Photo

Amazon HQ2 bid by Langford/Westshore in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#141 Fixerdave

Fixerdave
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

Nanaimo and points south bring us just barely up to 600,000, and that's including Port Alberni.

I stand corrected.  For some reason, when I first searched for the Greater Victoria population, I got something like 680,000 as the number.  Then, I just added in a couple hundred thousand for Nanaimo and points south.  But, when I search now, Greater Victoria comes out in the 370,000 range.  Not sure where I went wrong... maybe that original number was for a far broader "Victoria area" that already included Nanaimo and more.  Thus, I double-counted.

Sorry for the confusion.  And, yes, I'll admit it makes the Langford bid less attractive.

New Jersey offered $7B in tax breaks.

http://www.chicagotr...1017-story.html

I don't think it's going to be a bidding war, even if Amazon makes it out to be.  

Next up, we'll get the "Finalist" list, which will include their target, then something else in another province, and likely a couple more in 2 different states.  Thus, they'll get bidding between nations and also at the province/state level.  We just have to keep in mind that it's a game and Amazon probably already knows where it's going to go.

That said, the highest bidder is going to be a finalist just so the actual target thinks bidding is important.  But, if something like Langford makes the finalist round, it's a done-deal.  No need to bid at all... just change the city's name to Amazonia or something and be done with it.

David...

#142 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:38 PM

Oh yeah, no sweat.

I think you might have come across an older stat relating to the entire Island's population. Today it is at 800,000.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#143 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

Once Amazon moves to Langford with their 50,000 new jobs they will be able to put their candidate in the mayors chair.

#144 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:01 PM

Once Amazon moves to Langford with their 50,000 new jobs they will be able to put their candidate in the mayors chair.

The current mayor seems pretty pro amazonian.... suppose some will/would be living in other municipalities....

#145 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:09 PM

See what the editor of Douglas magazine has to say.

Page 6 of the Oct/Nov issue.

https://issuu.com/page-one/docs/don17

#146 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

Goood work folks we lost the bid we proved we’re a bunch of negative nellies stew probably had it in the bag.

#147 Fixerdave

Fixerdave
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

If Amazon HQ sets up in Langford, they might as well just move City Hall into the HQ and be done with it.  Why even pretend? 

Even at 20% of that 50,000 target, they'll still be the biggest employer, likely by a factor of 10.

From a corporate perspective, it's one of those time when having so many different municipalities in one area actually becomes a plus.  All the benefits of a larger area yet a local municipal government totally beholding to a large corporate entity.  That's the kind of power a CEO is going to appreciate.  Langford, I mean Amazonia residents might not like it so much, but whatever.  At least they won't have to do the crawl anymore.

David...

• Bingo likes this

#148 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:21 PM

Wow.

CBC just put out a list of Canadian cities vying for HQ2 as its been dubbed. Langford isn't even on their list as sincere entry, but the author did pay a tiny ode to the Victoria suburb with a 19 word mention at the butt-end of Vancouver's bid details.

Thank you, CBC, for not caring enough about a serious contender in your own country and choosing to mention no more than Langford's "affordable" housing and proximity to universities. http://www.cbc.ca/ne...anada-1.4363929

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#149 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:25 PM

Wow.

CBC just put out a list of Canadian cities vying for HQ2 as its been dubbed. Langford isn't even on their list as sincere entry, but the author did pay a tiny ode to the Victoria suburb with a 19 word mention at the butt-end of Vancouver's bid details.

Thank you, CBC, for not caring enough about a serious contender in your own country and choosing to mention no more than Langford's "affordable" housing and proximity to universities. http://www.cbc.ca/ne...anada-1.4363929

Where is David Black when we could have used him.  :mad:

...just kidding.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#150 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:26 PM

^^ stop drinking the Koolaid. Langford may have put in a serious bid, but they are not a serious candidate, simply by virtue of Amazon's list of requirements.

#151 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:32 PM

Oh I agree. But it's not for the CBC to decide who is and who isn't a serious contender.

Halifax can't even muster a million people until it goes searching in the furthest reaches of its own province and dips into the next, and it gets its own spot on the pedestal ...because the CBC has an office there, so it must be important?

