• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#221 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

^Could you ask them for the encryption keys too? :)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#222 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:36 PM

Lol on it.

#223 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

You know, with public safety radio being public and all...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#224 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:46 PM

I'll pay you well to set it up for me.  

That's not a service I provide.

Lots of good information around this site, however: http://www.rtl-sdr.c...dio-unitrunker/

#225 3isenough

3isenough
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

The Greater Victoria feed is very digitized sounding now, I find its dropping more often but with it being combined with fire/ambulance there is much more traffic.

#226 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:28 PM

Haven't seen any news articles for this yet, but have seen it on a few Twitter pages. CRD formally announcing their partnership with E-Comm to consolidate 911/police call-taking and dispatch duties. Official release from the CRD available below:

"New consolidated 9-1-1/police dispatch centre to enhance public safety"

https://www.crd.bc.c...ft.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Edited by Kilo95, 27 February 2017 - 06:28 PM.

#227 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:39 AM

Interesting. Here is the release:

New consolidated 9-1-1/police dispatch centre to enhance public safety

VICTORIA – In an effort to enhance 9-1-1 call-answer and police dispatch services on Southern
Vancouver Island, police agencies in Greater Victoria and the Capital Regional District (CRD) will join
forces and operate out of a new shared state-of-the-art post-disaster facility.

The new South Island Dispatch Centre will be the first point of contact for 9-1-1 callers on South
Vancouver Island and will also house police call-taking and dispatch for the Victoria, Saanich, Central
Saanich and Oak Bay police departments as well as all local RCMP detachments.

“Consolidating South Vancouver Island’s dispatch services into one location will have many advantages,”
said Mike Morris, Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General. “Not only will it improve coordination
between police agencies so they can better respond to large emergencies that cross municipal
boundaries, the new dispatch centre will be housed in a purpose-built emergency response and postdisaster
building adding to the protection of 9-1-1 services.”

This public safety initiative has been led by the South Island Police Dispatch Steering Committee,
composed of police chiefs from Central Saanich, Oak Bay, Saanich, and Victoria, and representatives of
the RCMP, the Province of British Columbia, Capital Regional District and E-Comm.

“CRD staff have been working hard with the South Island Police Dispatch Steering Committee to finalize
facility planning for this new dispatch centre and we look forward to breaking ground in 2017,” said
Barbara Desjardins, CRD Board Chair. “We are confident that this project will improve service to the
public, increase officer safety and provide efficiencies for local governments, police and the RCMP.”

Saanich Police Chief Bob Downie, speaking on behalf of the steering committee, noted that this new
model has the support of all local law enforcement and that as the largest emergency communications
service provider in the province, “E-Comm’s experience and professionalism will only serve to enhance
public safety operations in Greater Victoria and the CRD.”

E-Comm President and CEO David Guscott added, “We’re eager to start work on this project and to
welcome the region’s existing 9-1-1 call-takers and dispatchers to the E-Comm team. Our goal is to
provide residents and officers in Greater Victoria and the CRD with high-quality and effective service.
We are proud to be their partners in public safety.”

The new CRD-owned facility will be located at 4219 Commerce Circle in Saanich and is expected to be operational by early 2019. To date, the Province has contributed $100,000 to support this project and the consolidation of 9-1-1 services on Vancouver Island.

Learn More:
For more information about this project please visit:
https://www.crd.bc.c...or-unified-911-
centre

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#228 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

so when you are following that drunk driver and talking to the 911 dispatch nothing will change you will still be transferred to different dispatchers as you cross over municipal borders. If you go from Vic to Oak Bay to Saanich you will need to start form the beginning each time you are transferred because the Victoria dispatcher s has no idea about Oak bat and Oak Bay has no idea about Saanich and if they cross into RCMP territory it will make you say F-It and hang up

Its still redundant and archaic compared to big cities

#229 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

so when you are following that drunk driver and talking to the 911 dispatch nothing will change you will still be transferred to different dispatchers as you cross over municipal borders. If you go from Vic to Oak Bay to Saanich you will need to start form the beginning each time you are transferred because the Victoria dispatcher s has no idea about Oak bat and Oak Bay has no idea about Saanich and if they cross into RCMP territory it will make you say F-It and hang up
Its still redundant and archaic compared to big cities

I am not necessarily disagreeing with what I think your point is - that there is too many forces here. But.

