[Oaklands] Hillside Mall expansion | Built - completed in 2014

Commercial

• Please log in to reply
708 replies to this topic

#501 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:53 PM

Perhaps the microbrew scene has hit a younger market? (25 - 35 yr oldwhite collar professionals)

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#502 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

As much as a few might not like it, that is what sells in liquor stores.

Well, it's not the only thing that sells otherwise private stores wouldn't stock boutique items.

#503 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:39 AM

Apparently micro-brews accounted for about 6% of the sales nationally last year, but it is growing exponentially every year.

I would wager that that number is way higher in places like Victoria and Vancouver. You go to the prairies and Sleemans or Alexander Keith's are your 'premium beers'.

Edited by Mr Cook Street, 22 October 2014 - 07:40 AM.

#504 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:25 AM

Apparently micro-brews accounted for about 6% of the sales nationally last year, but it is growing exponentially every year....

Really? Exponentially*? Does this mean that if sales are 6% this year they will account for 36% next year and 1296% the year after that?

* The mathematical origin of this word has to do with multiplying a number by itself

• AllseeingEye likes this

#505 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:40 AM

Really? Exponentially*? Does this mean that if sales are 6% this year they will account for 36% next year and 1296% the year after that?

* The mathematical origin of this word has to do with multiplying a number by itself

I may be way off base here since frankly I rarely drink other than perhaps @ Christmas or the very occasional Boys Road trip, however as I recall were beer sales in Canada, if not North America generally, not actually declining over the past ~ 20 years due to the rising popularity of wine?

#506 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

I may be way off base here since frankly I rarely drink other than perhaps @ Christmas or the very occasional Boys Road trip, however as I recall were beer sales in Canada, if not North America generally, not actually declining over the past ~ 20 years due to the rising popularity of wine?

Yup.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...shows-1.2605605

Canadians are drinking a lot more wine, a little bit more liquor and less beer, Statistics Canada data released Thursday shows.

Beer and liquor stores across Canada sold $21.4 billion worth of booze in the fiscal year that ended March 31, the data agency said. 

That was 2.2 per cent higher than the figure for the previous year, but the increases were not evenly distributed. About $9.1 billion worth of beer was sold across Canada last year, down 0.1 per cent from the level seen in the previous 12 months.

By volume, domestic beers fared a little better, with two billion litres sold (a decline of 1.7 per cent) while imports slipped by 3.8 per cent to 300 million litres.

That means about 78 litres of beer were consumed last year per person, down from 83.6 litres in 2003.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#507 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

I surrender. Let's say 'rapidly' instead of 'exponentially'.

• Nparker likes this

#508 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:17 PM

...Of the seven aforementioned bodies four were, for lack of a better term. "beer drinkers" (I'm a vodka guy)...

...and here I thought I was the only one :)

I like my beer sh*tty, vodka neat.

• AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#509 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

so - not sure why this is - but the new Liquor Store at Hillside Centre isn't open on Sundays... W T F? I, for one, am crushed. CRUSHED.

#510 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:52 PM

so - not sure why this is - but the new Liquor Store at Hillside Centre isn't open on Sundays... W T F? I, for one, am crushed. CRUSHED.

That's just odd.  I'm pretty sure the mall owners would not sign a lease with any other type of store that won't open Sunday's.  Oh well, that's their prerogative.   Also, that store will not be open Christmas Eve, or New Year's Eve.  Which is also odd.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#511 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

Plenty of others are open, it's not the end of the world :) 

• Bingo likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#512 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:23 PM

Right, Why can't people plan ahead and buy their booze in advance?

#513 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:45 PM

It certainly isn't.  But it's just strange business practice.  That you'd never see it in the real world.  I'm sure that it's no great feather in the hat of Hillside Mall to be the only mall in the region that boasts one of their anchor tenants is not open 14% of the retail week.  It's open until 11pm on a Tuesday night, but closed all day Sunday.  Wacky.

• Nparker likes this

#514 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:00 PM

Was the government liquor store that used to be in the Bay/Eaton Centre open Sundays and holidays? I can't remember.

#515 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:31 PM

Was the government liquor store that used to be in the Bay/Eaton Centre open Sundays and holidays? I can't remember.

I totally forgot about that store!

#516 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:42 PM

Most nights the centre is closed by 6:00pm.

#517 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

Yes it was.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#518 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:11 PM

I've moved all the posts on the BC Government's liquor policy to this thread: http://vibrantvictor...sion/?hl=liquor

Please continue there :)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#519 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:01 PM

The old Target location awaits,  and is slated to be filled with Canadian Tire.

IMG_8682_1.jpg

IMG_8676.jpg

IMG_8675.jpg

#520 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

Kind of nice they can use the same red. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users