[Oaklands] Hillside Mall expansion | Built - completed in 2014

Commercial

• Please log in to reply
708 replies to this topic

#21 Saanich Panhandler

Saanich Panhandler
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:34 AM

That tc image is wrong, I have uploaded the correct one for you.

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

Looks the same to me. Too much ugly crappy parking.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for that.

Would you happen to know if there is a planned residential component?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Saanich Panhandler

Saanich Panhandler
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:39 AM

^I don't think so as it's owned by a pension corp.

Here's a link for the PDF on the CCA website:
http://www.camosuncommunityassociation.com/documents/HillsideMallExpansionSitePlan.pdf

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:39 AM

Well, that's better, at least WRT the parkade location.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 Saanich Panhandler

Saanich Panhandler
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:44 AM

Looks the same to me. Too much ugly crappy parking.

Ya, if you look at the site plan you'll notice they could have had the two stories of the mall over the same footprint with the parkade as single story with above or underground parking. At least part of the parkade is set back unlike what was first thought.

#27 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:55 AM

Please look carefully at the site plan that Saanich Panhandler posted..

What other uses are going into the parkade at street level facing North Dairy and Shelbourne?

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:57 AM

^ I can"t read what is says over STREET in Shelbourne Street.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:00 PM

Looks like the entrance to the second floor of the parkade is off North Dairy? I don't remember the lot being that sloped... What am I missing?

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:07 PM

Looks like the entrance to the second floor of the parkade is off North Dairy? I don't remember the lot being that sloped... What am I missing?

'tis fairly sloped off N. Dairy.

#31 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:15 PM

Please look carefully at the site plan that Saanich Panhandler posted..

What other uses are going into the parkade at street level facing North Dairy and Shelbourne?

I'm pretty sure that says "unexcavated". So I guess that is either existing parking or a landscaped area? Or perhaps they plan for a detached retail area in the future? Hmm...

EDIT: Actually looking closer at that blank area next to North Dairy, it could possibly be a low clearance area with the slope but the area along Shelbourne looks usable.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:23 PM

One would hope that they would build a parking lot along the lines of Broughton Street Parkade.

But no matter what until they get rid of the parking lot along Shellbourne and start creating a street wall this project is terrible.

It has a whole new look!

#33 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:33 PM

^Ya, I agree. They need to at least do something along Shelbourne St.

#34 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:34 PM

Where's a topo map when one needs it..?

The upper level looks as if it is accessible from North Dairy but also from the 2nd level of Sears?? which would be 16 feet above the ground floor of Sears??? Hummmm ???

#35 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:38 PM

OK if it says unexcavated then the lower level is small, dug out and roofed and the upper level accessible from both North Dairy and from the Upper level of Sears is "visually" surface parking..

Very small parkade..

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:32 PM

Where's a topo map when one needs it..?

You don't keep one in your back pocket? I bet Randall does.

#37 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:08 PM

Fear not, there are plans for high density multi use buildings across both Hillside and Shelbourne, including the corner of N Dairy and Shelbourne. D'Ambrosio (nice fellow) revealed the long term plan tonight at the open house. Also, the mall is going for the green approach, they are closing the 3rd lane fronting the mall and are putting in bike lanes and a large number of bike stalls, extra crosswalks, fancy drainage for the parking lot, adding 180 trees and the parkade (which is level w/ N Dairy) will have green walls on the mall side.

#38 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:26 AM

Oh I am glad someone went. So were the drawings accurate? Is there still going to be parking in front of the mall off Shelbourne or are you saying that there are plans in the distant future to fill them in with high density buildings?

It has a whole new look!

#39 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:58 AM

The drawings reflect the current plan, no changes there. BTW, the new shops face outward to the parking lot to create a "village" atmosphere ala T&C mall but with a better design. I also forgot to mention they let it slip that they are in talks with the Library board for a new library on the 2nd floor.

The long term plan (which would require re-zoning) is for 4 mixed use zero setback residential buildings w/ underground parking that would flank the gas station on either side on the current surface parking. Then the final phase would be a redevelopment of Thriftys, Zellers and old part of the mall and more mixed use on the rest of the parking lot (including N Dairy and Shelbourne). The long term plans are 5 to 10 and 10 to 20 years away and could change of course but I think D'Ambrosio did a nice job with it.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:07 AM

Excellent. With the residential concept in place and a more urban approach to the mall addition I think we might have a winner.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users