Photo

Sewage treatment in Victoria | McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant

• Please log in to reply
5655 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost. (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost.

1. We need it and waited too long that is the cost of waiting too long! (65 votes [23.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.47%

2. Local, Provincial, and Federal politicians will find a way to help cut down the price to property owners. (3 votes [1.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

3. Out of the question, too expensive for Greater Victoria. (122 votes [44.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.04%

4. It expensive, but if we do nothing costs will only rise. (20 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. We need to do it but greatly scale back the project. It has grwon out of hand. (34 votes [12.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

6. No opinion, I do not know enough about the project to say of the costs are out of line or not. (33 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#4861 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

^ The optics of this pairing isn't great. It is easy to assume that this relationship flourished socially after the business was handled.

Interesting that with her acclamation as Liberal Party candidate, which I assume that will be on February 16, 2017, Desjardins will be wearing hats of Liberal Party, CRD chair and Esquimalt mayor by the time of the Public Hearing on Zoning Amendment Bylaw on February 20, 2017 and then the Council consideration of adopting Zoning Amendment Bylaw and approving Development Permit on February 27, 2017. 

:)

#4862 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

Interesting that with her acclamation as Liberal Party candidate, which I assume that will be on February 16, 2017, Desjardins will be wearing hats of Liberal Party, CRD chair and Esquimalt mayor by the time of the Public Hearing on Zoning Amendment Bylaw on February 20, 2017 and then the Council consideration of adopting Zoning Amendment Bylaw and approving Development Permit on February 27, 2017. 

To clarify, "Desjardins officially secured the party nomination on Wednesday..."   http://www.vicnews.c.../413413893.html

#4863 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

And Feb 24th is supposed to be the day that the OPCC finally issues their report on Elsner. A skeptic might think that the dates all aligned to ensure that everyone played their part on both sides of any deal that may or may not have been made.

#4864 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:41 AM

And what about compensation when Saanich’s roads are ripped up to bury the sludge line to the Hartland Road landfill? Let’s figure that out sooner rather than later

. - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.5NKhTgTP.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4865 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

James Bay residents... should get some compensation...

Victoria gets a few goodies...

“Given that the region has opened up the purse strings … and has been fairly generous in terms of amenities..."

Such bounty. I'm reminded of the party that Mike K. throws whenever a forumer reaches 10,000 posts. You get a cake, a card, a nice gift, an open bar... the only catch is, you have to pay for all of it (plus an administration fee).

• Mike K. likes this

#4866 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

Such bounty. I'm reminded of the party that Mike K. throws whenever a forumer reaches 10,000 posts. You get a cake, a card, a nice gift, an open bar... the only catch is, you have to pay for all of it (plus an administration fee).

But most of the 10,000 plus folks are staff who are probably required to work unpaid overtime to pay for the cake.  Hold on...did you get a cake?

#4867 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:54 PM

I didn't get anything. Mike said he wasn't feeling well and cancelled at the last minute. Non-refundable, of course.

#4868 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:10 PM

Modern sewage plants are supposed to be almost odour-free, but if this one isn’t, James Bay will smell it as much or more than Esquimalt will.

Ms. B would have loved this.

Modern sewage systems

are supposed to be

almost odour-free

but this one might not be

almost odour-free.

And if this system isn't almost odour-free, James Bay and Esquimalt would both be smelling it, and James Bay might be smelling it even more than Esquimalt.

On the plus side, no mention of potential odour issues in Vic West, the inner harbour, or downtown. That's a relief.

Seriously, that editorial was supposed to be a feel-good piece, wasn't it? The whole point of a "sunshine and lollipops" item is to reassure people, yes? Not to give them nightmares?

#4869 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

When the wind is blowing from the right direction most locations will almost be odour-free, except if you happen to live downwind of the McLoughlin plant.

Since the prevailing wind at the plant is out mostly out of the west Metchosin and Sooke should be the go-to locations to live in.

The better solution would be to have everything at the Hartland Landfill with a tall chimney that gets the odour up into the jet-stream and heading for Ottawa.

Otherwise, I think the solution will be to hang those deodorizer trees outside your bedroom windows at night.

