries after an erratic man pushed him off his bike and started hitting him over the head with it. The attacker lifted the bike and started hitting the male cyclist, leaving him bloodied and with broken bones.

The female cyclist suffered minor injuries as she tried to get away from the man, who was making bizarre and sometimes incoherent statements.

[Central Saanich police Sgt Mark} Haney said it appears the man was having a mental-health breakdown. Police and B.C. Ambulance paramedics were called to the scene.

Officers arrested the man soon after they arrived and he was apprehended under the Mental Health Act. He remains in hospital under assessment.

Police determined the man who was arrested had been reported missing from Surrey, Haney said.

Central Saanich police have been in touch with Surrey RCMP to let them know the man has been located.”

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Oh, he’s been located alright.

The attack happened at 4:35 PM on Tuesday.           

Good. I hope they tased that piece of human refuse when they arrested him and that they keep him locked up for the public's safety. And this is what Lisa Doesn't Help wants the public to take into their homes.

#8922 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

Good. I hope they tased that piece of human refuse when they arrested him and that they keep him locked up for the public's safety. And this is what Lisa Doesn't Help wants the public to take into their homes.

And next to a school with young children? Grrrr
So the first assault happened on August 15, they arrested the guy, then there was another similar incident on the 18th? Or am I reading this wrong?
Also similar to the attack on the goose a few weeks back...
disturbing to say the least. 😬
  • Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#8923 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:37 AM

Stabbing in the 900-block of Tattersall last night.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8924 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:02 PM

A body has been discovered on the grounds of SJ Willis school south of Topaz Park. Detectives have been called in.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8925 Nostalgic Victoria

Nostalgic Victoria
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:54 PM

A body has been discovered on the grounds of SJ Willis school south of Topaz Park. Detectives have been called in.

Congrats, Ms. Commissar...er, "Mayor" - another crime you've allowed to happen thanks to your bleeding-heart approach to crime and the drugged-out transients and others of the city's undesirable elements.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#8926 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:58 PM

Yeah that's what caused something where we don't even know what happened yet?

Sheesh.

Also, violent crime continues to drop significantly from "the good old days".
  • tedward and thundergun like this

#8927 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:02 PM

Yeah that's what caused something where we don't even know what happened yet?

Sheesh.

Also, violent crime continues to drop significantly from "the good old days".

Having lived through the tent city ordeal while crime in the neighbourhood was magically dropping, I would venture that Vicpd has become a lot savvier about crime stats reporting...

#8928 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

If you've based your conclusion on watching something that was bad for a relative short period of time then you'll come out with incorrect conclusions.

Tent City sucked.

But, as always, the overwhelming majority of violence in Canada (including here) is domestic related. Random violence which is actually the most likely to be reported has dropped a lot. That doesn't mean it's ended. It doesn't mean things like Tent City didn't highlight it.

But this over-dramatic response is out of place. The sky isn't falling.

#8929 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:20 PM

Violent crime isn't the only indicator of a city's quality of life.  What's the rate of petty crime (bike thefts, harassments, thefts of/from vehicle, public intoxication, etc...) been over the last 20 years in Victoria?

• Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8930 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:30 PM

I concur. But the "look what the Mayor has let happen" post was wayyyyy over the top.

#8931 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:16 PM

Domestic violence only affects the people involved. I'm not afraid of domestic violence when walking down a city street. 

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and A Girl is No one like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8932 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:30 PM

But the "look what the Mayor has let happen" post was wayyyyy over the top.

Not only that, but I'm pretty sure the number of bodies found on the grounds of S.J. Willis is down recently from the normal average.

Just some ghoulish humour, but off the top of my head I can recall some incidents from back in the day. I searched the archive but I wasn't able to find anything particularly old, although I did find a couple of more recent stories (below):

April 15, 1999:
A 25-year-old man released from Vancouver Island Regional Correctional Centre on April 9, was found dead on the grounds of S. J. Willis school Wednesday morning. An overdose of heroin is suspected in the death.

August 21, 2001:
Victoria police are investigating the death of a 30-year-old Lower Mainland man whose body was found on a stairwell at S. J. Willis school Monday morning.

#8933 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:35 PM

A...man...was found dead on the grounds of S. J. Willis school ...An overdose of heroin is suspected...

