Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Union | Condos | 5- and 5-storeys | Built - Completed in 2014

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
493 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:28 AM

What was the density and how many units were approved for the original proposal?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:49 PM

Would it be too pie in the sky to suggest an open concept, glassy science/ children's museum for the first two floors? Either one double height story or two stories of museum, and then residential above. There is a body pushing the idea of a children's museum in Victoria and I think if Anthem fronts a portion of the 15 million estimated by this group, and the government provides some (the rest coming from private donation) I think it would be realistic.
Imagine the boost this would give the development, not to mention the opportunity for bonus density.

#43 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

I like your idea gumgum. Either the childrens' museum or some other public component, but not a new home for the AGGV. That has to be part of a revamped Centennial Square. What other things might be envisaged for this space to augment the residential component, aside from retail/commerical uses of course?

#44 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:21 PM

With streetlink moving I think that this would be an excellent spot for the AGGV to go. Chinatown is already a draw for tourists why not double it.

Perhaps a density transfer to another site in town from here so that it would make it worthwhile for the developer.

In Centennial Square we will have a brand new library so there would not be room for the art gallery.

#45 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:11 PM

In Centennial Square we will have a brand new library so there would not be room for the art gallery.

I like your sense of optimism G-Man. In a perfect world I am certain a revamped Centennial Square could accomodate BOTH a new central library and an art gallery (I am thinking something in the neighbourhood of 6 - 8 stories in height), turning CS into a true destination for both locals and tourists. I fear in the real world we will still see an aging parking garage and a space that no one uses here for some time to come.

Still if nothing is ever going to happen in Centennial Square, then maybe a real AGGV space in Chinatown is better than nothing at all.

#46 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:30 AM

I'd like to see a building that looks like two or three buildings instead of just one big one. Or maybe it could actually be two or three buildings, instead of just one big one (I'm sure I'm dreaming when I suggest that, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway).

Bambu seemed a bit too hulking for Chinatown, in my opinion.

If a pedestrian alley is going to be included, it would be really neat if some residential units looked directly down upon it. Juliet balconies would be great.

#47 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:59 PM

#48 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:10 PM

Very pretty. Chinatown Park.

#49 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:32 PM

nice that someone put those flowers in

#50 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:47 PM

ninjas did it.

#51 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:51 PM

Dragon Chasers planted the poppies. Either that or the Taliban.

#52 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:54 PM

Ninja dragon chasing taliban

Poppies are very appropriate for that place, both historically and in the modern day.

#53 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:48 PM

This image was captured approx 24 hours before the building burned to the ground.

#54 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:11 PM

I have one from around the same time, KK, If you get the angle a bit higher you can see someone was cooking on that stove in the top right corner - the pots still on the stove.

#55 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:47 AM

I have one from around the same time, KK, If you get the angle a bit higher you can see someone was cooking on that stove in the top right corner - the pots still on the stove.

True enough. An associate and I ventured inside the building and wandered around inside for about an hour, taking pictures, turning over debris, reading old headlines in discarded newspapers. It was in this building that we discovered a plastic biohazard receptacle for spent hypodermics. It was about 2/3 full, and it gave both myself and my associate the jeebies.

We found a near-complete bedroom. I've written about it somewhere in this forum...the double bed, nightstands and reading lamp...an actual viable bedroom for squatters.

In another room, I found a young man sitting quietly on the floor, overlooking the vacant lot that separated the building from Swans hotel. He told me an interesting story about the underground tunnel system that I'd been researching. In fact, I had heard that the building had a system of hidden doors that led into the system. Alas...we found no such thing.

What struck me most about the building was its diorama effect: an entire wall had been destroyed, exposing the interior rooms as a kind of giant matchbox model of urban decay and destitution.

I posted my pictures in another forum. 24 hours later, the building was in ruins. 24 hours after the fire, I was in my own bedroom folding laundry, and I had the TV on (whatever the A-Channel was) the evening news. Imagine my astonishment when I saw MY photographs featured in the story about the fire. Headline: ARSON INVESTIGATION.

(KublaKhan received no credit for the images, btw)

Witnesses reported seeing two persons fleeing the building just before the fire broke. The official story concludes that homeless persons accidentally set a fire. A dubious claim, at best.

Similar to the Empress Tunnel fire back in December.

#56 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:16 AM

Imagine my astonishment when I saw MY photographs featured in the story about the fire.

Suffice it to say, nobody here would be surprised at all by that.

#57 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:16 PM

#58 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:59 PM

Anthem's efforts to revive this project have stalled. The financials simply don't add up.

There won't be any development on this site for a long time. My efforts now will go into setting up a community garden so that some use can come from the site.

#59 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:22 AM

My efforts now will go into setting up a community garden so that some use can come from the site.

a traditional chinese community garden?

#60 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:44 AM

^ If they grew bok choy the Fisgard markets wouldn't have to import it from China! If it had a Chinese theme that would be pretty cool. Do you remember the garden on View St.? I think it was where the St. Vincent de Paul is now. Also, View Towers had one for a short time.

I think it was mentioned elsewhere in this thread that it can't be turned into a parking lot again as it's been rezoned residential.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users