Photo

Urban noise, smells - sirens etc.

• Please log in to reply
550 replies to this topic

#421 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:14 AM

I'm going to write to Ben and ask for him to push for a ban on fossil fuel powered leaf blowers :)

There was a city worker using an electric backpack one this morning in Centennial and admittedly it worked pretty poorly.

The plug in ones aren't too bad though.

Electric does not necessarily equal lower decibels, especially when you match power.

#422 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:17 AM

Victoria

Leaf blowers 17 Despite any other provision of this Bylaw, a person may operate a leaf blower in or adjacent to a residential area, or a mixed residential and commercial area, if (a) the equivalent sound level does not exceed 65 dBA on an approved sound meter when received at the greater of the following distances from that leaf blower: (i) the point of reception; (ii) 15.2 m; and (b) the person operates the leaf blower (i) between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. on a weekday, or (ii) between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday http://www.victoria....ylaw-03-012.pdf Exemptions specified: the City’s Parks Division maintenance work between 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on any day; ----- the nightly cleaning of streets and sidewalks and the collection of garbage from sidewalk refuse bins within the downtown core area by the City’s Public Works staff; ----- the noon cannon at Laurel Point; ....................
Oak Bay (5) (a) on Saturday, Sunday or a holiday, the operation of a leaf blower at a time outside the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; (b) from Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, the operation of a leaf blower at a time outside the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. https://www.oakbay.c...bylaws/3210.pdf Between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. on any day, Section 4(5) shall not apply to the operation of a leaf blower by municipal crews acting in the course of their employment or engagement by The Corporation, nor to the operation of a leaf blower on the lands shown in bold outline on Schedule “A” attached to this Bylaw................

Edited by todd, 28 September 2016 - 10:40 AM.

#423 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:06 AM

I'm pretty sure Ben was more concerned with the marine diesel and/or gasoline in the lake as opposed to the noise.

I'm not saying I'm for or against a ban but it's pretty disgusting when you're going to swim in a lake and you can see the film on top of the entire lake.

#424 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:06 AM

Exemptions...

So if I were to fire the Laurel Point Cannon at the leaf blowers that would be permitted under the bylaw.

#425 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:04 PM

Gasoline and diesel both evaporate very quickly.

#426 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:16 PM

Exemptions...

So if I were to fire the Laurel Point Cannon at the leaf blowers that would be permitted under the bylaw.

Yes.

#427 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

Hmm, well there you have it. I had no idea City crews were allowed to operate as early as 6AM.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#428 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:41 AM

Hmm, well there you have it. I had no idea City crews were allowed to operate as early as 6AM.

That necessary?

Looks like by my interpretation of the bylaw in the City of Victoria city public work crews can use leaf blowers at 3:00am or any time on city streets, and at any decibel.

Edited by todd, 29 September 2016 - 10:58 AM.

#429 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:38 AM

Colwood homeowners living ‘in a war zone,’ blame blasting

Colwood resident Sue Courey points to a crack in her living-room wall that stretches up toward the ceiling.

It first appeared as a 20-centimetre vein in her Coleman Place home, after blasting began nearby one and a half years ago.

Since then, the crack has quadrupled in size.

She also points to window panes that have dropped a centimetre in their frames, jammed doors and a crack in her foundation. They’re evidence, she said, that continued rock blasting on nearby Latoria Road is damaging homes such as hers, which is only four years old.

“It’s like living in a war zone,” Courey said.

She has an 80cm crack in her wall.

This is Aleppo:

aleppo-may.jpg

I suggest she tones down her "war zone" remarks.

Serious first-world problems syndrome.

• Nparker and todd like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#430 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:42 AM

The neighbours have approached the city, but were told it’s not the city’s responsibility to monitor work sites.

Perhaps that's the case, but if you were building a deck and a neighbour complained about it to the city, the city would be all over you.

They have begun the insurance-claim process, but say they fear longer-term effects, such as their insurance rates going up and housing prices going down.

Why would the homeowner's insurance rate go up?  Shouldn't their insurer be seeking to recover the damages from the blaster/developers?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#431 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:20 AM

I suggest she tones down her "war zone" remarks.

Maybe planning a counter strike.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#432 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:37 PM

Perhaps that's the case, but if you were building a deck and a neighbour complained about it to the city, the city would be all over you.

Why would the homeowner's insurance rate go up?  Shouldn't their insurer be seeking to recover the damages from the blaster/developers?

The blasting company has insurance, that's who will pay for it, it won't affect her rates at all.

In most muni's before any blasting occurs near a built up area all the homeowners and businesses in the affected area get a letter notifying them of the blasting and an insurance adjuster comes around to take pictures of your home before the blasting in order to verify any subsequent damage that may occur.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#433 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:14 PM

I've received notices before but nobody has ever knocked on the door to assess the condition of the building. Is this something Langford requires, perhaps?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#434 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:20 PM

If you buy a house on the side of a mountain, that rock probably needed to be blasted out for your foundation.

And if the surrounding area is a rock pile that is still being developed using even more blasting, it should be of no surprise that in the process your walls are cracking.

A bit of buyer beware.

#435 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:45 PM

I've received notices before but nobody has ever knocked on the door to assess the condition of the building. Is this something Langford requires, perhaps?

It is most definitely something Langford requires. We have some blasting going to take place in our vicinity and the insurance company spent over an hour with us taking pictures etc. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#436 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:50 PM

Oh wow. That's not a bad idea.

Know it all.

#437 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:40 AM

Can we definitively confirm when private property owners are allowed to start using leaf blowers in the City of Victoria?

Know it all.

#438 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:48 AM

Can we definitively confirm when private property owners are allowed to start using leaf blowers in the City of Victoria?

Are you suggesting they have a protest blow in at City Hall?

#439 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:23 AM

Capture.JPG

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#440 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:30 PM

Are you suggesting they have a protest blow in at City Hall?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE89Js_DPDw

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users