Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:08 AM

Hillside Centre expansion proceeds slowly
Manager hints large fashion retailer will anchor addition

BY DARRON KLOSTER
Times Colonist business editor

Hillside Centre has started discussing traffic issues with Victoria, but is still months away from a specific timeline on when it will start a proposed 100,000-square-foot addition that will make it the region’s largest shopping mall.

Hillside manager Rene Dickman said yesterday the centre has prospective tenants, and hinted the large anchor for the addition will likely be a fashion retailer. She refused to name specific clients and did not comment on sources that say Old Navy and trendy Swedish clothier H&M are interested in the space. H&M, which sells runway-inspired apparel at affordable prices and is endorsed by stars such as Madonna, is opening its first B.C. store in Coquitlam this fall and has plans for 10 more.

[...]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:13 PM

So London Drugs is out? Weren't they mentioned by name in an earlier article or did I dream that?

As mall-centric as Victoria is, those Nanaimo numbers show us that things could be much worse in this regard.

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:41 PM

That was a seperate proposal that was going to go where all the fifties houses were but it was nixed.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:34 PM

I heard the neighbourhood is against the parkade and wants the parking underground, they also want a revised traffic plan with better entrances on Hillside. I can't say I'd disagree with them, a parkade on the corner of Shelbourne is a vibrancy killer.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:50 AM

What if they did the Parkade kind of like the Broughton Street Parkade. Three levels of parking above first floor shops.

Could be a good way to bring a street wall to Shellbourne and North Dairy.

Just a thought...

It has a whole new look!

#6 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:48 AM

What if they did the Parkade kind of like the Broughton Street Parkade. Three levels of parking above first floor shops.

Could be a good way to bring a street wall to Shellbourne and North Dairy.

Just a thought...

A real good thought...

Hope that the powers that decide get that kind of advice..

PS.. When I saw the overlay of Hilside Mall over downtown, I was quite impressed with the comparative area..

One thing though and it would probably be a shocker is to include all of the retail and commercial (roads included) along Hillside, Shelbourne, North Dairy) adjacent to the Mall to show how much more land is taken up for "auto-centric" activities...

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:20 AM

Haven't we been trying to revert back from the mistakes of the 1960's where parkades took precedence over pedestrian environs?

In one sense the mall is trying to entice more pedestrian use and in another its destroying the opportunity to build street-side retail or a street-side entrance to the mall. Hillside's retailers should be begging for the sort of exposure the Bay Centre's merchants have on Douglas with store windows leading right up to the sidewalk.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:24 AM

You would think that the planning department would try to push them in that direction. There is a real oportunity here to create a great streetscape and it won't cost them anymore money to do it right then to do it wrong.

It has a whole new look!

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:30 AM

No doubt. But I think our planning department is too busy retyping the 1990 downtown plan and pushing for mid-mid-block walkways for Victoria's bi-centennial.

Know it all.

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:59 AM

There's a rendering on their website:

http://www.hillsidecentre.com/renovations

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:06 AM

There's a rendering on their website:

http://www.hillsidecentre.com/renovations

Some long-winded article in today's TC too.. I lost interest 2 paragraphs in.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:15 AM

Would it kill them to extend the buildings anywhere near the sidewalk?

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:15 AM

No one is going to use that parkade, BTW.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:20 AM

What the hell?! They had said they were planning on expanding to the sidewalk. This is the worst solution they could have come up with. I will speak out against this at the public hearing.

It has a whole new look!

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:32 AM

Maybe their plan is to have residential fronting the street along Hillside and Shelbourne with ground floor retail? If that's not the case, I fail the see the benefit of this project.

The parkade idea is particularly out of date with current planning principles. Perhaps their theory is "we mustn't let the west comm big box stores dip into our local economy any longer!" Council would fall head over heels for something like that.

Know it all.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:54 AM

I'm cool with a parkade, you need X amount of parking for every sq. ft. of shopping, but it should abut two floors of the mall, so peeps can enter from the level they parked at.

Having said that, I suppose they will require all their staff to park in the parkade, I'm thinking.

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:10 AM

Why can't they put the parkade under the proposed expansion?

#18 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:10 AM

Be interesting to see how much onsite parking the City requires and how much the developer is providing..

Wonder if it's based on the developer's peak needs as opposed to the City's average requirements..

But then again...

#19 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:34 AM

I like the fact it has a 2nd storey but the parking should be under ground.

It looks like they have re-aligned the entrances on Hillside. They may have Oaklands onside on this because of that. I remember when this came up last time they wanted an entrance aligned with Shakespeare with lights to relieve traffic on Doncaster.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:51 AM

How about removing that wall along Hillside? It makes the place look too suburban.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users