Photo

Sewage treatment in Victoria | McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant

• Please log in to reply
5655 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost. (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost.

1. We need it and waited too long that is the cost of waiting too long! (65 votes [23.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.47%

2. Local, Provincial, and Federal politicians will find a way to help cut down the price to property owners. (3 votes [1.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

3. Out of the question, too expensive for Greater Victoria. (122 votes [44.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.04%

4. It expensive, but if we do nothing costs will only rise. (20 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. We need to do it but greatly scale back the project. It has grwon out of hand. (34 votes [12.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

6. No opinion, I do not know enough about the project to say of the costs are out of line or not. (33 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#4881 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:52 PM

there is a margin of error and my numbers are like CFAX Polls unreliable and make no sense.

#4882 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:00 PM

there is a margin of error and my numbers are like CFAX Polls unreliable and make no sense.

So like my BCF number then.    :banana:

• Mike K. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4883 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

How many voted in the poll?

5?

When you vote and the percentages don't change then it was more than 100!

#4884 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:25 PM

no not at all you were grabbing numbers from thin air and fabricating passenger numbers with no validation whatsoever but that's Ok I'm not in argument mood

#4885 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

CFAX poll at 2:45pm is YES 48%, NO 52%: http://www.iheartradio.ca/cfax-1070

CFAX hasn't published respondent count for several years but could be that most of the respondents might reflect the profile of its listeners although I don't usually hear CFAX announcers advertising their online poll. 

At 9am this morning, CFAX Adam Stirling had Brian Burchill on for interview, followed couple hours later by Barb Desjardins and at around noon, Susan Low (Esquimalt councillor). If there was any persuasion from Burchill it would be towards NO, for Desjardins towards YES, and Low might be equivocal YES-NO (as previous Green Party candidate, she has spoken out against CRD sewage plans in 2013 and occasionally since then repeated her concerns. 

Too bad that CFAX no longer keeps full podcasts of its transmissions. At least, I couldn't find the Burchill, Desjardins or Low interviews. 

:)

#4886 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...corix-1.3993381

Yukon gov't sues builder of Dawson City's troubled sewage treatment plant
Territorial government seeks $39.5 million, claiming the plant built by Corix Utilities is a failure

#4887 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:17 AM

Good for them for holding the contractor accountable but that is the exception rather than the rule. Usually politicians and civil servants are far too willing to overlook issues or try and brush them under the carpet because they don't want to deal with the fallout and accusations that they didn't properly procure or manage the contract.

I wonder if the Province is planning to sue Cerner or IBM for the hundreds of millions wasted on Ihealth?

#4888 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:34 AM

Like the JSBridge fiasco, most of the engineers, politicians and consultants will be long gone from the project well before the sewage plant treats it's first turd.

• spanky123 likes this

#4889 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:35 AM

Times Colonist has new paywall on their news site so you may need to open this story in your private/incognito browser.

EXCERPTS:
...Ironically, councillors heard from more James Bay residents concerned about the potential noise and odour impacts of the treatment plant a kilometre across the Outer Harbour in Esquimalt than it did from residents living near the Clover Point plant, which is in Fairfield.
...Marg Gardiner, president of the James Bay Neighbourhood Association, said her community has not received the same consideration as Esquimalt, even though it will bear the brunt of construction noise from drilling for the sewage main pipe. Any noise and odours emanating from the McLoughlin Point treatment plant once in operation will be carried directly into James Bay, she said.

Victoria paves way to expand sewage pump station at Clover Point:

#4890 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:25 AM

Marg Gardiner, president of the James Bay Neighbourhood Association, said her community has not received the same consideration as Esquimalt, even though it will bear the brunt of construction noise from drilling for the sewage main pipe

I nominate this guy for the Ultimate NIMBY award.

#4891 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:45 AM

Tree Planting.jpg

The guy on the left is Marg Gardiner.

http://www.victoria....wharf-park.html

• Hotel Mike likes this

#4892 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:09 AM

^ Digging up that beautiful garden. How horrible....

#4893 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

On the Level, witty commenter on VV, said he has not received the same consideration as Esquimalt, even though he will bear a steady stream of constant snivelling from those that cannot manage change during their lifetime.

Fixed it...

#4894 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

Those True Temper shovels will calm things down.

#4895 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

CRD sewage committee meets March 8, 9:30am. Agenda items are few:
- Provincial Contribution Agreement (Report to follow),
- Core Area Wastewater Treatment Project Development Phase Report (with link to 19-page report),
- Regional Source Control Program - Emerging Contaminants Reduction Plan (with link to 3-page report "Regional Source Control Program – Emerging Contaminants Reduction Plan".
Webcast page has link to agenda+reports: https://www.crd.bc.c...es/live-webcast

#4896 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:46 AM

Excerpts:
A previous plan for McLoughlin Point, about eight years in the making, was shelved in 2014 when Esquimalt council refused to allow necessary zoning variances.
Last May, with provincial and federal funding deadlines looming, Community Minister Peter Fassbender stepped in. He took the process away from local politicians and turned it over to a panel called the Core Area Waste Water Treatment Project Board, headed by chairwoman Jane Bird.
“I know it’s been a long road getting here. It’s been an expensive road getting here, but at the end of the day, we have a project that is lower than the previous project to taxpayers cost wise, with a higher level of treatment,” Helps said.

Sewage plant could break ground in April: ‘Isn’t that something?’
http://www.timescolo...hing-1.11118278

#4897 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:56 AM

Watch the Core Area sewage meeting on webcast this morning starting 9:30am - will probably be discussion about the details of the project: https://www.crd.bc.c...es/live-webcast
Note that the TC story is drawing on 19-page Project Board Phase Report to be introduced at the meeting today. Report: https://crd.ca.legis...7F-A9D120C3673E

#4898 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

Are there any outstanding law suits or other challenges to this crazy plan, or is it a fait accompli now?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#4899 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

Correction: CRD meeting is tomorrow March 8, not today.

#4900 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

Natives have made out well under the guidance of Curtis Grad.  They get $480,000 for West Bay Marina improvements and all their legal and administrative costs covered by the CRD.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users