Photo

White males to pay more for Premiere of Victoria Comedy Series!

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#41 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:57 PM

Hey. Alright, slow your roll there Mr Kick Ass. Definitely come see the show with your friends but getting all violent-threateny isn't becoming to your station. Justice pricing is A: hilarious. B: presented by "Made You Look Productions" and sir you took the bait like a boss and C: yeah, maybe it's real but I garuteed there's no such thing as a gaydar, so all you gotta do boyo is say "I like men" for a discount. It's not like they're gonna make you prove it right then and there...Just lie and get over yourself. It's also free if you're in legit drag. Quadra Village is a multi ethnic low income region and getting affordable entertainment into the Roxy theatre is awesome (way more appropriaye for the neighborhood than another English repertoire piece..god help blue bridge).

So go a bit gay for a day and save yourself ten bucks, get over yourself.

Seriously dude! 1 guy prints the opposite of what you just wrote and you'd all have him up on hate crime charges....You really are the moron in oxymoron

#42 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

No one said he was smart.
  • sidmohammed likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#43 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:16 PM

The organizer wrote this on VV's Facebook page:

"We at made you look media are sincerely hoping to do our best to make the community a better place. It seems as though the reaction to this is unanticipatedly negative. We are not trying to alienate anyone, so please provide suggestions as to how we can adapt the pricing model to better fit the needs of the community!"

I dunno, charge what you think the product/service is worth rather than what you think certain people can afford to pay based on their gender/sexuality/race. 

• VicHockeyFan and Love the rock like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#44 sidmohammed

sidmohammed
  • Banned
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:52 AM

My name is Sid Mohammed, I am the manager of the event that is unrolling Justice Pricing.

I feel the need to provide some explanations around Justice Pricing.

first of all, no this was never intended to be some kind of attack on white men. It was never intended to be a settling of scores. The simple intent of Justice Pricing is to meet people at their economic level, using very broad strokes.

discriminatory pricing is not a new idea. The concept of pricing in line with perceived purchasing power (and willingness to pay) is as simple as having student and senior discounts. Now, are all students and seniors really less able to pay normal price than the average working adult? No, of course not, there are students who drive quarter million dollar cars and seniors who live in mansions, but the pricing model is statistically sounds despite these outliers. 

So no, not all white men are seeing the financial fruits of their privilege, but many are. White men are the highest earning group in Canada, and as a result we are trying to meet them at their level in order to make the event more affordable for those other groups who don't have the same purchasing power. 

A few notes:
- The discourse around this subject has been very focused on race. Race is not nearly as important to us as gender. The wage gap and disparity between income potential of men and women is a real problem and demands real solutions and adjustments.

-  We really appreciate the discussion this has raised and the respectful tone so many people have taken. I have, however, received a number of death threats privately, and those are a serious matter that will be taken up with the police if they continue. It is not okay to threaten violence and death, even if you feel angry.

- There have been many good insights from people around the problems this pricing model raises. As a result, we've halted ticket sales for the day and are going to be reassessing the pricing model to better fit the needs of the community.

- Please continue to provide your input and let us know where we can improve this. Justice is a group project. We can not achieve it by keeping our ears closed to people, so we're very interested in hearing how people would like to see this adapted.

- The ROXY theatre has no involvement in pricing this event, they are simply a venue we are using.

#45 sidmohammed

sidmohammed
  • Banned
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:17 AM

Also, How come nobody is getting heated about all the "Ladies Nights" that happen around town. Isn't that more or less what we're doing here? Men pay $10 cover, women get in free to the club, bar, pub, etc. I don't see a substantive difference between these two things.

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:10 AM

Hi Sid, thanks for taking the time to opine and welcome to VV.

I think if the pricing applied to all men that would be an entirely different issue. But when singling out cisgendered white men for your pricing scheme and choosing to prop up your decision with examples that apply to non racially divided segments of society (i.e. men of all cultures and backgrounds vs. woman of all cultures and backgrounds) you've forced race into the narrative.

