Photo

Shine Cafe | Victoria | 1548 Fort St. & Blanshard @ Johnson

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

I've been to Shine almost every Saturday since September for breakfast. I was there this morning as well and other than once or twice some time ago my meals have always been great. I've also found the staff to be a great bunch. Always smiles and very patient.

We just went again today (Thu) at 1 PM, and the staff were great, our omelettes excellent, and they'd improved the fruit juice from our last visit. So I'd have to say the critics caught them during a rough patch.

#42 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

We just went again today (Thu) at 1 PM, and the staff were great, our omelettes excellent, and they'd improved the fruit juice from our last visit. So I'd have to say the critics caught them during a rough patch.

I've been recently and can attest to Shine being back on form. Great coffee, friendly staff and, most importantly, the food is very, very tasty. Best poached eggs in town. I always as for them soft in my Bennies and Shine never fails.

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

According to Kapten Kapsell (as posted in another thread) Shine will be leasing the space formerly occupied by Demitasse at the corner of Pandora and Blanshard.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

Will this be in ADDITION to their Stadacona Centre location or in PLACE OF their current location? Either way I'm there. ;)

#45 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

Based on a closer look at the sign on the former Demitasse location today, I would say this will be a SECOND location for Shine and not a relocation. Planned opening is September 2011. They must be doing considerable renovations.

#46 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

Gutted, completely. They are moving the kitchen to where the bathrooms used to be (at the back), which makes a lot more sense. I think we can expect the room to be wide open, instead of split in two.

That room needed more than just a coat of paint.

Matt.

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:40 AM

The demise of that Demitasse location was quick. Once the place sold the food offerings greatly declined in quality and the competition from Tim Horton's was enough to completely kill that operation.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#48 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:52 PM

The previous owners, Nathan and Jaymes, didn't have much to fear from Timmy's, because they offered superior food and drink, but the new owners had little or no restaurant experience and brought in perhaps too many "consultants".

Prior to selling, the boys had purchased the old Rising Star space and ran both for a while, now you can get some of the best breakfast and lunch in town at the Broad St. Kitchen Co, and they are doing lots of wholesale business, including the best damned burger buns in town. I buy 'em, as does Pig, Fifth Street, etc.

As the North Douglas area continues to develop, I think the location is pretty prime for future growth, and I suspect Shine will do v. well over time.

Matt.

#49 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:49 AM

Demitasse hasn't been good since the original owners sold about 5 or 6 years ago.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#50 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

Demitasse hasn't been good since the original owners sold about 5 or 6 years ago.

That's totally not true.

When James was running the show the place was great. The coffee was good, the baking was better and the breakfast was delicious. You could have a huge delicious breakfast and coffee for $10.

#51 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

^ I agree - its only been the last year or so that it went precipitously downhill.

#52 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:41 PM

^ I agree - its only been the last year or so that it went precipitously downhill.

It was sold and the new owners changed everything. They fired the staff and overhauled their successful menu. They did a tremendous job at pissing off the restuarant's loyal following, including myself.

#53 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

I hope Shine returns to its former glory. The quality has gone down hill over the past year.

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:18 AM

Has Shine opened in its new location?

Know it all.

#55 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

Has Shine opened in its new location?

Yes it has. I was there yesterday. It was busy and the service was a bit hit & miss, but the quality of the food was very good. I will more than likely return once the novelty of the new location has worn off.

#56 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:00 AM

They have different cooks at Wild Saffron.

I don't know if you know the establishment very well, but it's no cafe, eatery or take-out and cooks don't work there, they are chefs..lol!;)
Went there the other night and Albert the manager was wonderful as always. The food and service was good, too.

#57 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:12 PM

Finally go to Shine on Fort last Saturday for breakfast with Mrs. Deeds. It was our first time and we had a great brunch with good service. I would like to see more outside tables during the summer months but other than that no complaints?

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:01 AM

Strangely, this is now branded as "The Zone's Shine Cafe", and it has permanent The Zone 91.3 FM logos all over it. I am meeting with a sales rep from The Zone this morning, I'll ask him what's up.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:38 AM

Please do. I was wondering about the rather large Zone insignia on the windowpanes. Cheeky way to get around the City's advertising/signage bylaws?

Know it all.

#60 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:50 AM

It's part of a reciprocal advertising agreement that the Zone proposed to Shine Cafe for the first month of operation. It includes the Zone broadcasting their morning show live from Shine Cafe for the first month of business as well as some Zone advertising at the restaurant.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users