Photo

Swans | Victoria | Pandora Ave. at Store St.

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#121 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:57 PM

VPC owns the Penny Farthing, not the defunct Blethering Place.

Management has always been Swans' weak point. I'm sure VPC will whip things into shape. It's safe to predict profits (and uniform hemlines) will rise.

• Mike K., Jill and Fernwoodian like this

#122 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:00 PM

^ Haha! Not to mention prices for a pint.

• Matt R. likes this

#123 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:15 PM

Damn.  I don't need another place in town serving a $7 or $8 pint.  I hope Matt takes it on, or someone else that keep it mixed up with a total local brew, daily specials, etc.  

#124 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:00 AM

neither of the phillipses:

From those discussions, there have been rumours that any number of other local brewers may be taking over the operation, though insiders have suggested that the Truffles Group, which owns the Canoe brewpub and chain of Cascadia Liquor stores, has secured the contract.

“We are certainly looking to revitalize Swans and based on our discussions with local hospitality experts. We are considering a variety of options at this point,” said Peter Kuran, president of UVic Properties. “We do not, however, have any agreements in place at this time.”

*snip*

Kuran said the idea of speaking with businesses in the hospitality industry was to “hear their comments and suggestions on how to best ensure the profitability of the property going forward. What should we be doing differently? What investment in the property was needed?”

“As part of the stewardship of the properties held by the university, or for the wholly owned subsidiaries of the university, we regularly look at how each property is performing and what is the best way forward for each property,” he said.

http://www.timescolo...d-pub-1.2249286

#125 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:04 AM

neither of the phillipses:

http://www.timescolo...d-pub-1.2249286

Has UVIC Properties successfully managed a single site that they own? My suggestion is that they focus on providing an education.

• Nparker likes this

#126 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:53 PM

I am not sure they are allowed to sell them though.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#127 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:57 PM

I haven't been in for months as things were declining. I see they are not getting better:

https://www.retailac.../2016/09/swans/

#128 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:20 AM

Whatever happened to bringing in Matt Phillips or other guys in the industry to help right the ship?

Swans is simply tired and in need of direction. It's hard to attract top talent when there are better alternatives in town.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#129 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:57 AM

The only question I would have is why haven't the other two servers that were present leave some sort of comment of support down below. Right now this is her story only, and I would like to hear more before passing judgement.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#130 peanutflower

peanutflower
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:39 AM

The only question I would have is why haven't the other two servers that were present leave some sort of comment of support down below. Right now this is her story only, and I would like to hear more before passing judgement.

I question this whole thing.  I know Mike Boyle.  He used to manage the Bard.  I know Jason.  I find this whole thing to be quite out of character for both of them.  How can this server relate verbatim conversation.  I must be getting old or something, because I find all this public clamouring for support to be obnoxious and indicative of the current trend to making everyone else responsible for one's actions, if that makes sense.  

#131 peanutflower

peanutflower
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:40 AM

I am not sure they are allowed to sell them though

UVic is in a tricky situation with all of these bequeathed buildings and businesses.  Mr. Williams may have had good intentions, but it's not the kind of thing that a university needs to or should be doing.  There has been a lot of internal strife about this, I've heard from my university pals.  

#132 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:56 AM

I believe the pub should be sold or licensed to a reputable restaurateur. It's in real need of a spruce up.
  • thundergun likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#133 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:38 PM

Word is definitely out on the street about the cutbacks at Swan's.  

In the last month, Swan's has really changed (due to recent management change).  They've cancelled all their daily drink specials, no more music, no more Sunday Ceasar specials, No more fun.  

Recently, a server told us she was really getting tired of having to continually tell locals that the specials etc. have been cancelled. 

On my visits to the area, the restaurant is noticeably less busy.  Thursday and Friday afternoons should be packed.  Instead, they look like this (a recent photo, thursday, 4pm.):

P1020858.jpg

• weirdie likes this

#134 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:50 PM

It's starting to remind me of the defunct restaurant at the Cedar Hill Golf Course; a restaurant run by an organization without knowledge of, or interest in, the hospitality industry.
  • Jill likes this

#135 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:37 AM

What a shame. This place could be something great with new leadership. It's a prime location with a decent footprint. At the minimum they need a better brewer and food that isn't disappointing.

#136 EskimoDave

EskimoDave
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:23 AM

What a shame. This place could be something great with new leadership. It's a prime location with a decent footprint. At the minimum they need a better brewer and food that isn't disappointing.

Management didn't give the brewer (who has moved to Axe and Barrel) much creative control.

http://beerontherock.com, a comprehensive Vancouver Island beer blog.

#137 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

UVic-Properties-looks-for-partner-to-operate-Swans.jpg

Operating partner to re-energize historic Swans Hotel & Brewpub

http://victoria.citi...-hotel-brewpub/

Swans Hotel and Brewpub may soon be under the control of a new operator following UVic Properties’ announcement that the organization is seeking a partner-operator to manage the facility.

A request for expressions of interest (REFOI) was issued on February 17th to qualify interested publicans and hoteliers for the opportunity to take over operations from UVic. The university will continue to own the heritage-designated building and property in what has been recently referred to as the 'Lantern District' of lower Pandora Avenue.

“Swans is a strong hospitality brand in Victoria and the property is well located in an emerging area of the city. In order to maintain our relevance, we are looking for a dynamic partnership opportunity that would see Swans revitalized to maintain a viable and sustainable source of revenue from the business and we expect an operating partner to deliver those results,” says Peter Kuran, president and CEO of UVic Properties.

“A partnership with a proven hospitality operator will ensure this property continues to financially support UVic and assures that the hotel, brewery and pub have a strong, viable future. In this way, we continue to honour Michael Williams’ legacy toward post-secondary education and community benefit.” [Full article]

Know it all.

#138 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:52 AM

Who invented the "Lantern District" moniker, when and why? I remember when everything south of Chinatown and west of Douglas was simply and memorably referred to as Old Town. It seems like every half-block or so now has its own name. It's confusing and unnecessary IMO.

• http likes this

#139 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:01 PM

I predict Lantern District will catch on just like LoJo and the Design District have.

• Nparker likes this

#140 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:09 PM

I predict Lantern District will catch on just like LoJo and the Design District have.

Or as I like to call them LaDi, LoJo and DeDi.*

* The nonsense sisters.

Edited by Nparker, 17 February 2017 - 12:37 PM.

• VicHockeyFan, Jill and lanforod like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users