PROPOSED
NEXT Gallery
Uses: commercial, civic
Address: 1040 Moss Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
NEXT Gallery is a proposal to expand the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria's 1040 Moss Street facility in City o... (view full profile)
Learn more about NEXT Gallery on Citified.ca
Photo

Art Gallery of Greater Victoria

• Please log in to reply
389 replies to this topic

#281 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:15 PM

Here's the press release:

Audain Foundation Pledges $2 Million to Art Gallery of Greater Victoria – Next Gallery
British Columbia philanthropist Michael Audain, through the Audain Foundation, has pledged
$2 million to support the expansion plans of the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria. Audain is Chairman
of Polygon Homes Ltd., one of British Columbia’s leading home builders.

The donation was announced today by AGGV Board Chair, Ruth Wittenberg. “We are extremely
grateful to the Foundation and Mr. Audain for their support. This inspiring gift will help ensure that
British Columbia’s capital city will have the astonishing new home for art that it deserves.”

The gift is contingent upon the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria Next Gallery receiving the necessary
funding from the Province of British Columbia during the 2017 calendar year. The AGGV is
currently in talks with both the federal and provincial governments.

Commenting on the donation, Audain noted that “For many years, I considered Victoria my home
town as it is where my family has deep roots. While it was an idyllic place growing up, it sadly
lacked a public art gallery. I believe it is essential that the capital of our great province, which has
so many distinguished artists, should have a significant public art gallery.”

Appointed to the Order of Canada and the Order of British Columbia and the recipient of four
honorary degrees, Audain has been a consistent supporter of the arts community, notably serving
as Chair of the Vancouver Art Gallery and the National Gallery of Canada. He presently serves as
Chair of the Audain Art Museum, the Grizzly Bear Foundation, and of course the Audain
Foundation, which has donated in excess of $100 million to support the visual arts.

Audain and his wife, Yoshiko Karasawa, have also built one of Canada's most outstanding art
collections. In March of 2016, the couple opened the Audain Art Museum in Whistler to share their
collection and create a space for special exhibitions.

The Gallery’s commitment to a well-planned renovation of its existing facility was announced in
2012. A request for proposals was issued at the time, seeking architects who could renovate and
prepare a design that complements the building’s location in the heart of the Rockland
neighborhood. In December of 2015, following extensive community consultation, the AGGV
received approval for re-zoning from the City of Victoria and unveiled plans for the Next Gallery.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#282 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:51 PM

such a shame it is staying at its current location. kind of makes how it looks irrelevant. if it were moving downtown it would be a different story

#283 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

I don't have any problem with it being where it is. The trio of the art gallery, the castle, and Government House is a big part of what makes Rockland a great neighbourhood. Rockland isn't just a pleasant stroll. There's also some "there" there.

I'm a sucker for having notable buildings distributed around the neighbourhoods. I've mentioned before how Victoria was following this more mature/European model almost from the start with landmarks like the Willows exhibition hall, the orphanage near Cook & Hillside, the North Ward school, and the Young Building. Then came a decades-long hiatus, which I'd suggest was finally broken only very recently with the new Oak Bay Beach Hotel.

Just put yourself in the position of a tourist (a real tourist, who enjoys exploring). You want these surprises and points of interest. That's what investigating a city is all about.

• Rob Randall, http, Bingo and 1 other like this

#284 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:17 PM

But aastra, tourists are merely cows to be milked. Corral them down around the inner harbour and squeeze them dry in 24 hours or less. Don't reward them. Don't inspire them to go further afield, to make repeat visits, or (shudder) to stay longer.

#285 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:22 PM

But aastra, tourists are merely cows to be milked. Corral them down around the inner harbour and squeeze them dry in 24 hours or less. Don't reward them. Don't inspire them to go further afield, to make repeat visits, or (shudder) to stay longer.

Sorry you had to recant your previous post. Cows haven't lived in the city since prohibition... a seniors moment perhaps?

