Photo

Sewage treatment in Victoria | McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant

• Please log in to reply
5655 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost. (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost.

1. We need it and waited too long that is the cost of waiting too long! (65 votes [23.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.47%

2. Local, Provincial, and Federal politicians will find a way to help cut down the price to property owners. (3 votes [1.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

3. Out of the question, too expensive for Greater Victoria. (122 votes [44.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.04%

4. It expensive, but if we do nothing costs will only rise. (20 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. We need to do it but greatly scale back the project. It has grwon out of hand. (34 votes [12.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

6. No opinion, I do not know enough about the project to say of the costs are out of line or not. (33 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#5001 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:33 AM

...that's one challenge with dragging our heals for so long.

You're saying Victoria has a chronic condition? Sometimes I wonder if the city is just malingering.

#5002 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:38 AM

"heal" as versus "heel".

Now I feel like a jerk for making a hilarious joke out of it.

• Kungsberg likes this

#5003 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:12 AM

Attached Images

• Anglers 1.jpg
  • Anglers 2.jpg
  • Anglers 3.jpg

#5004 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:06 PM

I posited that outcome in my post here a couple of weeks ago.

I'll paraphrase what I said in my previous post once again ... that "noise fence" is a complete and utter joke. Only  fool would think it would accomplish anything.

When the "tool to rock-face" location (in its various forms) moves further away from James Bay Anglers, the noise may abate slightly ... maybe.

My informed opinion is that noise abatement is a lost cause on this job due to sheer ignorance and gross neglect.

They knew it would be in excess of the permitted noise levels, they didn't care, and they went on to boldly lie about it ... probably bodes heavily as to how this entire project will be managed.

#5005 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

"heal" as versus "heel".

Now I feel like a jerk for making a hilarious joke out of it.

Hardy harr

#5006 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:27 PM

Letter in Focus July/August issue: 

Why are we in thrall to Seattle on sewage?

Excerpt:

Why are we in thrall to Seattle over this? Are we that gutless? I refuse to believe the impact of a boycott on tourism is so monumental that we must crawl on our knees as supplicants, grateful for any wee morsels thrown our way.

Read more: http://www.focusonvi...om-readers-r14/

• A Girl is No one likes this
:)

#5007 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:09 PM

So....

https://crd.bc.ca/do...da.pdf?sfvrsn=4

According to that, we will line up a 4-foot wide pipe, all the way down Niagara almost to Government St., weld it up, then it'll take 4 days to haul it across the harbour.    That's going to interesting for folks in James Bay, especially that live on Niagara.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5008 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:35 PM

So....

https://crd.bc.ca/do...da.pdf?sfvrsn=4

According to that, we will line up a 4-foot wide pipe, all the way down Niagara almost to Government St., weld it up, then it'll take 4 days to haul it across the harbour.    

It would be cheaper to just add that 4-foot wide pipe to the end of the existing Clover Point outfall pipe.

#5009 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:07 AM

Excerpt:
What amenities could materialize with a $17-million improvement in the Township of Esquimalt? That’s the question the township will ask residents as it looks to decide how to spend amenities package funding it will receive in exchange for allowing construction of the region’s wastewater treatment plant at McLoughlin Point.
...“We want the public to really weigh in before we make any decisions,” said Mayor Barb Desjardins.

#5010 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

Excerpt:
A James Bay business owner says the amount of noise coming from pile driving work for the region's sewage treatment project is coming as a surprise.
SEWAGE CONSTRUCTION NOISE RATTLES BUSINESS OWNER: http://www.iheartrad...owner-1.2813141

#5011 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:22 PM

yyjsewage, excerpt:

Due to an obstruction the casing hammering did not take place on
Saturday 8th July and, according to a CRD briefing note, has been
postponed until later this week
....Our expert geologists have repeatedly warned of the risks
associated with the tunnelled/drilled route; one of these being the
presence of “glacial erratics“, large boulders transported across the
Strait of Georgia during a previous ice age. An example of a glacial
erratic can be seen at Harling Point near the Chinese Cemetery. If one
of these has been encountered the delay could be significantly longer!

READ MORE:
http://www.yyjsewage...tform=hootsuite

#5012 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

Excerpt:

What amenities could materialize with a $17-million improvement in the Township of Esquimalt? That’s the question the township will ask residents as it looks to decide how to spend amenities package funding it will receive in exchange for allowing construction of the region’s wastewater treatment plant at McLoughlin Point.

...“We want the public to really weigh in before we make any decisions,” said Mayor Barb Desjardins.

http://www.vicnews.c...h-of-amenities/

Why not just a cash bonus for all esquimalt residents? By my calculations all residents would get at least 900 bucks. Probably more if we didn't give money to anyone under 18

#5013 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:25 PM

'Cause $17M spent on a new swimming pool, say, (I know they have a pretty good pool right now - that's just an example) is much better long-term for the community than people blowing it on a bunch of selfish stuff.  The money is being fronted as a payoff to the Community, not individuals..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#5014 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

How about buy everyone a bike and a kayak then.  That's good for health.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5015 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:06 PM

...a glacial erratic can be seen at Harling Point near the Chinese Cemetery.

If one of these has been encountered the delay could be significantly longer!

The invasion of those spooky erratics could ruin your midnight picnic. Stay away from having one in a cemetery.

#5016 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:43 PM

CRD Committee of the Whole meets August 2, 9am, with major agenda item being presentation by federal Minister of Infrastructure and Communities Amarjeet Sohi.
Maybe Sohi will be addressing CRD sewage plant project?

#5017 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

Can Sohi cancel it for us?
  • Hotel Mike likes this

#5018 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:32 AM

Sad to report death of Ted Dew-Jones, P.Eng (Dec 1 1925 to July 22nd 2017) who worked tirelessly over several decades to challenge the rush to land-based sewage treatment in Victoria. 

Ted's most-publicized monograph, "Victoria's Sewage Circus" (1991, revised 2007) is still online at: http://dew-jones.ca/...rcus/index.html

Times Colonist and Victoria News published many of Ted's letters over the years.

While we knew Ted  as a terrific support for challenging the sewage plant ideology, Ted had lived another life and as a young man, in WWII, he served in the Royal Engineers in Egypt and had some anecdotes about that experience: http://www.seniorliv...h-of-experience

Ted presenting at ARESST's 2012 AGM (photo): 

Attached Images

• dew jones at ARESST AGM 2012_lo.jpg

• Mike K. and tedward like this

#5019 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

Tunnel Vision 

IMG_7314.JPG

• Mike K. likes this

#5020 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:40 PM

It's all top secret behind the green curtain, but it was leaked (pun intended) to me that the tunnel is actually going into the gold depository at the Esquimalt Naval Base.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users