Photo

Sewage treatment in Victoria | McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant

• Please log in to reply
5667 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost. (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost.

1. We need it and waited too long that is the cost of waiting too long! (65 votes [23.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.47%

2. Local, Provincial, and Federal politicians will find a way to help cut down the price to property owners. (3 votes [1.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

3. Out of the question, too expensive for Greater Victoria. (122 votes [44.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.04%

4. It expensive, but if we do nothing costs will only rise. (20 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. We need to do it but greatly scale back the project. It has grwon out of hand. (34 votes [12.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

6. No opinion, I do not know enough about the project to say of the costs are out of line or not. (33 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#4841 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:06 PM

What?  Victoria has 11 cranes up, and nobody fixed up the school vents here.  The sewage plant will cause no more dust than any of our big projects.  I know, I know, it's all about the children.

JohnN, Did I read somewhere that Esquimalt was going to get money to scrap the barging idea?

I hadn't heard that Esquimalt would get money to scrap barging but if alternative to barging means parade of trucks through the neighbourhood, might be a tough sell to E-towners who live along the route. I think barging was included as part of the amenities coming to Esquimalt so its possible that Esquimalt Council might think about how to claim those several millions if some sort of compromise could be worked out with neighbours.

:)

#4842 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:46 PM

With new CRD sewage plant in operation, could sewage services be sold to visiting cruise ships? Apparently Juneau is getting into the sewage sales business. Excerpt:
The city is in negotiations to set a price for sewage service, and the ability of the downtown sewage treatment plant will determine whether the city accepts sewage from any given ship...

Why would cruise ships pay? Can't they just dump everything 12 miles offshore?

#4843 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

Why would cruise ships pay? Can't they just dump everything 12 miles offshore?

Currently 12 miles offshore for untreated human sewage and 3 miles offshore for grey water and treated human sewage but if there is federal impetus for tightening the regulations (Salish Sea as) Alaska's tight regs might be a model for Salish Sea and Inside Passage cruise routes. For example, Minister of Transport Garneau's recent letter to CRD, while rejecting CRD call for Salish Sea to be a Particularly Sensitive Sea Area (PSSA), seems to be suggesting a Canada-US agreement could be as tight as a PSSA. If so, Alaska might indeed be the model and onshore ship sewage treatment a possibility. Ogden Point cruise ship wharves are near the planned under-harbour sewage pipe to McLoughlin.

Edited by JohnN, 26 January 2017 - 04:13 PM.

#4844 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

They are also right next to a few sewer lines that service the facilities on the pier VHA are just lazy

#4845 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

Excerpt:
“There will be construction disruption to James Bay, to Fairfield, to Esquimalt, to residents across the region as the pipe goes out to Saanich, but the moment that governments start giving amenity for construction disruption, we’d all go out of business pretty quickly,” Helps said.

#4846 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

Excerpt:
“There will be construction disruption to James Bay, to Fairfield, to Esquimalt, to residents across the region as the pipe goes out to Saanich, but the moment that governments start giving amenity for construction disruption, we’d all go out of business pretty quickly,” Helps said.

Except Esquimalt, that has laid claim to compensation already.  The construction disruption in Victoria will be much more severe than Esquimalt.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4847 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

No mention in story of First Nations concerns about the route - including archeological issues (image below):

Attached Images

• Archaeological Sites along Dallas Road.jpg

#4848 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:32 AM

Excerpts:
During a meeting Thursday, some councillors expressed concern with the impact the construction would cause in the already congested James Bay neighbourhood, but Elizabeth Scott, deputy project director of the Core Area Wastewater Treatment Project, assured the issue is at the forefront as the project moves into the next stage of construction planning.
...City staff noted the design details have yet to be worked out and are far from being finalized. Council also directed staff to include electric car charging stations at Clover Point as discussions on amenities continue, and to hold a community workshop on the design elements and cycle path.
...A number of amenities will remain from the existing zoning bylaw, including $100,000 towards public art, $75,000 towards public open space, air filter upgrades for local schools and an annual contribution of $55,000 to an operating reserve fund.

- "Clover Point moves into rezoning for sewage project":  http://www.vicnews.c.../412426033.html

#4849 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:17 PM

CRD sewage committee meets Feb 8, 9:30am and agenda items include:
- Report from the Core Area Wastewater Treatment Project Board - February 2017;
- Budget Reconciliation Between Seaterra Program Budget and Business Case Budget;
- Project Board Remuneration. 
Links to agenda+reports on CRD live webcast site: 

CRD's Integrated Resource Management Committee meets Feb 8, 11am and included on agenda is presentation via remote link:  Mark McKenzie,  City of Sydney, Australia, Gasification Project - Master Planning Energy from Waste.

