Shine Cafe | Victoria | 1548 Fort St. & Blanshard @ Johnson

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

Out of date image there Holden..

Both Sour and the home decor store now have their gates installed..

I concur with Jada.. one of the most friendly service places I've found... and good two eggs sunnyside etc..

#22 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:02 PM

I know it has been said before, but when you post articles on places to see or restaurants to try could you post the location or address of them.

It really helps us new guys who are trying to familiarize ourselves with the area.

Thanks
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#23 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:09 PM

The Sour Pickle's on Store St. btwn Pandora and Fisgard.

#24 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:22 AM

Hey, I'm already a regular at the Sour Pickle. Their breakfast special is usually just what I'm looking for.

I actually like the breakfast at Swans too. I have to someday try the Wild Saffron. I have never gone because I like the food at Swans. They have to have the same cooks, right?

#25 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

^not sure if they're the same cook. Wild Saffron is great food. Swans seems more mediocre. I could be wrong though.

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

They have different cooks at Wild Saffron.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#27 legendary

legendary
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

When I first ate at Shine I was blown away, great service, amazing food and drinks. However the last time I went there I was very dissapointed. The portions got smaller, the food took longer and when I got my food I realized it took so long because everything was overcooked. The love is gone... it seems like the servers are always different. I haven't been back in a while, but I miss it.

#28 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

I think the place got too popular for its own good. I stopped even trying to go there due to huge lines. Any business with huge lines is stupid (from a capitalistic point of view) not to increase prices or cut service to balance things out and maximize their profits. Word will get out that it isn't very good anymore, the crowds will vanish, and they'll start having to make good food and offer good service again. Who knows!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#29 legendary

legendary
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:36 PM

I think the place got too popular for its own good. I stopped even trying to go there due to huge lines. Any business with huge lines is stupid (from a capitalistic point of view) not to increase prices or cut service to balance things out and maximize their profits.

I couldn't agree more, I was just saying that to someone who works there, they raised the prices $1 across the board last year, I would do the same now. Not until they fix the food however. Love is free

#30 AztecPainting

AztecPainting

PaintContractor

• 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:54 PM

I really like Shine Cafe, is it always busy? I don't know, I've been there only on sundays, sometimes 30 min wait and that's annoying, specially when you have a big group of people, the place is fairly small but it is pretty cute and colourful, my food it's always great till now and I love their hash browns. Oh yeah!
I think prices are fairly reasonable.

#31 legendary

legendary
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:41 PM

I really like Shine Cafe, is it always busy?

Sundays are their busiest days. Line ups are very rare on weekdays. Their hashbrowns rock, they don't deep-fry them like other greasy spoons. But the 9 or 10 over cooked squares of Montreal Steak Spice I had last time isn't their best work.

#32 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:41 PM

Went recently, stories of its fall are true.

-Staff no longer have the energy or friendliness that the old staff did.
-Prices have gone up quite a bit (about $2-3 more for what I'd usually pay for similar food)
-Food quality has gone down
-2 out of 4 meals had the wrong sides (but they happily gave the correct ones)
-3 out of 4 meals had hair on top but we didn't want to fuss. When I finally got to the bottom of my plate I found about 4 more large thick hairs UNDER my food I had to say something. (my food was free, I'm sure if we had complained about the others they would have too)

Does this place have a new owner or did the old one forget about the quality that made the place popular and decide to ride on reputation alone?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#33 legendary

legendary
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:30 AM

I think is a husband/wife combo and they switch off running the place

#34 loopyca

loopyca

NomNom

• 15 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:51 PM

wait wait wait... 75% of your meals had HAIR?! *shudder*

#35 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:17 PM

I've been to Shine almost every Saturday since September for breakfast. I was there this morning as well and other than once or twice some time ago my meals have always been great. I've also found the staff to be a great bunch. Always smiles and very patient.

#36 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:03 PM

Shine's great but nothing will beat the Blue Fox in my opinion.

(The fact that they chose that name only improves them in my eyes. ;) )

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:52 AM

One of the issues that many people have with the Bluefox is the location. While you wait for your table, the parking tab is ticking.

Does Blue Fox allow those who are waiting to pre-order a coffee or beverage? That's one of the nice perks about Shine, is the waiting area outside is decent and you can pass the time with a coffee in hand.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

I've had many long waits at the Blue Fox and have never been offered a coffee or seen anyone else order one. It's a really cramped space to wait in - I agree I'd rather go to Shine or John's Place if there's going to be a wait for a table....and there almost always is - breakfast seems popular in Victoria.

#39 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:11 AM

Shine's great but nothing will beat the Blue Fox in my opinion.

(The fact that they chose that name only improves them in my eyes. ;) )

I understand why you like it, Blue, but does anyone know how it got it's name? It seems to me that there is a blue fox in a Kandinsky painting. Is there a relationship?
Pieta VanDyke

#40 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:25 AM

One of the issues that many people have with the Bluefox is the location. While you wait for your table, the parking tab is ticking.

Does Blue Fox allow those who are waiting to pre-order a coffee or beverage? That's one of the nice perks about Shine, is the waiting area outside is decent and you can pass the time with a coffee in hand.

Also a bonus of Floyd's the owner is often working the line handing out coffee. One of the best parts of the experience.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users