Photo

Sewage treatment in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
5065 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost. (58 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost.

1. We need it and waited too long that is the cost of waiting too long! (56 votes [21.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.71%

2. Local, Provincial, and Federal politicians will find a way to help cut down the price to property owners. (3 votes [1.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.16%

3. Out of the question, too expensive for Greater Victoria. (115 votes [44.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.57%

4. It expensive, but if we do nothing costs will only rise. (18 votes [6.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.98%

5. We need to do it but greatly scale back the project. It has grwon out of hand. (33 votes [12.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.79%

6. No opinion, I do not know enough about the project to say of the costs are out of line or not. (33 votes [12.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#5061 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,402 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:25 PM

More;

The integrated resource management aspect of the project involves the piping of sewage sludge from McLoughlin Point to the Hartland Landfill. That's where sludge will be processed through something called anaerobic digestion into Class-A biosolids. Ranns says there are companies willing to work with raw sludge, saving the CRD the cost of piping sludge to the landfill and the anaerobic digestion facility, but those options are being left out.

http://www.iheartrad...board-1.3283911

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#5062 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,402 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:39 PM

She changed her mind

The Chair of the Capital Regional District has changed her mind about supporting a more than $42-thousand European tour of Integrated Resource Management sites in October. 

Last week's vote to send 2 staffers and 3 Committee Chairs to investigate waste management sites in Germany, Belgium, Spain and France passed narrowly, 6-5 at the Committee of the Whole.  But it still needs to be approved by the CRD Board and environment committee.

But CRD Chair and Esquimalt Mayor Barb Desjardins says she is no longer in favour and will present an alternate plan:

http://www.iheartrad...sites-1.3284642

#5063 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,402 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:46 AM

Tunnel Vision 

post-1196-0-77185400-1502253635.jpg

Ogden Point

• continue drilling of HDD pilot hole (expected to reach McLoughlin Point by end of September, in accordance with the schedule);

• complete handling of contaminated materials;

https://www.crd.bc.c...vrsn=60a901ca_2

#5064 JohnN

JohnN
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:19 AM

Excerpt:
A separate backgrounder report notes that the province has resisted efforts by regional governments such as the CRD for “flow control” — the authority to control movement and disposal of recyclables or solid waste.
...That lack of authority is seen as a major challenge as the CRD explores “integrated resource management” options as part of the sewage treatment program. Sewage sludge would be mixed with solid wastes such as food scraps and processed to create revenue by, for example, generating electricity, heat or fuel.

CRD considers lowering tipping fees at Hartland Landfill

:)

#5065 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 47,531 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:23 AM

Changed her mind after overwhelming public opposition helped her re-think it..

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 September 2017 - 06:27 AM.

• Bingo likes this

#5066 lanforod

lanforod
  • 5,201 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:06 AM

Changed her mind after overwhelming public opposition helped her re-think it..

I wish some other politicians would do the same...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users