Photo

Swans | Victoria | Pandora Ave. at Store St.

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#81 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

they have applied to switch the seats to liquor primary
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#82 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

You mean they're not already? It's a pub isn't it?

#83 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

You mean they're not already? It's a pub isn't it?

The "outdoor" seats are food primary. The inside is liquor primary.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#84 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

^It will be interesting to see if Staff and Council approve that. I somehow doubt the past Council would have approved the original sidewalk takeover if it meant it would be an extension of the liquor-primary pub. Although it will simplify the ridiculous present policy, it comes at the expense of excluding all patrons under 18.

#85 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

^It will be interesting to see if Staff and Council approve that. I somehow doubt the past Council would have approved the original sidewalk takeover if it meant it would be an extension of the liquor-primary pub. Although it will simplify the ridiculous present policy, it comes at the expense of excluding all patrons under 18.

Doesn't it also come at the expense of breakfast in that side? Even I get confused around the rules, but I don't think you can have a liquor-primary open at 9am and staying open beyond 1pm (the same "14-hour rule" that means Shark Club closes at 1am, not 2).
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#86 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

I kind of thought that this would be a sneaky way to extend your liquor primary seating without raising a fuss.

#87 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

I played a little volleyball at Sticky on the weekend, I hadn't realized the courts area was food-primary. I don't think they allow minors though. Maybe that makes sense, you should not play volleyball in a bar.

It also slightly amuses me that a dancer showing as much as a nipple off-stage is deemed a major public safety threat (Monty's) but someone beaming a volleyball at 60mph towards my table full of food and drinks (Sticky) isn't.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#88 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

It also slightly amuses me that a dancer showing as much as a nipple off-stage is deemed a major public safety threat (Monty's) but someone beaming a volleyball at 60mph towards my table full of food and drinks (Sticky) isn't.

If at no point in said volleyball lob was any nipple visible then you were never in any danger. :D

#89 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

believe it was approved last Thursday.
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

Council approved it. Patio will no longer be for kids.

#91 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:43 PM

Phillips buying Swans.

#92 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:56 PM

Say what?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#93 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:05 PM

Ok, so that puts to rest the possibility of Phillips opening a microbrewery at the Hudson Walk Two tower.

Swans is such a natural brewery for Phillips to acquire that it's amazing we haven't talked about that possibility before.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#94 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:06 PM

I wasn't aware UVic wanted to sell Swans. Interesting.

#95 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:14 PM

They'd changed their business model, Facebook tells me, about a year ish ago. Namely the removal of the dancing; not sure what else because I haven't been. Something presumably wasn't going quite right.

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:32 PM

The bar is in desperate need of an interior renovation, that's for sure, and I bet the reason why the dancing was axed is:

a) it scared away young people, and young people

b) consume a lot of booze

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#97 ESQ

ESQ
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:12 PM

UVic Properties denies that Swans has been sold or that it is even on the market.

I don't know where this guy is getting his intel, but he should really check it out first before accepting it as truth.

Edited by ESQ, 25 April 2016 - 05:13 PM.

#98 Jayson Brown

Jayson Brown
  • 18 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:15 PM

Philips needs a brewpub ... I was really hoping they hop'ed into the Hudson.

Edited by Jayson Brown, 25 April 2016 - 05:17 PM.

#99 3isenough

3isenough
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:35 PM

I haven't been to Swan's in years, I'm sure it could use a major overhaul if much hasn't changed. I worked there for a few years, 96/97'ish. I'm sure Michael Williams will be rolling in his grave, he was an eccentric old guy, we used to sit and chat before the pub opened for breakfast on Sunday mornings. He was very proud of the pub, the art, the beer and the regulars that would come by at cocktail hour.

Has anyone ever paid attention to the painting of Michael Williams? It used to be hung right by the entrance to the patio on Pandora side of the pub? His eyes would follow you... Very creepy 😳

#100 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:05 PM

I haven't been to Swan's in years, I'm sure it could use a major overhaul if much hasn't changed. I worked there for a few years, 96/97'ish. I'm sure Michael Williams will be rolling in his grave, he was an eccentric old guy, we used to sit and chat before the pub opened for breakfast on Sunday mornings. He was very proud of the pub, the art, the beer and the regulars that would come by at cocktail hour.

Has anyone ever paid attention to the painting of Michael Williams? It used to be hung right by the entrance to the patio on Pandora side of the pub? His eyes would follow you... Very creepy

On a windy night they say you can hear the rail cars being shunted into the building.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)