Photo

MOUNT DOUG

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:59 PM

I love this park, a huge forest and mountain on the edge of suburbia, easily reached by the #28 bus route! The west face is my favourite part, you practically have to scale up a near-vertical rock wall, it's awesome. There's also a tiny abandoned mine shaft (commonly called "Cougar Cave") at the base of this face that's fun to explore.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:01 PM

Do you have more info about that mine shaft?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:49 PM

My first expereriance in Victoria I went up Mount Doug in...1994? My aunt took me at night and showed me the whole city from up there. It's such a great place. I love it up there.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:21 PM

You know, I was at Lambrick Park on the weekend catching some baseball, and the mountain in the background was spectacular.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:25 PM

I think someone hijacked VHF's account :D

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:33 PM

I don't know the history of the shaft Derf, but I'm pretty sure it was abondoned before it could even be used. It goes back pretty far though.

#7 RussC

RussC
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:23 PM

I have lived in Victoria for a few years and have enjoyed driving up Mt Doug for the spectacular views it offers. I am aware of the extensive trail network and recently did a bit of hiking with my young son. I do a lot of trail work at Mt Work Hartland and to be honest I was very disappointed with the condition of the trail below the summit parking lot. Does anyone do trail maintenance up there? That trail is a MESS and needs to be redesigned so it doesn't go down the fall line and continue to contribute to the erosion eyesore that it is. Do the Friends of Mt Doug do any trail maintenance? If not, some group should as trails always need human intervention to counteract the impacts of use.

#8 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:00 AM

Trails out that way (mt. work) tend to follow the old logging roads. They've grown in with vegetation significantly since last logged, but the routes have been travelled by vehicles, and more recently only foot and bike traffic. That being said, old logging roads tend to take the cheapest alternative to harvesting the trees. This often means a route that crosses a water path or altering a waterpath, as they usually follow the lowlands, reducing the grades required to harvest the forest. these lower lying roads often become the new course for streams to follow in the winters, and often wash out the roads. If they would've built the roads properly to begin with this may not be as big of an issue. Those parks and private lands out there are more rural, so don't expect the same treatment that Beacon Hill, or Mt. Doug would receive. It's more like visiting the Juan De Fuca Trail parks. Heck it's in the same Electoral District. Sorry about the rambling, but I hope my answers came close to answering some of your question.

#9 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:21 AM

^I think that RussC is referring to Mt Doug when saying that the trails are bad.

#10 RussC

RussC
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:45 PM

^I think that RussC is referring to Mt Doug when saying that the trails are bad.

Yes, I am referring to Mt Doug when I said the trails were a mess. The trail below the parking lot at the top is really bad. It follows the fall line and because of this has caused extensive water and erosion damage to the hill.

The trails out at Mt Work Hartland are maintained every month by volunteers of the South Island Mt Bike Society. It has taken quite a few years to get them to the condition they are in now... which is one whereby they are sustainable and can stand up to the public traffic they see.

I'd like to see the same effort put into the trails at Mt Doug.

#11 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:18 AM

Me and my friends just went up the mountain today. Where there were trails, they seemed pretty good. We took some nice pics off the top and on our way up, I should post them whe we get them scanned.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#12 missjanny

missjanny
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

Watch for upgrades to the summit and pathway from upper parking lot to summit.
There is a good trail map of Mt Douglas at http://saanich.ca/resident/parks/pdfs/mountdoug.pdf

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:13 PM

Ya, Douglas Creek is pretty cool.

Wait a minute, this says that Mt. Doug was logged, and was also formerly known as Cedar Hill.

http://en.wikipedia.... ... r_Victoria)

Anyone know why the road is named Churchill Drive (I'm guessing after Winston, but not sure why/when named)?

In 1942, Emily Carr claimed to have had a vision while visiting a friend in Vancouver. The vision inspired her to return immediately to Mount Douglas Park where she felt the "forest had something to tell her". There, for a few weeks in August of that year, she painted her last works which were both mystical and enchanting.

Hmmm, that Carr chick was sure wierd.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:55 PM

Looks like Mayor A. E. Todd decided to build the road up to the top, but he was Mayor 1917-1919.

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:44 PM

As much as I think driving up Mount Doug is cool when I'm too lazy to climb it, I think they should close the road.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:15 PM

As much as I think driving up Mount Doug is cool when I'm too lazy to climb it, I think they should close the road.

Blasphemy. Obesity is the number one disease, and plans to stay #1 for some time. As long as that's the case, we need powered vehicles to get us to the top.

We also need a road up to the top of Mt. Finlayson.

We could also use a cable-car going from the top of Mt. Doug to the top of Mt. Tolmie. It could have a station at University Heights Mall, to get off to shop or watch a movie. Gondola Station would be a cool name for a band.

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:50 PM

Gondola Station would be a cool name for a band.

So would Flight Path Hazard.

:razz:
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:57 PM

Planes have never hit a gondola cable [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/275485.stm?:0a136]have they?[/url:0a136]

#19 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:24 PM

They should just mine the hill (common it's no mountain) for the rock, and build something cool with it. Mt. Doug took my father's best friends life.

Haha just kidding (except for the part about my dad's bestfriend), I like it the way it is even with the drive up there, cause you still have to book it to the top.

#20 rdvibrantvictoria

rdvibrantvictoria
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

I know this is an old thread, but for any others that come across it, there is a cool youtube video on the cave

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7Ca2BRuuCWU

enjoy

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users