Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] The Malahat

• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#921 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:56 AM

Nobody is going to come from Sooke or the Westshore to take a ferry from Brentwood to Mill Bay...no one.

#922 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

They can still take the Malahat. But currently folks living on the peninsula need to scoot around the Westshore to literally end up across the inlet, just a three kilometre hop at its closest point in N Saanich.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#923 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:07 AM

Furstenau also says they need "a better rail option".  Someone needs to remind her that will be the absolute slowest, most expensive, and most inconvenient way to travel.  That's not a solution that will attract users.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 28 July 2017 - 11:07 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#924 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:15 PM

Furstenau also says they need "a better rail option".

Someone needs to remind her that will be the absolute slowest, most expensive, and most inconvenient way to travel.  

That's not a solution that will attract users.

One must remember that while all the bright minds are busy thinking about bridges and new roads for bypassing island cities and the plethora of other bottlenecks, we already have an established rail right of way that goes through all of the major communities on the island.  Now that could be the solution that will attract users.

#925 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

So they aren't doing construction on fridays anymore and low and behold traffic looks fine on all the cameras and google traffic so far. It's almost like the backup is caused by the construction or something.

#926 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:28 PM

One must remember that while all the bright minds are busy thinking about bridges and new roads for bypassing island cities and the plethora of other bottlenecks, we already have an established rail right of way that goes through all of the major communities on the island.  Now that could be the solution that will attract users.

I think you will find right away that a passenger train will never be allowed to cross the trestles at Goldstream, right off the bat.  So there are a couple new bridge projects for you to think about.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 28 July 2017 - 01:28 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#927 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:16 AM

thats a given it was in a report tht there is slight sagging in on of them but not a huge issue requiring a complete rebuild.

#928 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

Massive delays today. The bottleneck extends between Ice Cream Mountain and the Shawnigan turnoff.
  • malahatdrive likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#929 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:12 AM

In today's TC there are a few photos in a front page story taken from the highway cam showing no congestion on Highway 1 at the South Shawnigan Lake turnoff.

This is not where the problem has been, but further south.

By the time vehicles get to the Shawnigan Lake turnoff they are already back up to speed.

Here is the cam they used for the story.

273.jpg

#930 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:25 AM

Ministry to reopen 2nd northbound passing lane this weekend and every weekend in August

https://news.gov.bc....TRAN0208-001373

The ministry will be reopening a second lane to traffic on the Malahat to accommodate summer traffic and the significantly higher volumes that are expected due to long weekend travellers and concert goers attending the Sunfest Country Music Festival in the Cowichan Valley. 

On the Malahat, the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure will be reopening the second northbound lane on Thursday, Aug. 3 through to end of day Tuesday, Aug. 8, and Fridays through Sundays for the rest of August. 

Motorists are advised to pay close attention to the cones that will be marking the new temporary lanes, watch for changing traffic patterns, and are reminded that the construction speed zone of 60 kilometres per hour is in effect 24/7. 

In addition, there will be no traffic stoppages for construction of the Malahat safety improvement project from noon Thursday, Aug. 3 through Tuesday, Aug. 8.

The increase in traffic volume is still anticipated to create delays along Highway 1 between Victoria and Duncan, so the ministry encourages all travellers to plan their trip well in advance, allow for plenty of extra time and drive safely.

Edited by malahatdrive, 02 August 2017 - 10:25 AM.

#931 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

In tbat image it appears the truck is cutting the corner on the turn but I also think the yellow line needs to line up with the yellow line on the road he is turning in to

#932 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:04 PM

A three vehicle MVI is causing issues on the Malahat. The crash occurred just south of Bamberton.

Know it all.

#933 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:50 PM

The Malahat is closed in both directions at Finlayson Arm Road following a head-on MVI.

All occupants have exited the two vehicles.

Know it all.

#934 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

I'm going to have to listen to Chris Foord again rant about speed cameras on CFAX all week. 

Caller into CFAX stating a VW Jetta hit a '62 Corvette.  Not a head-on crash.  Sounds like a shallow angle T-bone crash with the VW crossing the center line and hitting the Corvette.

Caller incorrectly stating that the Corvette was from a time where cars were designed to protect the occupants. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#935 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:55 PM

Interesting. Responders are referring to it as a head-on.

Know it all.

#936 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

I'm going to have to listen to Chris Foord again rant about speed cameras on CFAX all week. 

And Chris is now in-studio with Pamela McCall.  Just like that!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#937 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

Interesting. Responders are referring to it as a head-on.

screenshot-twitter.com-2017-09-04-15-01-40.png

#938 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:40 PM

I hope that Corvette isn't a write off.... :whyme:

#939 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:49 PM

The Malahat is closed in both directions at Finlayson Arm Road following a head-on MVI.

All occupants have exited the two vehicles.

Must've been car bits all over the place; I was cruising southbound back from Campbell River and encountered the backlogged traffic as a result around 4pm starting about 1km before the summit. Traffic was moving continuously albeit very slowly for about 45 minutes before I was able to resume normal highway speed just north of Goldstream Park. Good to know no one was seriously hurt or killed.

• Mike K. likes this

#940 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:57 AM

We drive the Malahat quite often & one thing we comment on every trip is how many drivers hug the centre line or are over it, especially in the areas where it goes from one lane to two.  Frustrated and out of control.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users