- in larger agencies of jurisdiction a vehicle for a minor offence that hadn't been located by Police very likely wouldn't be followed across a mm administrative border, anyways. So it's not really a change from Victoria. For example if a car is driving erratically in downtown Vancouver the call is transferred when the car gets into South Vancouver despite the fact it is the same Police agency.
- serious offences will generally be followed by the closest available unit. That is why in the very rare times there are pursuits in the CRD more than one agency is involved. As the agency of primary jurisdiction arrives they'd give way to the pursuing agency assuming they were out of jurisdiction.
- the start from the beinnning isn't true. Has this happened to you? Files in CAD can roll from jurisdiction to jurisdiction with relative ease. If Police Force 2 inherits Force 1's call they already have complainant information and notes. This only gets tricky if the transfer is from Fire or Ambulance rather than other Police.

This amalgamated dispatch centre, in my opinion, is a win. Realistic wages for the job, reduction in personnel in a logical way, and more centralized information for the Region.

#230 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:36 PM

My Experience was about 6 years ago.

Suspected impaired driver in Langford on highway 1 southbound near Thetis Lake

Call 911 talking to RCMP

Cross into Saanich at Portage Inlet Transferred to Saanich PD had to tell whole story form beginning again where are you now etc etc

Turn right on Admirals straight through toward Esquimalt...transferred to ESQ PD whole story again from beginning plates number etc

then onto Victoria where ESQ said they had to transfer me again and would need to start from beginning again. At that point I decided to carry on with my day

#231 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:17 PM

The days of knowing what your local emergency services are up to in the community are rapidly drawing to a close:

For Immediate Release – April 5, 2017

New radio system to provide first responders with
enhanced coverage, audio clarity and security

Vancouver, B.C.—Today marked a historic moment for the Lower Mainland’s emergency service community as the first of 32 public-safety agencies transitioned to a new best-in-class radio system. Among the key features of the “next generation” radio system and equipment: Greater reliability, water immersion resistance, radio monitoring (enabling dispatchers to remotely activate radio microphones for improved responder safety), noise-cancelling technology to reduce background sounds and allow responders to be heard more clearly in noisy environments, increased coverage, audio clarity and security, GPS tracking, an expanded range of accessories and the ability to add new features through software upgrades in the future.

The New Westminster and Port Moody Police Departments were the first to transition today at approximately 6:30 a.m. with New Westminster Chief Constable Dave Jones and Port Moody Chief Constable David Fleugel each making inaugural broadcasts to their officers. Port Moody and New Westminster police have been using the existing E-Comm radio system since 2000 and 2002 respectively. Combined, both agencies generate more than 1.4 million radio transmissions each year.

“Radios are a tool we rely on heavily when protecting the public,” explained Chief Jones. “The enhanced capabilities with this system will help keep my officers safer during day-to-day events and large-scale emergencies. They are a lifeline.”

Port Moody Chief Constable David Fleugel echoed Chief Jones’ emphasis of the critical role and the impact on officer and public safety, adding that “the new radio system’s features will also greatly enhance policing operations, including providing stronger coverage and improved audio clarity as officers cross municipal boundaries during the course of their duties or in really tricky locations such as underground parking garages and building basements where signal strength can be a challenge.”

The replacement of the existing regional radio network is the largest and most complex technology project E-Comm and its emergency-service partners have undertaken since the current radio system was first implemented 1999. Police officers, firefighters and paramedics using the current E-Comm regional radio network (800 MHz EDACS – Enhanced Digital Access Communications System), are all transitioning to the new $60 million system in a phased approach that is scheduled through to the end of 2017. This is a planned replacement, with the new network based on digital radio technology known as Project 25 (P25) in the 700 MHz band, an open standard that public-safety agencies across North America have widely adopted. The P25 technology was selected and endorsed by the Lower Mainland emergency services community following more than a year of consultation, analysis and testing.