#4870 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

Helps' TC letter today: "Shared oversight of sewage would be disaster"

Excerpts:

As for the funding, it was clear in my face-to-face meeting with the
CEO of 3P Canada in December 2015 that all the federal funding pots
were tied together. The risk of not having a project was not that
$83.4 million would disappear; it’s that the total federal funding
would disappear, and with it the provincial funding. That’s $500
million.
...Shared oversight of the project between politicians and a delegated
professional board of industry experts, which Atwell suggests, is a
disaster waiting to happen.
...Most importantly, our job is not to keep revisiting
decisions made by a strong majority of the board. Leadership is
forward-looking and getting shovels in the ground.

http://www.timescolo...ster-1.10075257

#4871 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:04 PM

Continuing previous posting, Atwell's question is at 54:49 minute mark in webcast: http://crd.ca.granic...d=1&clip_id=875

Helps (and Jensen before her) insist on labelling P3 Canada as 3P Canada.
Maybe they're thinking of C-3PO robot in Star Wars?

CRD Board meeting Feb 22, 9:30am starts with presentation by Marg
Gardiner, asserting that James Bay will need more amenities in order
to mitigate impacts of sewage plant.

Next agenda items deal with CRD sewage plant Project Board, budget
reconciliation and Project Board remuneration.

Live webcast site has links to agenda+reports:
https://www.crd.bc.c...es/live-webcast

#4872 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:42 PM

Looks like Esquimalt picked up $20M in goodies tonight by approving the zoning for the proposed sewage treatment plant.

In case you are wondering why there is not a rezoning process (like Frank Leonard had us believe) to allow "Liquid Waste" processing in Saanich at Hartland, let me explain it to you.

Pay attention as this is tricky. (pun intended)

When the existing zoning permits the processing of "Solid Waste in accordance with a Solid Waste Management Plan (which the CRD had with approval by the Province) all you need to do is amend the Solid Waste Management Plan to include liquid waste.

https://www.crd.bc.c...t8.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Alakazam.....presto...job done. No need for any pesky public hearings now. No public consultation, no impact studies, no amenities....no nothing.

• DavidSchell likes this

#4873 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:13 AM

^ I'd think a judge would rule that not allowed... who would take it to court though?

#4874 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:12 AM

‘Taking one for the team,’ Esquimalt council OKs rezoning to allow sewage plant

Bill Cleverley / Times Colonist
FEBRUARY 20, 2017 09:32 PM

With some of them saying the township was taking one for the team,
Esquimalt councillors gave the green light Monday to zoning changes
that will allow a regional sewage treatment plant to be built at
McLoughlin Point.

“To the region and to the many communities that said no, they didn’t
want to be a team player, you’re welcome. Esquimalt has class and
we’ve followed this through with class,” said Coun. Meagan Brame .

READ MORE at: http://www.timescolo...lant-1.10150572

#4875 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:21 AM

^^ Who's going to cough up the dough to start that? The Prospect Lake Community Association?

#4876 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:22 AM

‘Taking one for the team,’ Esquimalt council OKs rezoning to allow sewage plant

Bill Cleverley / Times Colonist
FEBRUARY 20, 2017 09:32 PM

With some of them saying the township was taking one for the team,
Esquimalt councillors gave the green light Monday to zoning changes
that will allow a regional sewage treatment plant to be built at
McLoughlin Point.

“To the region and to the many communities that said no, they didn’t
want to be a team player, you’re welcome. Esquimalt has class and
we’ve followed this through with class,” said Coun. Meagan Brame .

READ MORE at: http://www.timescolo...lant-1.10150572

Love the part about

Desjardins said unlike the failed rezoning process in 2014, “this was a project that came forward with the things that we asked for last time that didn’t happen: respect collaboration, listening.” - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.QXEwBL0U.dpuf

So the region wasted two years and $70M and Esquimalt residents forfeited $13M in amenities so that Barb could be listened to and respected!

• Bingo, tedward and nerka like this

#4877 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:12 AM

Esquimalt Council was the last obstacle before this cockamamie plan goes into operation. It's hard to believe that in a rational society we spend huge tax dollars, causing construction delays and headaches, to produce something which has not been shown to provide any benefit. 

• tedward likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#4878 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:38 AM

Seems that slight majority of CFAX poll respondents (at this time) aren't happy to know that Esquimalt Council has finally passed rezoning to allow the sewage treatment plant to go ahead (poll image below).  http://www.iheartradio.ca/cfax-1070

Attached Images

• cfax poll.jpg

#4879 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

How many voted in the poll?

5?

#4880 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

How many voted in the poll?

5?

Tell me how you'd get to 45/55 with 5 votes, HB.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users