Photo

Sewage treatment in Victoria | McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant

• Please log in to reply
5655 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost. (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost.

1. We need it and waited too long that is the cost of waiting too long! (65 votes [23.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.47%

2. Local, Provincial, and Federal politicians will find a way to help cut down the price to property owners. (3 votes [1.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

3. Out of the question, too expensive for Greater Victoria. (122 votes [44.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.04%

4. It expensive, but if we do nothing costs will only rise. (20 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. We need to do it but greatly scale back the project. It has grwon out of hand. (34 votes [12.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

6. No opinion, I do not know enough about the project to say of the costs are out of line or not. (33 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#5021 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:02 PM

CRD sewage project looking for: "Residuals Solids Pipes And Pump Stations - Consultant Services". This file is excerpt from the RFP, Schedule A :
The sensitive nature of work for this Project cannot be overstated. The proposed alignment runs adjacent to a popular walking and cycling path (i.e. Interurban Rail Trail). Strong consideration must be given to the various environmental and archaeological conditions along the alignment which must be accounted for and incorporated into the design. The proposed alignment also runs through or adjacent to registered archaeological sites and areas of archaeological potential. Precautions and work will be required during the design to account for public perception and environmental and archaeological concerns. The Consultant will be required to work closely with the archaeological consultant that the CRD has retained to oversee the archaeological requirements for this Project.

....Stantec Consulting Ltd. has been retained as Owner's Engineer for this Project....

Summary of project, public information: https://www.crd.bc.c...ultant-services

:)

#5022 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

I wonder how many bidders they will get. You would think many firms would be scared off by this description, of how wrong this plan is at its core.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5023 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:12 AM

I wonder how many bidders they will get. You would think many firms would be scared off by this description, of how wrong this plan is at its core.

Yes, piping sludge uphill to Hartland is the silliest part of the whole project.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#5024 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:22 AM

Solved?? I don't think that CRD sewage project yet knows how to deal with the thousands of tons of sewage sludge that will be produced.

"When we look at the sewage debacle, gosh its solved now but that took years, a decade almost of cost and frustration," Gudgeon said.

Former Victoria councillor says governance of Capital Region in need of review:

#5025 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

^ Maybe we should just barge it offshore, and dump it in the ocean somewhere?

• Bingo likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#5026 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

Gudgeon was all about accepting things without any proof or scientific evidence, so no surprise she would make such a ridiculous statement. Remember she lead the charge to lower speed limits, even when staff recommended against it. There are many factors besides the sludge that they will have to deal with. They'll just make it up as they go along.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5027 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

They'll just make it up as they go along.

If that is the case and I think it is, this is going to be a train wreck that will be ongoing like cars running off the end of a bridge that isn't there yet.

#5028 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:39 AM

This news story plunks a single-sentence sewage sludge spreading issue into middle of boreholes story:
"At Hartland, the solids are to be processed at an as-yet unbuilt treatment facility to turn them into “Class A” biosolids that are safe for further use; a soil supplement has been given as an example."

"See if sewage pipeline route affects your neighbourhood; boreholes being drilled":

Edited by JohnN, 25 August 2017 - 06:40 AM.

#5029 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:56 AM

Ted Dew-Jones, news story excerpt:
John Edwyn (Ted) Dew-Jones was a familiar name on the Times Colonist Letters page for years as he espoused his views on sewage treatment, but that was just one part of a well-rounded life filled with family, friends and a broad range of interests.
...Son Malcolm Dew-Jones said that getting the word out about his father’s memorial service Saturday has included putting up a picture of him and a notice at the Crystal Pool, which he frequented for many years. He said the staff member he spoke to recognized his father right away.

- "Obituary: Widely known community voice falls silent at 91:

#5030 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

I don't think we've seen this video before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyaAcipjaks

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5031 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

Perhaps someone can enlighten me, because I haven't followed along with the recreational aspects of this project.

Is the plan here for the trail part of this project to bridge the gap between the Songhees Walkway ending at West Bay and the Macaulay Point trail that ends at Anson Crescent? Or is that not possible because of the surrounding DND lands?

