MOUNT DOUG

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:48 AM

Do any local First Nations use that language though?  Or want to?  And if so, why?  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 September 2017 - 11:48 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

OK I see what you were getting at now. Has the "Pkols" issue been reinvigorated recently? Despite being a Saanich issue, was it on Ben's radar?

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:08 PM

I was going to ask just that. Is there a movement underway to append First Nations names to Elk/Beaver lakes signage?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

Maybe they could move the Sir Jonny A. MacDonald statue to Elk Lake Park

#45 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:48 PM

Do any local First Nations use that language though?  Or want to?  And if so, why?

seriously? maybe for the same reason white europeans use their own language, even just at home or with their friends?

I was going to ask just that. Is there a movement underway to append First Nations names to Elk/Beaver lakes signage?

is there a reason why not? as long as there's something on there that I can read I don't really care if there are a dozen other languages.
  • Mike K. likes this

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

seriously? maybe for the same reason white europeans use their own language, even just at home or with their friends?

That would be a language spoken by hundreds of thousands, or millions, still.  With books, etc.  Why introduce a new language to kids that have never spoken it, and never will find it useful?  It'd be like teaching the Aztec language to Mexicans.  I see no benefit.  History tells us it's best to always use the language of the conquering nation.  After all, they must be doing something right to conquer you.  Take Mandarin lessons now, kids.   :banana:

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 September 2017 - 04:27 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

an actual linguist can probably answer that better than I can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOIM1_xOSro
  • RoadRunner likes this

#48 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:14 PM

7E573DD7-E2EC-474A-99DF-BB82113EE6A8.jpeg
  • rjag likes this

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:20 PM

I don’t recall seeing those hydro wires like that. Are they new?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#50 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:24 PM

I don’t recall seeing those hydro wires like that. Are they new?

I think they been there for a while probably for the big antenna. It was making me think how cool it would be to run a zip line down.

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:30 PM

Right! That’s what I thought it was, actually.

Know it all.

#52 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:01 PM

I'm pretty sure that's the remains of VicHockeyFan's abandoned Mt. Doug to Mt. Tolmie zipline proposal circa 2010.

• Mike K., rjag, sebberry and 2 others like this

#53 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:40 PM

Well how thick do you think that conduit is?

#54 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:10 PM

We calculated thick enough to hold an average person but WorkSafe is all "not certified blah blah" whatever.

• sebberry and todd like this

#55 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,957 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:24 AM

Someone illegally dumped household items and furniture on Glendenning Road, prompting a complaint to the District of Saanich on Monday afternoon.

Another complaint came in Tuesday morning at 9:47 a.m. via Twitter from local and frequent dog-walker Rayna Corner to notify Saanich of the items. Glendenning Road runs south from Mount Doug Park to Mount Douglas Cross Road along a residential street.

https://www.vicnews....t-douglas-park/

it's not the end of the world.  crews dealt with it promptly.  some cities have large garbage pick-up included in their services.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 January 2020 - 11:27 AM.

#56 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 05:20 PM

Someone illegally dumped household items and furniture on Glendenning Road, prompting a complaint to the District of Saanich on Monday afternoon.

Another complaint came in Tuesday morning at 9:47 a.m. via Twitter from local and frequent dog-walker Rayna Corner to notify Saanich of the items. Glendenning Road runs south from Mount Doug Park to Mount Douglas Cross Road along a residential street.

https://www.vicnews....t-douglas-park/

it's not the end of the world.  crews dealt with it promptly.  some cities have large garbage pick-up included in their services.

Wasn’t I sitting on that chair at your Christmas party?

#57 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 05:35 PM

Oak Bay did do an annual large item trash day for many years about 20 years ago or so but got rid of it I think maybe because maybe people were putting recyclable items in the pile. Good free stuff back then got some good items out of those trash piles.

#58 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,957 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 04:38 AM

PKOLS to be new official name for Mount Douglas Park

A ceremony to mark the W̱SÁNEĆ name is being planned.

https://www.timescol...as-park-5705705

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 August 2022 - 04:38 AM.

#59 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 06:04 AM

More virtue signaling. Everyone will still call it Mt. Doug Park.

#60 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 06:29 AM

More virtue signaling. Everyone will still call it Mt. Doug Park.

Likely for a few years, then people will adjust and/or get over it. I don’t know anyone who still calls Haida Gwaii the Queen Charlotte Islands, or Uluru as Ayers Rock. A good number of people I know have been calling it P’Kols for a decade already. This is a simple change, and meaningful for the people who care about it.
  • Matt R., vortoozo and marks_28 like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users