Langford is part of the CRD, and if one of our own municipalities takes a stab at something we all do.

• Bingo likes this

Know it all.

#152 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:22 PM

You guys are in for a huge surprise

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#153 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:48 PM

Oh I agree. But it's not for the CBC to decide who is and who isn't a serious contender.

Halifax can't even muster a million people until it goes searching in the furthest reaches of its own province and dips into the next, and it gets its own spot on the pedestal ...because the CBC has an office there, so it must be important?

Langford is part of the CRD, and if one of our own municipalities takes a stab at something we all do.

Difference is, as I've pointed out before, the "furthest reaches of its province" for Halifax is a 2 hour drive in any direction except north (its about 4 hours to Cape Breton, less time that it takes to drive to the other end of Vancouver Island); and a lot less than that if the direction is west: unlike Victoria, Halifax is a truly regional center - politically and economically and is the dominant center for the entire Maritime region of the country. The only thing we dominate is the south island. Beyond that we exert no influence thanks to the proximity of Vancouver. Big difference.

#154 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

None of that changes the fact that Halifax has 400,000 people.

Know it all.

#155 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:48 PM

I mentioned to a friend who is a Boston executive, and originally from here, that Langford put in a bid and he had a good laugh

#156 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:18 PM

The CBC/federal government always make obligatory mentions of Halifax, some place in Quebec, some place in Ontario (usually Toronto), Calgary, and Vancouver. By doing so they account for all Canadians and neatly summarize the totality of the national experience.

• VicHockeyFan, jonny, lanforod and 1 other like this

#157 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:14 PM

...as I've pointed out before, the "furthest reaches of its province" for Halifax is a 2 hour drive in any direction except north (its about 4 hours to Cape Breton, less time that it takes to drive to the other end of Vancouver Island);

There's another way of looking at it: the next nearest city to Halifax is Moncton. Moncton isn't large, it's only slightly larger than Nanaimo. But Moncton is more than 100 miles away from Halifax by air and more than 130 miles away from Halifax by car. In that same space in the pacific northwest you've got Seattle, Vancouver, Tacoma, Victoria, Abbotsford, Bellingham, Olympia, and Nanaimo. Maybe ~8 million people within proximity to Victoria as versus ~1 million within proximity to Halifax? Halifax and Victoria themselves are basically the same size, but Halifax is much more remote by any sensible measure. Most Canadian cities are remote. They tend to be isolated off on their own and not part of a larger populated region (the exceptions being the cities of southern Ontario and the cities of southwestern BC + the cities of Puget Sound). This map provides a good illustration of which places are isolated and which places aren't. Any city that isn't part of a region (a cluster of other cities) is isolated by definition. Halifax is all by itself, well away from the next nearest city let alone the nearest region. In fact, the distance from Halifax to the nearest region (or to Montreal, also not part of a 2050 region) is only slightly less than the distance from the Seattle/Vancouver region to the San Francisco region. That's a long way. Nobody would claim that Seattle/Vancouver and the Bay area are cozy. Yet many Canadians will claim that Halifax isn't isolated because it's so "close" to Boston or even to New York City. Halifax is as close to New York City as Victoria is to San Francisco.

Edited by aastra, 22 October 2017 - 09:19 PM.

• Mike K., Matt R., jonny and 1 other like this

#158 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:37 PM

Those are a lot of miles to drive if you are looking for the nearest tsunami escape route and we already have those and more in Langford. 

Once the Dayliner is running we can shuttle folks by rail up to the Malahat summit to safety.

#159 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

^^I do agree there are 8 million people in a 100 mile radius, but being on an Island it takes forever to get to the other 7.5 million and its extremely expensive.  How many people over here decide to pop over to Vancouver for a hockey game or dinner?  Extremely few I bet

When I lived in Vancouver I remember driving down to Seattle for the day for shopping, or lunch, etc

#160 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:51 AM

You're right tjv. Nobody rides the ferry over to Vancouver. 

• VicHockeyFan, aastra and Matt R. like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users