Now I'm not one to get easily offended and doing what I do requires a slightly thicker skin than most professions, but in this instance, given the situation and your reasoning behind it, your pricing scheme is racist and insulting. I would urge you to reconsider this justice pricing scheme and, if so inclined to continue with different strata of pricing, to make it more accessible to seniors and students to access your event and price according to market value for folks who identify as gainfully employed.

• qwerty and Midnightly like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

You would think a guy named Mohammed would be more wary of profiling an entire demographic based on statistics

#48 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

Also, How come nobody is getting heated about all the "Ladies Nights" that happen around town. Isn't that more or less what we're doing here? Men pay $10 cover, women get in free to the club, bar, pub, etc. I don't see a substantive difference between these two things.

If you had planned a "Ladies Comedy Night" then you would have been on better legal footing. This issue was explored by the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario in Maclean v. The Barking Frog, 2013 HRTO 630:

[7]           In response, the applicant argued that, by charging men twice what was being charged to women, the respondent was perpetuating a belief in society than men are less worthy than women. I do not accept that submission. There are many things that could be said about societal beliefs in Ontario, but the notion that men are less worthy than women is not among them. In fact, the entire history of gender discrimination in this province reveals the opposite, which is why women had to fight for basic equality through a right to vote and for equal pay for equal work, to give just two examples.  While progress has been made, discrimination against women in our society still persists, including through under-representation of women in management and political positions of power. In my view, the notion that charging a lower cover charge for women somehow demeans men as a gender in the overall societal context does not bear scrutiny.

[8]           The applicant next argued that charging a higher cover charge for men discourages men from entering the bar. The argument here is that men are excluded and/or made to feel unwelcome in the bar because women are charged less to enter. Quite the contrary. The purpose of “ladies’ nights” is to try to attract more women to enter a bar. But far from being instituted to exclude men, the attraction of more women into a bar is designed to increase overall attendance at the bar and the bar owner’s profit. This is apparently a successful business strategy that has been used by many in the business for many years. Far from operating to exclude or discourage men from entering a bar or to keep bars segregated between genders, one of the primary functions of a “ladies’ night” is to try to increase the attendance of men because of the presence of more women.  I fail to see how this strategy can be seen as substantive discrimination in the overall societal context, in light of the privileged position that men hold in our society.

[9]           It may be that the applicant himself merely wished to attend the bar on the night in question with his friends and in this context the differential fee struck him as unfair. But whether or not something is unfair in some general sense does not mean it is discriminatory within the meaning and purpose of human rights legislation. In my view, in the overall societal and cultural context of Ontario, holding “ladies’ nights” or setting a lower cover charge for women by bars in Ontario cannot be found to substantively discriminate against men. As a result, I find that the Application has no reasonable prospect of success.

The situation is very different with respect to the comedy show you are planning at the Roxy Theatre.  In my view, forcing individuals to reveal their sexual orientation and gender identity - simply to attend a comedy show - is a step too far.  So there is a definite possibility that a complaint to the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal would be successful.

• rjag likes this

#49 JamesBayRay

JamesBayRay
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

This is almost as funny as the time they implemented a 'No Moshing' rule after booking DRI with Cryptic Slaughter... Then Howie tried to enforce it... Good times.

• Matt R. likes this

#50 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

My name is Sid Mohammed, I am the manager of the event that is unrolling Justice Pricing.

I feel the need to provide some explanations around Justice Pricing.

<snip>

- The ROXY theatre has no involvement in pricing this event, they are simply a venue we are using.

Try explaining that to the Roxy Theatre when they are named as a respondent on a complaint to the BC Human Rights Tribunal.