• aastra likes this

#286 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:25 PM

Methinks this is how the good people of Cordova Bay should be thinking re: the strip mall redevelopment. YIMBY, not NIMBY.

#287 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:32 PM

Sorry you had to recant your previous post.

That's actually a convenient new feature that Mike K. has added. Whenever you submit a new post the system presents you with a selection of automatically-generated inane rebuttals. Just choose one and it will immediately follow your original post, thus saving other forumers the trouble.

• Bingo and RFS like this

#288 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:05 AM

It's based off of the media's news generating algorithms.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#289 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:55 AM

It's based off of the media's news generating algorithms.

Giving a formal definition of algorithms, corresponding to the intuitive notion, remains a challenging problem, and is likely related to the glut of cabbage.

#290 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:58 AM

Methinks this is how the good people of Cordova Bay should be thinking re: the strip mall redevelopment. YIMBY, not NIMBY.

I am all in favor of upgrades to the Art Gallery, just as long as they do not move it to Cordova Bay.

#291 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:00 AM

Is the AGGV sure they want to accept money from a man that served time in a US penitentiary?

Just kidding, of course. Audain was arrested for being a Freedom Rider in the Deep South in 1961. An awesome guy, fantastic donation.

On June 7, he boarded a bus in Memphis and got off at the Jackson rest stop when the bus pulled in for a meal break. "It was about dinner time and I went into the so-called coloured part of the bus station and ordered some dinner." Fried chicken, he remembers. "I was asked to leave, and I said, 'Okay, I will leave, but I'm first going to have my dinner and then I'll get back on the bus.' And they said, 'No, you've got to leave right away, or you're under arrest.' "

Audain pleaded not guilty but was found guilty, spent a few days in the city jail, and about three weeks at Parchman, where he shared a cell with a beaten and ultimately force-fed hunger-striker. In isolation, wearing the black-and-white striped prison uniform, he was allowed out twice a week for five minutes for a shower.

http://www.theglobea.../article579302/
  • Nparker likes this

#292 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:22 PM

Art gallery renames Emily Carr’s ‘hurtful’ Indian Church, but critics say it’s the wrong approach

The Art Gallery of Ontario is working to remove ‘hurtful and painful’ terminology from titles, but is accused of doing far more cultural damage than a name

MORE:

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#293 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,669 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:27 PM

Where does re-writing history end?

#294 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:17 PM

Where does re-writing history end?

When we get rid of the SJW.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#295 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:19 PM

But it doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon.....

https://www.youtube....3&v=iKcWu0tsiZM

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#296 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 01:41 PM

B.C. spending millions to upgrade Art Gallery of Greater Victoria

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...tions-1.4710116

https://aggv.ca/the-...e-next-gallery/

Attached Images

• art gallery.jpg

#297 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:18 PM

The Art Gallery is still in the wrong location.

I think the Vic High building might have made a good Art Gallery.

Then you build a new school on the SJ Willis land, across from the sports fields at Topaz Park

Edited by Bingo, 17 June 2018 - 02:30 PM.

#298 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,669 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:49 PM

The Art Gallery is still in the wrong location.

I think the Vic High building might have made a good Art Gallery...

Yes.

Not so much. The Vic High building, although aesthetically appealing for an Art Gallery, would still be too far off the beaten path to attract anything but die-hards. Ideally, the AGGV should be part of a revamped Centennial Square, IMHO.

#299 Freedom57

Freedom57
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:26 PM

Yes.

Not so much. The Vic High building, although aesthetically appealing for an Art Gallery, would still be too far off the beaten path to attract anything but die-hards. Ideally, the AGGV should be part of a revamped Centennial Square, IMHO.

How about down at Ogden Point?   That modern design is going to look ghastly in the Rockland location. 

#300 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:39 AM

Well that was a bit of a no-news news piece.

The province is allocating $6 million towards a $30 million project. So now what? The CBC has no additional details.

According to the AGGV’s website it needs to raise $21 million. But is that an old budget, or the existing budget? And presumably the $6 million brings the funding shortfal down to $15 million?
  • Nparker and spanky123 like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users