Photo

Swans | Victoria | Pandora Ave. at Store St.

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#101 3isenough

3isenough
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:43 PM

On a windy night they say you can hear the rail cars being shunted into the building.

Haven't heard that one? What did UVIC do with his house on Ten Mile Pt? Did they sell it or was it maintained as a gallery of sorts, if my memory serves me correctly that's what the intention was?

#102 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:15 AM

The house is on the market for $7.25 million.

#103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

I'm now hearing that Vic Pub Co was making some sort of a move to purchase Swans. Could this be a case of mistaken Matt's?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#104 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:32 AM

UVic Properties denies that Swans has been sold or that it is even on the market.

Remind me, does an official denial from up UVic way normally indicate true or not true?

#105 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:38 AM

Well, we know now that Victoria Pub Company has been eyeing up Swans, so whether or not it's for sale doesn't mean interested parties haven't been vying for it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#106 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:01 AM

Phillips buying Swans makes zero sense. VPC, on the other hand, would acquire its own beers and a third signature downtown location.

But I don't know if the will allows a sale. Maybe if Swans is losing money UVic is permitted to cut it loose.

Another possibility is VPC would merely manage the property, with profits still going to the university.

#107 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:26 PM

i remember reading at least 10 years ago when williams left all those properties to uvic they were going to look at what they were interested in keeping & i thought swans was one of the first properties they were going to sell since they're not in the pub/hotel business, so this rumour sounds funny to me. the new england hotel building was another but i guess they actually did sell that one.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 26 April 2016 - 03:27 PM.

#108 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:47 PM

Remind me, does an official denial from up UVic way normally indicate true or not true?

I don't think anyone at UVIC can professer to know the answer.

#109 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:55 PM

^^Did Michael Williams own the New England hotel? I thought the couple that owned Sweet Memories ice cream owned the whole building and sold it to Le Fevre a few years ago.

#110 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:03 PM

That is correct. Williams did not own the New England, at least not while Sweet Memories was in operation.

We now know there is a formal process underway regarding Swans. So there is much more to this, even if UVic is staying tight lipped.

Know it all.

#111 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:12 PM

looks like i had that wrong. I'm pretty sure when williams left all his properties to uvic, uvic said they were going to stick to more university-related stuff. i guess i could be wrong about that too.

#112 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

You had a good run.

#113 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:06 PM

Philips needs a brewpub ... I was really hoping they hop'ed into the Hudson.

Why would they need a brewpub?

looks like i had that wrong. I'm pretty sure when williams left all his properties to uvic, uvic said they were going to stick to more university-related stuff. i guess i could be wrong about that too.

That is what they said because that is what the terms of the bequest were. They had to make an honest effort before they could try anything else with the properties.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#114 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:33 PM

Phillips Brewery doesn't need to be a concert and festival venue, and yet...

I think a Phillips brewpub would be amazing. The excel at everything they do and their space is guaranteed to be amazing.

• Dietrich and 57WestHills like this

Know it all.

#115 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:44 PM

Except then their growlers would be more than $10. They would go through Rootcellar syndrome.

#116 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:44 PM

From my Intel, yes Swans is on the market, but it's the business, not the building. Several operators have been approached including Vic pub co and yes Phillips is connected to one of the proposals. I believe another well know operator has been chosen though. University sold the house a year or so after his death, because it was unsuitable for his intended request for a marine research station and the neughbors weren't happy with the idea.
  • 57WestHills likes this

#117 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:12 PM

From my Intel, yes Swans is on the market, but it's the business, not the building. Several operators have been approached including Vic pub co and yes Phillips is connected to one of the proposals. I believe another well know operator has been chosen though. University sold the house a year or so after his death, because it was unsuitable for his intended request for a marine research station and the neughbors weren't happy with the idea.

Thank you.

#118 3isenough

3isenough
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:28 PM

I was able to confirm about Swans being for sale last night too. Possibly a 15yr contract as per the will? Which would make sense, He passed away at the end of 2000. That part wasn't confirmed, but it was something that might have been part of it.

#119 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:35 PM

It appears this is a done deal and does involve Phillips.

Know it all.

#120 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:44 PM

So I can confirm the duo are involved with a visioning process to some degree, but UVic is not revealing (yet) if there are plans for an operating partnership.

Swans Brewpub looks to Phillips Brewing, Vic Pub Co., for inspiration

http://victoria.citi...or-inspiration/

Victoria’s third oldest microbrewery is reaching out to industry stalwarts as it seeks to modernize its operations and remain relevant in a changing neighbourhood, Citified has learned.

The operator of Swans Brewpub, situated in the historic Swans Hotel complex on Store Street at Pandora Avenue, has been in discussions with publican Matt McNeil of Vic Pub Co. (operator of Irish Times, Bard and Banker and Blethering Place pubs) and brewer Matt Phillips of Phillips Brewing and Malting Company, to assess the best way forward for the 27-year-old pub.

"[We've spoken with] local hospitality success stories to hear their comments and suggestions on how to best ensure the profitability of the property going forward," said Peter Kuran, President and CEO of UVic Properties. [Full article]

• thundergun likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users