My guess is we'll eventually hear something like this.

#8934 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:40 PM

Domestic violence only affects the people involved. I'm not afraid of domestic violence when walking down a city street.

If you're afraid of random violence walking down a street in Victoria then you are either blissfully ignorant of the real threats in your life - like the cars driving by - or you must be afraid of everything lol.

I do take amusement out of the "we don't leave Victoria often" crowd who seem to have no scope of comparison to the reality of literally the rest of the world.

Edited by 57WestHills, 22 August 2017 - 07:40 PM.

• gstc84 and Daveyboy like this

#8935 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:44 PM

^That was a royal "I". Personally I avoid sketchy areas of any city for the most part but once in awhile you find yourself in the wrong part of town with the wrong character/s. I don't avoid areas where domestic violence has occurred mainly because I don't know about it and it doesn't affect me.

• 57WestHills likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8936 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:48 PM

If you've based your conclusion on watching something that was bad for a relative short period of time then you'll come out with incorrect conclusions.

Tent City sucked.

But, as always, the overwhelming majority of violence in Canada (including here) is domestic related. Random violence which is actually the most likely to be reported has dropped a lot. That doesn't mean it's ended. It doesn't mean things like Tent City didn't highlight it.

But this over-dramatic response is out of place. The sky isn't falling.

Tent city may have seemed short lived to you but it was an eternity to my neighbours and I. I haven't fully revovered from it yet, a year later. Never in my life before had I been robbed, threatened, my neighbours physically assaulted, felt unsafe in my neighborhood and called a hater to boot. The worst nightmare I could ever have imagine. I don't think the sky will ever be back where it used to be for me, and many of my neighbours. It was beyond belief and I guess that's why people who didn't live it first hand can't believe what we are saying...
  • Nparker, Nostalgic Victoria, SimonH and 4 others like this

#8937 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

Not only that, but I'm pretty sure the number of bodies found on the grounds of S.J. Willis is down recently from the normal average.

Just some ghoulish humour, but off the top of my head I can recall some incidents from back in the day. I searched the archive but I wasn't able to find anything particularly old, although I did find a couple of more recent stories (below):

I attended S.J. Willis school. It was well known that it was built on the site of a prison.

It was a very tough inner city school in 1960.

It was a survival training.

It's got a beautiful view. They were smoking in the hallways during my brief stint.

Edited by todd, 22 August 2017 - 07:59 PM.

#8938 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

If you're afraid of random violence walking down a street in Victoria then you are either blissfully ignorant of the real threats in your life - like the cars driving by - or you must be afraid of everything lol.

I do take amusement out of the "we don't leave Victoria often" crowd who seem to have no scope of comparison to the reality of literally the rest of the world.

And what do you suggest when your home suddenly finds itself in the middle of one of those areas to be avoided? I've lived in many large cities in Canada and the US. I've never seen anything like tent city mayhem in victoria or what has happened to the victoria downtown core since.
  • Nparker likes this

#8939 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:07 PM

And what do you suggest when your home suddenly finds itself in the middle of one of those areas to be avoided? I've lived in many large cities in Canada and the US. I've never seen anything like tent city mayhem in victoria or what has happened to the victoria downtown core since.

I don't really believe youve lived in lots of other cities if you found tent city that bad, or you must be super rich and lived in incredibly nice places. Lots of big cities have had tent city equivalents or far worse and have had them for a long time. DTES in Vancouver. Half of downtown Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg. I'm not sure where you've been going but tent city was like 100 square meters of awfulness with a few block compounding radius of property crime. I'm not arguing in favour of tent city - I was among the most vocal "how is this still happening?" advocates both on here and in real life. But let's not pretend that it equates to some sort of giant increase in violence (those people were here already). It did make an increase in that one area at the impact of reducing it in others. Which probably isn't / wasn't a good thing.
  • gstc84 likes this

#8940 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

Not really on the first part. It affects the kids a lot and the neighbours. Our street has a problem house with both dealing and potential domestic violence (kids deal, parents yell and scream at each other). Neighbor called the possibility of violence in to the police who then visited. Next day he got threatened with reprisal by those he called in.
"I know nothing"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users

pontcanna