PROPOSED
NEXT Gallery
Uses: commercial, civic
Address: 1040 Moss Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
NEXT Gallery is a proposal to expand the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria's 1040 Moss Street facility in City o... (view full profile)
Learn more about NEXT Gallery on Citified.ca
Photo

Art Gallery of Greater Victoria

• Please log in to reply
389 replies to this topic

#41 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

I hope the plan will include removing the ugly modern staircase added to the Spencer house. What an eyesore.

#42 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

I'd like to see this addition in context of the existing "modern" portion of the gallery.

By the openness of the lobby shown in that rendering I'd say the 1970s brick portion of the gallery will be torn down. The new structure seen in the rendering is right where the existing building is. The view is from Moss St. - https://maps.google....,242.39,,0,-9.6

post-3-0-78878000-1395787078.jpg

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

If someone does not take Raid to that ant, it's not going anywhere.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

It is a crying shame that they are deciding to stay in that location and sink good money into
it so the chances of the gallery ever locating closer to the core will diminish to nothing.
The art gallery there does nothing for our town in my humble opinion and would far better serve the region if it was part of the core.
  • Mike K. likes this
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#45 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

Although I would prefer it in the central core, it would have been great to even have it in another 'urban village' area. In either case it would have more visibility, foot traffic, access to public transportation, etc.

I went by there late last year for an exhibit, which was excellent, but the fact that it exists often slips my mind. Heavy advertising and a rainy Saturday was the combination that convinced me to drop by.

#46 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

I'd prefer it was downtown as well, but sometimes I think we lose perspective because we have such a compact core area. I mean, the AGGV is like 2k from the Empress or 1.5k from the Bay Centre. It's not exactly out in the boonies.  :)

#47 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:40 PM

Now that we have a couple of new mixed-use developments on Fort east of Cook already built or on the way, peoples' perceptions may change--if the art gallery can't come to Downtown, bring Downtown to the art gallery!

• Greg and thundergun like this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#48 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

I have no idea what the stats are, but I bet an art gallery enjoys a far larger proportion of tourists through its doors compared to locals. If that is true, then we might ask where we want the tourists to go that would benefit the most locals. If the city were looking to foster a budding artistic community with cheap loft space and funky local retail then plopping the Art gallery in the middle of that would be a huge benefit to the local economy. AS it stands, any commercial hub able to take advantage of he art gallery are out of eye shot and probably not on a tourist's list of thing to do.

The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#49 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

The art gallery really isn't that far from downtown. Hell, from downtown I bet it's no more distant than the length of Central Park.

#50 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:54 AM

The art gallery really isn't that far from downtown. Hell, from downtown I bet it's no more distant than the length of Central Park.

The Art Gallery is uphill,  about 16 football fields from City Hall.

#51 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:17 AM

I think the issue is that it's not on a main road surrounded by other civic and commercial buildings. It's in a residential neighbourhood where it gets forgotten about

• jonny likes this

#52 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:06 AM

I think the issue is that it's not on a main road surrounded by other civic and commercial buildings. It's in a residential neighbourhood where it gets forgotten about

Yes. Up in Rockland is a terrible location.

A great place for a new Art Gallery would be right on the harbour of Wharf Street, or even at the old Capital 6 property.

#53 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:06 AM

I have no idea what the stats are, but I bet an art gallery enjoys a far larger proportion of tourists through its doors compared to locals. If that is true, then we might ask where we want the tourists to go that would benefit the most locals. If the city were looking to foster a budding artistic community with cheap loft space and funky local retail then plopping the Art gallery in the middle of that would be a huge benefit to the local economy. AS it stands, any commercial hub able to take advantage of he art gallery are out of eye shot and probably not on a tourist's list of thing to do.

Some years back there was an idea to relocate the art gallery to that big old building at the end of store street--the one with the smokestack. Maybe it would have been an economic and environmental disaster but it possibly could have been a massive boon to Rock Bay and all the things you mention would have come true. 

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#54 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

There is lots of stuff to do at either end of central park, with all the joys that is central park in the middle.

The fed building for sale across from tourist info building could be an option for the gallery. Hell there are lots of options. Imagine if our fore fathers had only envisaged a town that existed inside the fort walls.

The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

It is a crying shame that they are deciding to stay in that location and sink good money into
it so the chances of the gallery ever locating closer to the core will diminish to nothing.
The art gallery there does nothing for our town in my humble opinion and would far better serve the region if it was part of the core.

YES!

The AGGV should sell their entire Moss Street property and build a world-class facility downtown. Redeveloping the Moss Street location is such a shame and sells us so short :(

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#56 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

I have to say that various boards over the years at the Art Gallery tried really hard to figure out an appropriate downtown space. There were committees, site visits and careful thought put into how a move could come about. The money was never there, not government, not private donors. I think the plans for Moss Street represent a final resignation that downtown just ain't gonna happen for them. 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#57 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

For $21M they could build a space anywhere they wanted to in the CRD.

#58 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

And if you're driving, it's off a one way street heading out of town, anywhere else but downtown you can't get there easily.

#59 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

As others have mentioned it's not that the AGGV is located a great distance from downtown, but it is practically hidden from view. I bet 50% of the residents in the area wouldn't be able to tell you where it is. 

#60 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

The Art Gallery is uphill,  about 16 football fields from City Hall.

The length of Central Park is a smudge short of 40 football fields long.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users