286 replies to this topic

#101 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:48 AM

How about this bid booster?

New York City

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio told reporters that he's never shopped on Amazon before, but that doesn't mean his city isn't interested in hosting Amazon's second headquarters.

"I have never ordered from Amazon. That's no disrespect to Amazon. God bless Amazon. I believe in bricks-and-mortar," de Blasio said.

Despite never using the platform, his administration is working on a proposal for the second headquarters, he said.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#102 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:33 AM

lol say what? I know a couple myself who live in condos in Vancouver. 

Agreed. The 'serious execs' I know have many condos around the world. Turnkey living with no lawns to mow or staff to have to deal with or than their PAs.

• Nparker likes this

#103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

Speaking of Amazon, the company’s PR firm ...er, newspaper, the Washington Post, is taking fire for NOT reporting on a $300 million fine levied against Amazon by the EU.

Anyways, back to the discussion at hand...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#104 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

Amazon has reportedly leased 76,000 square feet of office space in Vancouver. That's not huge for a massive company like Amazon, but it's significant for Vancouver. 

• Nparker likes this

#105 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:46 AM

Speaking of Amazon, the company’s PR firm ...er, newspaper, the Washington Post, is taking fire for NOT reporting on a $300 million fine levied against Amazon by the EU.

https://www.washingt...m=.fb671fe6775e

I assume they are taking fire from people who get their news from the Drudge Report, rather than from those who actually read the Washington Post. Because the Post is where I first read about the fine.

• Nparker, johnk, nerka and 1 other like this

#106 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:05 PM

There is infowars https://www.infowars...tax-dodge-fine/ and then there is actual real information

#107 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

You guys don’t follow Drudge? Dudes, it’s an amazing source of news.

But that aside, do you really think the NYT wants to start pointing fingers at WaPo? Maybe USA Today can start criticizing them both? Newspapers don’t often cast a negative light on their peers. That’s not kosher. It’s guys like Drudge are for. It’s guys like Michael Moore are for (for the opposite side of the spectrum).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#108 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

So many, or I guess most transportation systems were designed way before GPS. I really wonder if there is not a new cheap way to run pods on an elevated or slightly elevated track beside the highway.

Ah, yes. The fabled PRT, or Personal Rapid Transit. Total pipedream sold by snakeoil salesmen.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#109 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:12 AM

here is a list of over 50 cities bidding for the amazon headquarters.  Langford, Richmond and Surrey aren't even on the list

https://www.inc.com/...adquarters.html

It also says the 2nd HQ will create 50,000 jobs, I would like to know where these people are going to come from as in my business and a lot of other people I know who own companies its very difficult to find people right now

#110 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

50000 jobs, but that's probably going to take a decade to get that high. I'm sure a number, particularly at the higher levels, will also be transfers from Seattle.

#111 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

right now Greater Victoria doesn't even have 5,000 available workers

#112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:04 AM

50,000 direct, Amazon Inc jobs, or is that total Amazon Inc jobs plus indirect jobs (ancillary staff, cleaning, security, food services, support services and businesses, etc).

Know it all.

#113 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

50,000 direct, Amazon Inc jobs, or is that total Amazon Inc jobs plus indirect jobs (ancillary staff, cleaning, security, food services, support services and businesses, etc).

More bike lanes!

#114 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

From the article I posted above it says "Amazon said it would invest $5 billion in the construction of its new headquarters, and it hopes to eventually house 50,000 Amazon staff members there"

I have to assume that means direct jobs.  That means Greater Victoria doesn't have a hope in hell

#115 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

Dale Gann with the City of Langford’s Economic Development Committee took the bid to Amazon’s headquarters himself on Thursday morning.

“Final binding was last night and this morning I personally delivered it down to Seattle,” said Gann.

Langford now joins dozens of other municipalities across North America hoping to lure the online retail giant to their community.

https://www.cheknews...uarters-378738/

#116 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:47 AM

Dale Gann was the former president of the University of Victoria’s Vancouver Island Technology Park and the Marine Technology Centre.

http://www.gann.ca/

#117 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,769 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

I'd love to hear the laughter at Amazon when (if?) they review Langford's bid.

#118 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

Amazon has reportedly leased 76,000 square feet of office space in Vancouver. That's not huge for a massive company like Amazon, but it's significant for Vancouver. 

Rumor is they initially wanted all of Bentall II - not cheap real estate by a long shot. Stew's play clearly is simply to get Langford onto the broader radar; in doing so if he manages to bag a smaller, second tier employer it is a game hand well played. He's been angling for a BCG entity, ministry or crown corp, for ages as we all know. FWIW my bet is Amazon goes to one of Toronto, Boston, Dallas or Atlanta, in that order....

#119 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:03 PM

I saw One list that had Austin at #1. Hard to argue that people would not like that. I hear it’s awesime.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#120 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:34 PM

I saw One list that had Austin at #1. Hard to argue that people would not like that. I hear it’s awesime.

Jeff Bezos has deep ties to Texas so that state is a front runner for sure. They also obviously have the requisite infrastructure and the population. And yes Austin is off-the-wall in its awesomeness......

• VicHockeyFan likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users