Links to agenda + reports at CRD live webcast site: 

#4850 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:11 AM

Could Desjardins' going for Liberal nomination have played a part in her attitudes on sewage plant project, either in her role on Esquimalt council or as CRD Board chair?

Desjardins a likely lock for B.C. Liberal nomination:
http://www.timescolo...ation-1.9715313

#4851 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:13 AM

^ I think that it is a fair question. When did Desjardins start having discussions with the Liberal executive and what, if any, commitments did she make to them about the amenity package and proposal acceptance?

She is also being sued by Chief Elsner so it would also be a fair question to ask what, if any, commitments were made regarding the standing of that case and a settlement with the Chief.

#4852 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:08 PM

Webcast video (66 minutes) of CRD sewage committee meeting today Feb 8. http://crd.ca.granic...d=1&clip_id=875
- Presentation by John Gunton suggests sub-sea pipe Clover to Ogden point includes pdf slides.
- Presentation by James Bay association Marg Gardiner targets unequal amenities going to Esquimalt vs Fairfield/James By includes pdf slides.
- Project Board report presentation by Jane Bird highlights land use planning in Victoria and in Esquimalt, budget includes discussion with P3 Canada, plant constructors, plant construction sequence (pipeline, etc). Responds to questions.

#4853 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:19 PM

Give Marg Gardiner some points here, James Bay is taking about as big a disruption hit here as Esquimalt is.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4854 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:45 AM

Excerpts:
Increases of $100,000 each in compensation paid the chair and vice-chair of the Capital Regional District’s sewage treatment project board are too rich and out of proportion with what the average Victorian makes, says Victoria Coun. Ben Isitt.
...This week CRD directors received a report which showed the compensation that will be paid to Bird and Fairbairn from June last year until March 31 is expected to be $225,000 and $210,000 respectively — up $100,000 each. “I have heard a lot of concern from the public about the level of remuneration,” Isitt told members of the CRD sewage committee Wednesday.
...Isitt’s concerns were echoed by Victoria Coun. Geoff Young, who said the current sewage treatment project is “to a large extent repeating work that we have done before.” “The fact is we are repeating a lot of work that was already done, quite ably, in my view, by the Seaterra board,” Young said. But Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps disagreed, saying that unlike the dismantled Seaterra project, this project is moving ahead.

Councillors lambaste $100,000 boosts for sewage-panel chiefs: 

#4855 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:53 AM

Excerpts:
Esquimalt council will hold a public hearing into rezoning McLoughlin Point on Feb. 20. As part of its amenity package, the township has dropped an earlier demand that construction materials be barged to the site so as not to disturb neighbours and to minimize wear and tear on the roads.
...Instead, about $8 million to $9 million previously earmarked for the barging and related facilities will be diverted to a $17-million amenity reserve for improvements to parks, recreation facilities and public safety. Under proposed zoning bylaw changes, improvements totalling $950,000 are included for streets between Lampson Street and Esquimalt Road. All roads damaged by construction traffic are also to be reinstated to equal or better conditions than existed before construction.
...Also included in the mix is a $55,000 annual payment to an Esquimalt reserve fund in lieu of property taxes, an upgraded pump station at Macaulay Point, upgraded air filters for local schools and $100,000 for public art.

James Bay deserves compensation for sewage-work disruptions: councillor

#4856 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:01 AM

^ OK, as I had mentioned earlier, barging is gone.

#4857 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:33 AM

Oh oh, trouble's a-brewing down in Washington State. I wonder if they'll continue on with their desire for a boycott of Victoria?

'Major emergency' dumps millions of gallons of raw sewage into Puget Sound

http://komonews.com/...nto-puget-sound

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4858 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

^ OK, as I had mentioned earlier, barging is gone.

So much for reconciliation! 

#4859 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:24 AM

Since both Minister Polak and CRD chair/Esquimalt mayor Desjardins are involved in CRD sewage plant planning, posting this invitation to a political event is germane to this forum. I do not necessarily support or oppose the appointment but do find the Polak-Desjardins link of interest in the context of potential conflict of interest issues. 

CELEBRATE BARB DESJARDINS WITH THE HONOURABLE MARY POLAK: 
Excerpt:
Esquimalt - Metchosin BC Liberal Riding Association is pleased to announce that Barb Desjardins has been appointed by Premier Christy Clark as your candidate for Esquimalt - Metchosin. Minister Polak will be present to celebrate Barb as our candidate for the 2017 election. As a Mayor and chair of the CRD, Barb Desjardins has a strong record of fighting for her community and she is ready to fight for Esquimalt - Metchosin at the Provincial level. 
...Special Guest: the Honourable Mary Polak, Minister of the Environment...

https://secure.bclib...om/event/531326

#4860 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:53 AM

^ The optics of this pairing isn't great. It is easy to assume that this relationship flourished socially after the business was handled.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users