Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21580 replies to this topic

#9141 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:04 PM

How about Vic PD starts charging for every call to certain properties when it is determined that the call is not criminal in nature. Seems like the the chronic nuisance properties run a skeleton crew to save money cause they know they can call 911 for backup. 

This is what the Nuisance (Business Regulation) Bylaw is for. 

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#9142 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:53 PM

The West Shore RCMP is asking for the public’s help in identifying two women.

They are depicted in a photograph taken on June 15.

These two women are believed to have information that could help further an ongoing investigation and police reiterated that they are not considered suspects.

http://www.vicnews.c...ow-these-women/

WS RCMP continually winning for ridiculous press releases.  Maybe the place or what the investigation is about would be good here WS RCMP.   Why media outlets even post this stuff with so little info is odd to me.

Recall that WS RCMP was chasing after a suspect on full alert after they already had him in custody and also warned of a "Dynamic Police Intervention" in the past.  

They also posted shoplifter suspect photos months after some chocolate bars were stolen from a gas station.  

And this photo is 4 months old.  

They also never solved the wood chipper theft despite clear photos and a knowledge of the suspects.

Poor work here all around.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 October 2017 - 11:06 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9143 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

A major incident is playing out in James Bay right now. A VicPD officer was targeted by a driver while she was speaking to individuals along the side of the road.

James Bay is swarming with police and Menzies is shut down from end to end.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9144 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:40 AM

VicPD got their guy yesterday. The man was sought in connection with what sounded like at least two hit-and-runs and driving his vehicle purposefully towards individuals speaking to at least one VicPD officer. One of the officers stated the man was looking straight at her and smiling.

He was eventually caught in a complex on St. James Street.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9145 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:48 AM

VicPD got their guy yesterday. The man was sought in connection with what sounded like at least two hit-and-runs and driving his vehicle purposefully towards individuals speaking to at least one VicPD officer. One of the officers stated the man was looking straight at her and smiling.

Aweful, I'm glad they caught the bastard.

#9146 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:04 AM

It looks like the hit-and-runs started at Quadra & Johnson - 

https://www.cheknews...ictoria-378767/

#9147 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:34 AM

In some European cities they would have shot the driver dead.

#9148 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

If he'd gotten out and started stabbing people, yes!

Know it all.

#9149 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:05 PM

If he'd gotten out and started stabbing people, yes!

I was thinking more about the drivers who stayed in their vehicle and just mowed people down.

#9150 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

Anything more on the gun incident at the Mayfair parking lot today?

#9151 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

Great letter from Rick Anthony re: the new VicPD armored car - totally agree. IMO Isiit should stick to riding the Sibernian rails with his kid and paying homage to Herr Marx in his scholarly works because he clearly knows jack about this subject:

http://www.timescolo...tion-1.23070054

• rjag, Daveyboy, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#9152 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:17 PM

Great letter from Rick Anthony re: the new VicPD armored car - totally agree. IMO Isiit should stick to riding the Sibernian rails with his kid and paying homage to Herr Marx in his scholarly works because he clearly knows jack about this subject:

Yes, I agree. Maybe by community policing, Isitt is envisioning a UK style 'no guns' policing model.

However, even the UK has crack response teams that are fully outfitted with assault rifles, body armour and heavy equipment.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#9153 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

In case anyone is out of the loop, Rick Anthony is an Oak Bay cop.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9154 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:00 PM

No any more, he retired awhile ago.  Prior to that he was a city cop and a part-time actor at Langham Court Theatre.

#9155 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:22 PM

OBPD- https://www.oakbay.c...otects-his-turf

October 19, 2017

School Liaison Officer Protects His Turf

Last week, the Oak Bay Police advised of numerous bike thefts from Oak Bay High School.  We’re pleased to advise that today, we have one 45 yr old male in custody with multiple charges pending.

Oak Bay Police Department’s School Liaison Officer, Cst. Lueder used a Police Mountain Bike as bait near Oak Bay High School this morning. He surveilled the bike for several hours until an unknown male approached the bike, opened his backpack, and began cutting the lock.