“The importance of a high-performing radio system for our public safety partners cannot be overstated,” said E-Comm President and CEO David Guscott. “While the previous network has served our region well for close to 18 years, the P25 system is more advanced, more rugged and more resilient.”

The P25 network is also fully encrypted, meaning first responder communication will be kept extra secure and the privacy of the public who are being assisted by emergency services will be better protected during the necessary transmittal of personal and private information over the voice network.

The new radio system will be used by 32 emergency-service agencies including all police departments and BC Emergency Health Services (BC Ambulance Service) in Metro Vancouver and Abbotsford, in addition to 12 fire departments in Metro Vancouver and the BC Conservation Service. Approximately 8,000 new radios will be deployed generating more than 130 million transmissions each year. Because this is a planned transition, the annual cost of the new radio network will be about the same as the annual cost of the current network, even with its enhanced features. The new radio system is expected to have an operational lifespan of 15 or more years.

https://ecomm911.ca/...arity-and-s.php

#232 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:21 PM

The P25 network is also fully encrypted, meaning first responder communication will be kept extra secure and the privacy of the public who are being assisted by emergency services will be better protected during the necessary transmittal of personal and private information over the voice network.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#233 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:18 PM

Police wanting privacy?  Too bad it doesn't go the other way in equal parts.

The guy who just bludgeoned an innocent bystander doesn't need privacy, he needs all eyes looking for him.

#234 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:23 PM

I think if that type of call actually occurred with any frequency perhaps I'd find the arguments here against encryption less full-bore crazy.

But. You have no entitlement to people's health information. You have no entitlement to charge information for which there's no conviction. You have no entitlement to complaint / witness / other contact information or addresses. These are big ticket privacy issues, particularly the first two, which are far more substantial in the real world than a curiosity of what's on Police radio. This information is transmitted over Police radio constantly with the recipient of the transmission having a legitimate need-to-know (which is the standard imposed by Courts for those that follow this beyond VV threads).

Police calls have been solved by passers by because of a scanner before no doubt. I could count the number of times on one hand over the last three years, though, and given that there's about half a million Police files in the CRD annually the invasion of privacy doesn't outweigh the good that those events provided.

Edited by 57WestHills, 08 April 2017 - 03:24 PM.

#235 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:31 PM

Do we actually have any data on how unencrypted radios have negatively affected the public at-large/society?

Meanwhile everyone's got a phone and is itching to roll video at the sight of sirens and catch the next world star in action.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#236 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:40 PM

Every time what I mentioned above goes over unencrypted rebroadcast radio it's a breach of Canada's privacy law. The issue is far done in Court, it was an issue of technology, capital funding, and standardization catching up to actual encrypt.

With the current system each radio needed a unique hardwired code which in turn was hardwired into the receiving station. This, other than being expensive, would lead to Radios not working outside their own trunk (dispatch). That problem is gone now. Amongst lesser issues.

Edited by 57WestHills, 08 April 2017 - 03:41 PM.

#237 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:52 PM

And yet any time a civilian takes measures to safeguard his/her privacy, all it does is raise suspicion and make them a target for closer monitoring. 

#238 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

Police calls have been solved by passers by because of a scanner before no doubt. I could count the number of times on one hand over the last three years, though, and given that there's about half a million Police files in the CRD annually the invasion of privacy doesn't outweigh the good that those events provided.

There are not details of all those files being transmitted by police radio though.  And the health information and extended CPIC info, hardly any is transmitted by voice.  Wants/warrants (or whatever it's called) info is about all that's asked for by radio.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#239 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:34 PM

There are not details of all those files being transmitted by police radio though. And the health information and extended CPIC info, hardly any is transmitted by voice. Wants/warrants (or whatever it's called) info is about all that's asked for by radio.

That's incorrect. Truefor VicPD. Not the rest.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#240 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:41 PM

radio monitoring (enabling dispatchers to remotely activate radio microphones for improved responder safety),

I'm pretty sure if I was a cop I would want this service disabled, particularly if it is a two person car.

• sebberry likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users