PROPOSED
NEXT Gallery
Uses: commercial, civic
Address: 1040 Moss Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
NEXT Gallery is a proposal to expand the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria's 1040 Moss Street facility in City o... (view full profile)
Learn more about NEXT Gallery on Citified.ca
Photo

Art Gallery of Greater Victoria

• Please log in to reply
389 replies to this topic

#121 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

^ ^ Someone is gonna need to use a leaf-blower to clean that stickish awning thing.  Good thing it's not in Oak Bay.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#122 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

Khalil Akhtar of the CBC forwarded a note to us earlier today, saying that the AGGV's director was on air this morning and confirmed that funding for the new gallery is still millions of dollars short (and years away).

If we're talking tens of millions of dollars just to redevelop Moss Street why not sell the land and move downtown? What better opportunity to finally make the move and build a world-class facility in the heart of the city could there possibly be? Yes, the cost would be much higher to build downtown, but it would be well, well worth it and the increased revenues from higher volumes of visitors would make the move viable.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#123 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

^

Couldn't agree more Mike. But where's the money going to come from? It has never been there when the AGGV went looking, and as long as our provincial government has a hate on for Victoria, it ain't going to happen. Another drawback to the stupid sewage plan, is that Victoria is burning through federal and provincial funds that could be used for much better things.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

Could a gallery receive a mortgage? Perhaps a mixed-use commercial and gallery space would make a large project attractive to the banks. If they can amass even $10 million together with the sale of their Moss Street property and show that they can bring in several hundreds thousand annually through leasing prime commercial space the banks should bite.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#125 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

There are a couple owners in the Rock Bay area who would consider a build to suit project involving the Art Gallery. The art gallery wouldn't need to raise cash to sink into a property, just the wherewithal to pay the rent. If Albert could create a museum district in one of the most expensive parts of London way back when, then we can create a district north of Pandora housing all our dream projects and giving our guests something to do besides buy a T Shirt and eat some food. no disrespect intended to all the great business's downtown that look after our visitors.

• Nparker and lanforod like this
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#126 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

Now there's an idea!

Know it all.

#127 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

I love the Rock Bay idea.

Another possibility is working out a location with the city in some of the underused lands West of Wharf St (Ship Point and the various parking lots).

It may have already been discussed but another great location would be beside the Royal BC Museum on Belleville just in front of the new Q apartments creating a cultural/museum area.

Either way, I would send in a donation and get a membership to the AGGV if this project were to move into the city. This could be a great way to market and fundraise as well.

#128 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

There would be quite a few good choices for a location. The downtown lot across from the lawn bowling is a great idea, and Rock Bay could be as well. All better locations than Moss Street.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#129 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

The latest massive donation came with the understanding of it staying on Moss.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

Ah, so the plot thickens.

So it's not so much the expense of a new location but the potential loss of substantial funding should Moss Street be sold. Hmmm.

Know it all.

#131 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

The latest massive donation came with the understanding of it staying on Moss.

That's a simply horrible proviso with which to stick the AGGV. :mad:

#132 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

^ I like massive donations with huge strings. I know if I was a millionaire I would totally do that all the time. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#133 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

...why not sell the land and move downtown? ... Yes, the cost would be much higher to build downtown

OK, so I don't understand how your math works.

If it costs more to build downtown than you would have available after selling the Moss Street property how does this make sense?

BTW I still have not seen a reasonable objection to the current location and proposed redevelopment.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

Downtown commercially-zoned land costs more money than land in a residential area, but moving the gallery downtown would VASTLY increase it's revenues. The case can easily be made that by spending a little more to move downtown would yield far higher revenues which negates the concern over higher downtown costs.

Every business and cultural facility that is located downtown operates on this premise. Unfortunate when the AGGV's donations are tied to the Moss Street location then we'll continue to hear why moving downtown is far too costly, far too complicated, unnecessary, etc., etc., etc.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#135 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

BTW I still have not seen a reasonable objection to the current location and proposed redevelopment.

Well this is subjective, but I think the city and its residents would benefit more from a new art gallery if it were located in a more prominent downtown location. Further, I would have to believe art gallery attendance and in turn revenues would be higher in a more visible location.

How many tourists go to RBCM because it's right on the harbour? My guess is lots.

#136 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

The IMAX itself sees nearly half a million visitors annually. The AGGV sees 100,000 per year. That's brutal.

Know it all.

#137 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

Well this is subjective, but I think the city and its residents would benefit more from a new art gallery if it were located in a more prominent downtown location. Further, I would have to believe art gallery attendance and in turn revenues would be higher in a more visible location.

How many tourists go to RBCM because it's right on the harbour? My guess is lots.

To add, more revenues means more money to invest back into the gallery in terms of floor space and/or more art pieces. More art means prestige, which means maybe the gallery becomes a destination itself resulting in more tourists, visitors and more money spent in Victoria which is good for the rest of us.

#138 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

The IMAX itself sees nearly half a million visitors annually. The AGGV sees 100,000 per year. That's brutal.

Yes, that's terrible.

I lived in Victoria for maybe five or six years before I even knew there was an art gallery, and I consider myself to be reasonably in tune with what's going on around town.

#139 Dr.Doinglittle

Dr.Doinglittle
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

I live a stone's throw from the AGGV and have always though the current location is a real missed opportunity for the city. I'm amazed the place can afford to operate. It's always dead, parking lot empty, can't even tell when its open. No advertising visible from Fort St.

It seems the only time there's any activity is for the Moss St paint in.

• Mike K., Nparker and jonny like this

#140 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

...moving the gallery downtown would VASTLY increase it's revenues...

If that is true then I could hardly object. However, I suspect that the adjective "vastly" is something of an overstatement.

I wonder if enough of an increase would actually cover the costs as you suggest and I further wonder if that much of an increase is realistic?

Are there really that many tourists champing at the bit to see an Art Gallery beyond the ones who make the long and arduous 5 minute cab or bus-ride to the current location?

How is the Bateman gallery doing for example. It is located in a prime tourist location and caters to popular taste in art. Anyone have  any knowledge of what sort of numbers they have been doing?

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)