Photo

Sewage treatment in Victoria | McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant

• Please log in to reply
5655 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost. (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost.

1. We need it and waited too long that is the cost of waiting too long! (65 votes [23.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.47%

2. Local, Provincial, and Federal politicians will find a way to help cut down the price to property owners. (3 votes [1.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

3. Out of the question, too expensive for Greater Victoria. (122 votes [44.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.04%

4. It expensive, but if we do nothing costs will only rise. (20 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. We need to do it but greatly scale back the project. It has grwon out of hand. (34 votes [12.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

6. No opinion, I do not know enough about the project to say of the costs are out of line or not. (33 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#5041 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:49 PM

This whole turd processing thing still baffles me. I wonder if the "travelling will burys" will encounter any plants in Europe where they pipe the sludge 18 kilometres to the gas chamber?
  • Bingo likes this

#5042 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:21 PM

2012?

Not unlike the bridge project they just picked the date out of thin air, and in this case it was a date for thinned turds to be running up and down hill through some of the prime neighbourhood's looking for a place to leak into someones basement, not unlike the buried oil tank nightmare. Why go to all that trouble when you could process turds at a facility at Ogden Point, perhaps in an unused part of the Cruise Ship Terminal. They have already started the pipe under the harbour to get the turds from Clover Point over to  McLoughlin Point, so they just need to drill a second pipe to bring it back along a much shorter route. The bonus from this location is if that pipe ruptures during the big earthquake, the contents will leak harmlessly into the mouth of the harbour and carried out to sea on the ebb tide, or... up past the Empress Hotel on a flood tide. What ever...

I fully support all the politicians and their need to go to Europe to study turd processing, as it could be the most rewarding phase of their careers. 

#5043 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:31 AM

I fully support all the politicians and their need to go to Europe to study turd processing, as it could be the most rewarding phase of their careers. 

I am sure that for many of them it will be their first trip outside of North America. 

I wonder if any of them have ever heard of Skype?

#5044 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:21 PM

Hey! You think our Chinese bridge just built itself?*

*a reference to Helps and her entourage traveling to China.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5045 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:54 PM

2 staff and 3 directors will go to Europe this October on your dollar.  How much you want to bet spouses accompany them?  1/2 price vacation.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5046 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:50 PM

Sooke Mayor Maja Tait, the committee’s chairwoman, supported sending the issue along to the full CRD board and said it arose out of a discussion in June. She said the concept of the tour was discussed back then and direction came out of that to see what it would entail.

Why the f does the Sooke Mayor have anything to do with it, since they are not involved in sewage (they have their own system)?

• aastra likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5047 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:01 PM

^ This is a well designed ploy in order for you to get a taste of what amalgamation will feel like.

Never has so few done so little with so much.

#5048 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:52 PM

Never has so few done so little with so much.

" we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,

....we shall fight on the beaches "

#5049 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:14 AM

Why the f does the Sooke Mayor have anything to do with it, since they are not involved in sewage (they have their own system)?

Its not just sewage but solid waste as well - Integrated Resource Management - so every part of CRD is involved. Tait chairs CRD's IRM committee, and places like Sooke, Metchosin, Highlands which have no connexion to regional sewage system are involved because of the solid waste angle. 

:)

#5050 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:17 AM

Excerpts:
If it’s Tuesday, this must be Belgium’s sewage....As foreign trips go, it’s hardly on a par with a tour of the great wineries of Burgundy, but it nevertheless screams: “Junket.”

Editorial: Sewage trip a waste of time:

• Bingo likes this

#5051 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:38 AM

Now, if this is not a vacation, let's see if the 3 directors take their spouses.  Yes, that part is to be paid by them (airfare and expenses, they can stay for free in the taxpayer-paid hotel), but it's still a better-than 1/2 price vacation.

#5052 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:03 AM

Free trip to Europe!

#5053 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:04 AM

Now, if this is not a vacation, let's see if the 3 directors take their spouses.  Yes, that part is to be paid by them (airfare and expenses, they can stay for free in the taxpayer-paid hotel), but it's still a better-than 1/2 price vacation.

The 'smart' ones get the Government to pay for a business class ticket and then they exchange it for 2 economy fares so their spouse actually gets to go for free.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#5054 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:42 AM

Excerpts:
If it’s Tuesday, this must be Belgium’s sewage....As foreign trips go, it’s hardly on a par with a tour of the great wineries of Burgundy, but it nevertheless screams: “Junket.”

Editorial: Sewage trip a waste of time:

You can probably find out the same information in Puget Sound and those folks would probably pay their way down, because they have an interest in us getting our system RIGHT.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#5055 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

How much shite, er sludge will we generate daily?
Why not buy a mothballed tanker (going cheap these days maybe $10 million)?
Fill it up, sail out 20 miles once every few weeks and pump out the "nutrients"? Jobs and big fat salmon, win win!
  • VicHockeyFan and Bingo like this

#5056 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:49 PM

CRD Integrated Resource Management committee meeting Sept 6 discussed sewage sludge tour of Europe starting at about the 5 minute mark in this webcast video and director Atwelll starts comments at about 16 minute mark: http://crd.ca.granic...=1&clip_id=1032
The tour report referred to (45 page pdf): http://crd.ca.legist...06b0b62e6a7.pdf

• Kungsberg likes this

#5057 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

I predict it is going to be a shxt show.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5058 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:19 AM

Excerpts:
Oak Bay Mayor Nils Jensen says a planned trip to Europe is premature for the Capital Regional District.
...While I'll keep an open mind, at this juncture I'm not inclined to support this," Jensen said. "It's, I think, premature to go looking at what we may want for Victoria. As a first step we need to decide what it is we want in integrated waste management...With today's technology the only thing missing would be "smellivision."
Oak Bay mayor questions timing of proposed European trip
http://www.bclocalne...673159759451875

#5059 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

Hey. It seems the CRD aren't the only incompetent sewage planners around. This from the Winnipeg Free Press: https://www.winnipeg...-443339023.html

https://www.winnipeg...-443339023.html

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5060 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:02 PM

Excerpt:
Director John Ranns said he himself had been interviewed by the RCMP. "There's a group of engineers and lawyers that have put together the most remarkable chronology of events through this whole process and have filed complaints with police. I have been interviewed by the police. They filed complaints with the ombudsman, with the society of engineers, I don't know where that complaint has gone. Nobody wants to touch this."

CRD DIRECTOR SAYS HE WAS INTERVIEWED BY POLICE OVER SEWAGE PROJECT BOARD:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users