For an example please see Pardy v. Earle and others (No. 4), 2011 BCHRT 101. Mr. Earle was a comedian, Zesty's was the restaurant where his show was held, and Mr. Ismail was the owner of Zesty's:

[501]      In assessing the extent of the Zesty respondents’ responsibility for injury to Ms. Pardy’s dignity, feelings and self respect, the factors I have taken into account include their own conduct, including Mr. Ismail’s apology; the steps he took to remove Mr. Earle from further performances and prevent a recurrence; and the conduct of Mr. Earle for which I have found the Zesty respondents liable.

[502]      After careful consideration of all the evidence, the submissions of the parties, and the relevant law, I order Mr. Earle to pay Ms. Pardy $15,000 for injury to her dignity, feelings, and self respect.  Mr. Earle is individually liable for this amount.

[503]      After similar careful consideration, I order Zesty and Mr. Ismail to pay Ms. Pardy $7,500 for injury to her dignity, feelings and self respect.  The Zesty respondents are jointly and severally liable for this amount.

To be clear, I have no interest or intention of filing a complaint myself. But I'm posting this because you seem to have no idea of the jeopardy you've created for the Roxy Theatre.

#51 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:28 PM

That's it I'm opening a new restaurant in Richmond. Rich asians pay double. They need to check their asian cisnormative privilege.

Edited by PraiseKek, 18 September 2017 - 01:29 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#52 sidmohammed

sidmohammed
  • Banned
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

The situation is very different with respect to the comedy show you are planning at the Roxy Theatre.  In my view, forcing individuals to reveal their sexual orientation and gender identity - simply to attend a comedy show - is a step too far.  So there is a definite possibility that a complaint to the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal would be successful.

Not asking anyone to reveal their sexual orientation or gender identity. 

Edited by sidmohammed, 18 September 2017 - 01:56 PM.

#53 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:27 PM

I'll be missing this, but indeed very probably won't be missing very much at all - if anything.

Presumably the performers in the actual show will have been vetted in audition by the very same folks who came up with this insanely racist ticket pricing model ... and the brain that came up with that ticket pricing is not the brain I want selecting the "comedians" onstage, and judging what is "funny" and what isn't funny.

You have to wonder with this crew in charge of programming and ticket sales ... how on earth the show could possibly be funny?

A miss.

#54 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:27 PM

How so? If a gay/noncis-gendered white dude shows up, he must either reveal his identity or pay a $10 fine.
  • VicHockeyFan, jonny and Midnightly like this

#55 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:28 PM

HUH?

Cost: $10 GA/ $20 for Cisgender White Males (Justice Pricing)

cis·gen·der

sisˈjendər/
adjective

1. denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender corresponds with their birth sex.

• jonny and David Bratzer like this

#56 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:34 PM

Sid, there is a huge difference between providing a group or subset of people with a promotional discount and a surcharge based upon race, gender and sexual orientation.

Price discrimination usually refers to pricing broken down into age groups (kids, seniors, adults, etc.). That is not how you have positioned or promoted your pricing model at all

There is zero correlation between this and a 'ladies night' promotional discount. 

I hope your show goes broke. I hope it's a total flop. Honestly. 

• LJ likes this

#57 JamesBayRay

JamesBayRay
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:02 PM

It is a little different when you are implying I have done something wrong by calling it a 'Justice Fee' 

• rjag likes this

#58 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:04 PM

Seriously Sid, you need to consider a different career....perhaps one where you dont need to use imagination....

#59 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:07 PM

cis·gen·der
sisˈjendər/
adjective

denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender corresponds with their birth sex.

Just so we all know this means that gay white men in reality would be required to pay the justice pricing. I am quite happy with the sex I was born, and most gay men are...

Edited by sdwright.vic, 18 September 2017 - 04:08 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#60 qwerty

qwerty
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:40 PM

Looks like pricing model has been updated:

From http://buildingthero...or/sidmohammed/

We are proud to announce that we are now only charging White Cis-Straight Able-Bodied Males $15, and this price will also be applied to foreign buyers

As an additional way to open dialogue, we will be asking the $15 group to sit in one area of the theatre and discuss their experiences.

This has to be a parody.

• David Bratzer likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users