• nerka likes this

#5032 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

A fairly vulnerable location, and never mind the tsunami, I'm concerned about a North Korean submarine surfacing and taking out the treatment plant with it's deck gun.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#5033 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyaAcipjaks

So this video was just uploaded by some random dude and it has no references?? Looks sort of like a Stantec logo visible in top right corner for first 30 seconds. 

#5034 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:52 PM

Perhaps someone can enlighten me, because I haven't followed along with the recreational aspects of this project.

Is the plan here for the trail part of this project to bridge the gap between the Songhees Walkway ending at West Bay and the Macaulay Point trail that ends at Anson Crescent? Or is that not possible because of the surrounding DND lands?

Probably not possible because of the DND lands but also because (as I recall) a military families group raised objections to the trail that already goes along shoreline near Macaulay Point sewage pump station, based on crime concerns. They probably wouldn't be supporters of any further trail development. There used to be public parking on Victoria View Drive but if that won't be possible when the sewage plant is completed, probably Lyall would be closest for public parking. 

#5035 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

http://www.dailymail...kes-region.html

Environmental alert as antidepressants found 'in high concentrations' in FISH BRAINS in the Great Lakes region
  • High concentrations of antidepressants were detected in 10 fish species  
  • Ingredients in antidepressants are coming out from wastewater treatment plants
  • In general, wastewater treatment focuses on killing disease-causing bacteria 
  • But antidepressants, which are found in the urine of people who use the drugs, are largely ignored, along with other chemicals that have become common 

Our billion dollar plant will stop this, right? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5036 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

Nobody is depressed here.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5037 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

http://www.dailymail...kes-region.html

Our billion dollar plant will stop this, right? 

Tertiary treatment might reduce presence of pharmaceuticals and personal care products in effluent discharged through the new Macaulay Pt outfall  coming out of a McLoughlin sewage plant. However, would need environmental scientists and oceanographers to evaluate whether the unique freshwater Niagara River location is comparable to the high-volume marine Juan de Fuca Strait. Those researchers were mostly chemists so their genius is having lab instruments that can measure at  "part-per-billion levels in WWTP effluents and at part-per-trillion levels in river water samples".

Its possible that PPCPs that aren't discharged through Macaulay effluent but are captured in sewage sludge sent to Hartland may be further reduced through incineration but some proportion might remain chemically active and be land-filled as sludge somewhere - to eventually work its way through soil and back to marine environment.

Interesting that while researcher is quoted in Daily Mail article as saying the PPCPs are a threat to biodiversity, a note in the article abstract says biggest accumulation of PPCPs was found in Rudd, an invasive species - which would itself be a possible threat to biodiversity in that Niagara River environment. 

However, the Niagara River research results seem to be similar to research findings from estuary waters near WWTPs in Puget Sound: http://www.seattleti...and-its-salmon/

#5038 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:43 PM

Another CRD director, Metchosin Mayor John Ranns, calls the proposed trip a "junket".

He said that much of Europe is using older technology when it comes to waste management and it would be better for the CRD to put out the call for tender and see what companies can offer the region.

"See what comes in. Take a look at the technologies ... and then they will find that there are a number of technologies that are not being contemplated that are there," Ranns told CBC News.

"This is being done out of order."

Desjardins said the CRD doesn't have time to test out technologies, because the province requires the region to have an integrated resource management solution by 2012.

"So the staff report indicates that doing a trip to see and ask the questions and understand what those jurisdictions are doing is the best way, other than having a pilot project," she said. 

According to a CRD staff report, the tour will include a "broad cross-section" of facilities with technologies that process biosolids, organics and mixed waste streams.

The proposed tour will visit eight European locations during a week in October, which will be followed by a North American leg in November with an itinerary that will be influenced by what is learned during the European leg.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...urope-1.4276181

Your tax dollars very hard at work in Europe.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 September 2017 - 07:44 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5039 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

^ 2012?

#5040 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:42 PM

^ 2012?

Typo, I presume it was meant to be 2022.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users