Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21573 replies to this topic

#9161 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:22 AM

Well true he retired as an OB cop but I always think of and remember him as a VicPD member for far, far longer than he was at OB....

And he was the VicPD media spokesperson for many years.

#9162 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:33 AM

Police said they believe there might be other victims.

Investigators ask anyone with information to come forward. Reports can be made through Victoria police at 250-995-7654, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or the Victoria Sexual Assault Centre at 250-383-3232.

Supports for victims of sexual assault are available at vicpd.ca/webelieveyou.

http://www.timescolo...ault-1.23070857

I was having a beer last night with a provincial government lawyer.  I showed the VicPD hashtags and all this WeBelieveYou stuff, this lawyer was appalled.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 21 October 2017 - 06:33 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9163 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:25 AM

this lawyer was appalled.

Did he explain why?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9164 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:33 AM

She, and for the same reasons I don’t like it.
  • sebberry likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9165 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:01 AM

Did he explain why?

What ever happened to the presumption of innocence? I hope that this doesn't turn out to be a false accusation or else the VicPD (ie us) will certainly be cutting this guy a big cheque.

#9166 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

Two VicPD officers are recovering after being injured in the line of duty over the weekend.

In the first incident, a VicPD constable was injured when he and another constable attended Stadacona Park in the 1500-block of Pandora Avenue just after noon on October 21st for a report of a man sleeping in the women’s washroom. When officers approached the man, he became aggressive and attacked both officers, resulting in non-life-threatening injuries to one of the officers. The man was able to escape while one officer attended to the other officer’s injuries. The suspect remains outstanding at this time. A search for this suspect is ongoing.

In the second incident, a VicPD constable was injured while he and his partner pursued a man who they observed breaching conditions by being in possession of a knife. Just after 4 a.m. on Sunday, October 22nd, officers stopped in the 700-block of Johnson Street to speak with two men who appeared to be squaring up for a fight. As they exited their vehicle, they noted that one of the males was armed with a knife. Having interacted with the suspect previously, the officers were aware that the man was in breach of court-ordered conditions not to possess knives.

The armed male dropped the knife and fled the scene. The officers gave chase on foot. During the course of the foot pursuit, of the officers received non-life-threatening injuries. The uninjured officer continued the foot pursuit and was able to catch up with the suspect. At that time, the suspect armed himself with two hypodermic needles and began to fight with the officer. A second knife fell from the suspect during the struggle. The officer was able to physically control the suspect and was in the process of taking the suspect into custody when, despite his injuries, the second officer arrived on scene. The two officers were able to complete taking the man into custody and were able to locate the second knife. Officers recovered two knives and two hypodermic needles. The suspect was taken into custody and charges will be recommended including breaching conditions not to possess knives and not to possess drug paraphernalia.

Both officers are recovering from their injuries.  

https://www.vicpd.ca/node/1735

#9167 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:46 PM

Victoria police spokesman Bowen Osoko said violence against police officers has increasingly become an issue in the city.

"The reality is that our officers do get hurt in the line of duty," said Osoko. "Most of our officers are pretty humble, and they don't want to really go out and say 'Look, we were hurt,' and that sort of thing, but we have seen it increase."

The first incident happened in the same park, Stadacona, that a woman was sexually assaulted in last month.

No arrests have been made in that case and investigators aren't linking it to the Saturday incident, but police say they'll be stepping up patrols in the area.

Golly, I wonder why violence has gone up?  "Bring it on!" rings a bell.  Safe consumption sites may lead to more street people doing drugs too, ever think of that?  Or where the perp got the two needles he was planning to use as a weapon?  You, dear taxpayer, bought them for him.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 23 October 2017 - 08:47 PM.

• Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#9168 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,535 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:55 PM

"At that time, the suspect armed himself with two hypodermic needles and began to fight with the officer. A second knife fell from the suspect during the struggle."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9169 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:22 AM

Golly, I wonder why violence has gone up?  "Bring it on!" rings a bell.  Safe consumption sites may lead to more street people doing drugs too, ever think of that?  Or where the perp got the two needles he was planning to use as a weapon?  You, dear taxpayer, bought them for him.

Had the clean needles not been provided then the culprit would have attacked the officers with dirty needles which would have been far more dangerous.

#9170 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:26 AM

Had the clean needles not been provided then the culprit would have attacked the officers with dirty needles which would have been far more dangerous.

He probably would not have offered them as a weapon, for fear they'd break or become damaged and he'd have to buy new ones.  He knew the weapons he was holding had a free replacement.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 24 October 2017 - 06:26 AM.

#9171 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:43 AM

The "Pricks by Pricks Program"  coming soon to a playground near you.

#9172 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:43 AM

The guy on the loose with the gun at Quadra and McKenzie is the same guy from the armed standoff in Lanfgford last summer.  Odd that he's already out of jail.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#9173 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:53 AM

Victoria police are searching for an Esquimalt man caught on surveillance video during a break-in Monday night in James Bay.

Chase Thomas Hufnagle is described as five-foot-10, Caucasian with a slim to medium build, green eyes and light brown hair that is short on the sides and long on the top. VicPD are pursuing him as a suspect in relation to the break-and-enter in the 300-block of Quebec Street and say he may be on the Lower Mainland.

“Hufnagle was caught on surveillance breaking and entering in the business with an accomplice and stealing items from the business. It’s quite clearly him,” said VicPD spokesperson Bowen Osoko, who did not confirm the location of the incident.

http://www.vicnews.c...reak-and-enter/

This coming from the police department that arrested an 88-year-old man at gunpoint that had phoned in a birthday party reservation at 4-Mile Pub.  Then called out the TC for "erroneous details" but never actually said what they were.

And posted a photo of an innocent man at the Bay Centre a year or so back.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 25 October 2017 - 07:56 AM.

#9174 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:57 AM

The guy on the loose with the gun at Quadra and McKenzie is the same guy from the armed standoff in Lanfgford last summer.  Odd that he's already out of jail.

Odd? This is Canada, not the US.

#9175 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:01 AM

At the time, it was reported that shots were fired at police.  Dunno, you'd think he'd get some time for that.

http://www.timescolo...ndoff-1.2336739

#9176 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

At the time, it was reported that shots were fired at police.  Dunno, you'd think he'd get some time for that.

http://www.timescolo...ndoff-1.2336739

EDIT:  at the end of September, 2016 he received an 11-month jail sentence and a lifetime firearms ban for the Langford Rona incident.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 25 October 2017 - 08:10 AM.

#9177 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:16 AM

VicHockeyFan, on 25 Oct 2017 - 09:10 AM, said:

EDIT:  at the end of September, 2016 he received an 11-month jail sentence and a lifetime firearms ban for the Langford Rona incident.

Guess this time, the system will have to tell him in a "Stern voice", no weapons.

• VicHockeyFan and Love the rock like this

#9178 aastra

aastra
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

...it was reported that shots were fired at police.  Dunno, you'd think he'd get some time for that.

This would seem to fit the recent trend re: downplaying firearms-related incidents in Victoria.

#9179 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:53 AM

This would seem to fit the recent trend re: downplaying firearms-related incidents in Victoria.

In  fairness they only downplay incidents when they are not asking for more money.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#9180 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:00 AM

Isn't there designated place to shoot on Johnson Street?

• todd likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

pontcanna, Gipper, Facebook (1)