Cst. Lueder left his observation point and arrested the suspect.

The Oak Bay Police are recommending several charges including:

• Attempted Theft Under $5000

• Mischief Under $5000

• Possession of Breaking Tools (photos below)

Possession Stolen Property (credit cards, etc)

Quotes from Deputy Chief Ray Bernoties:

“Our officers take their responsibility to protect Oak Bay personally and perhaps nobody more so than our School Liaison Officer, Cst. Lueder.” 

“He quietly rearranged his morning to enable him to spend a few hours on this ‘one-man operation’. That’s the kind of commitment I see in him on a regular basis and I’m proud to work with him."

https://www.oakbay.c...otects-his-turf

#9156 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:23 PM

Should've used a bait bike worth more than 5k...

• todd likes this

#9157 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:35 PM

Well true he retired as an OB cop but I always think of and remember him as a VicPD member for far, far longer than he was at OB....

#9158 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:44 PM

Well true he retired as an OB cop but I always think of and remember him as a VicPD member for far, far longer than he was at OB....

Whoops, we corrected the story.

For the record, I also spelled Gord Downie's name wrong all over the internet yesterday.

• Mike K. and AllseeingEye like this

#9159 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:09 PM

Four Charges Recommended After Several Motor Vehicle Collisions

VicPD  http://vicpd.ca/node/1732

Friday, October 20, 2017                    File #: 17-45378

Police are recommending four charges against a Victoria man after causing several motor vehicle collisions in the James Bay and downtown areas last night.

Officers were called shortly after 7:30 p.m. after the report of a hit and run with an unoccupied parked vehicle in James Bay with the suspect vehicle fleeing the scene.  Shortly after, the Victoria Police Communication Centre began receiving multiple calls from witnesses about the same vehicle driving erratically and getting involved in another motor vehicle incident with an occupied vehicle in the 1300-block of Quadra Street.

While two officers were investigating the original call, the suspect vehicle returned to the scene and swerved toward the officers who were standing on the roadway causing them to take action to avoid collision, and thankfully were not physically injured.  Multiple other officers attended the area and located the vehicle and suspect a few blocks away.

Investigators are recommending the following charges:

•       Dangerous operation of motor vehicle;

◦       Failure to stop at scene of accident;

◦       Impaired operation of a motor vehicle; and

◦       Refusal to comply with breath demand.

Investigators are looking to speak with a jogger who was running near James Bay Community School during the time of the incident. It is believed that this person was narrowly missed by the suspect vehicle.    

Investigators believe that there may be more hit and runs related to this incident that have yet to be reported. If your vehicle was damaged overnight, or you witnessed a  Brown Audi A6 driving in a reckless manner, call us at 250-995-7654.  To report what you know anonymously please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-8477.

#9160 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

Yes, I agree. Maybe by community policing, Isitt is envisioning a UK style 'no guns' policing model.

However, even the UK has crack response teams that are fully outfitted with assault rifles, body armour and heavy equipment.

Additionally every Brit cop in Northern Ireland is (heavily) armed, all of them, without exception. While the majority of police in England-Wales-Scotland are not 'packing' as you point out there are specific teams and detachments, about 15% of the total police in uniform if memory serves, that have all of the above-noted gear, and are equipped to deal with any threat.

Lets also not forget that the UK is infinitesimally geographically smaller than Canada and is home to some of the best of the best special forces on the planet; in the event the situation calls for expertise beyond what front line police can provide, special units of the British Army, and of course above all the SAS, could theoretically be brought to bear. In this country due if nothing else to the distances involved and depending on which military unit was called upon, it could take hours to get those boots on the ground.

SAS has various troops or squadrons stationed throughout the UK although the primary base as I recall is Hereford near the Welsh border, about the same distance from London as Nanaimo is to Victoria. In a major incident in the capital for example they could likely be there in 20 minutes or so. Our primary regular army units (I think) are still based in Edmonton and would take a minimum of 60-90 minutes to arrive.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users

David Bratzer, Bing (1)