Photo

Sewage treatment in Victoria | McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant

• Please log in to reply
5667 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost. (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost.

1. We need it and waited too long that is the cost of waiting too long! (65 votes [23.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.47%

2. Local, Provincial, and Federal politicians will find a way to help cut down the price to property owners. (3 votes [1.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

3. Out of the question, too expensive for Greater Victoria. (122 votes [44.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.04%

4. It expensive, but if we do nothing costs will only rise. (20 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. We need to do it but greatly scale back the project. It has grwon out of hand. (34 votes [12.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

6. No opinion, I do not know enough about the project to say of the costs are out of line or not. (33 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1561 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

^^ Don't forget the sludge (read bio-solid) will need to be incinerated, in which the chimney will spoil someone's view. That someone will whine like there is no tomorrow.

I know....maybe we could turn the chimney horizontal and hide it under the sea like an outfall pipe.

• Matt R. likes this

#1562 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

Or put it at the top of my giant statue!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1563 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

^ You would like this sewage sludge incineration / architecture page.

http://hundertwasser...-hundertwasser/

#1564 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

Yikes! Maybe not exactly what I had in mind...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1565 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

FYI: This is a records storage facility.

Yup I know that....there are quite a few pallets of records from that water break sitting in a freezer 18 years later...

#1566 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

Geoff Young on CBC today said that this could be used as a wedge issue to have the province amalgamate the region!!  :banana:  :banana:

Sounds interesting...welcome to Greater Oak Bay

too bad Geoff Young is an idiot with zero power

#1567 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

What Bingo said in #1559.

I can't see how/why it would be any more expensive to dig into the shoreline there, and cover it over again...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#1568 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

A 3-page letter, with an attached 98 other pages of documents, has now been sent from CRD to the province, urging them to intervene.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1569 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

But if the province imposes the plant on Esquimalt, they may lose the millions in amenities (bike paths etc.) that were negotiated beforehand. Is that correct?

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#1570 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

But if the province imposes the plant on Esquimalt, they may lose the millions in amenities (bike paths etc.) that were negotiated beforehand. Is that correct?

Rob Shaw on CFAX this morning had an idea that seems to have merit.  Province appoints a mediator, gives them 90 days to come to a solution, starting negotiations from mostly on the deal that was sort of in place, including the amenities.  It's very clear to both parties, at 90 days, if no deal, that mediator is going to impose the solution, he has that absolute power.  CRD pretty much gets what it wants, and Esq. saves face, saying even in the shadow of an solution being implemented, they worked hard and they got another round of negotiating from CRD, got a couple more items.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1571 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

Or buried underground here, from my post on page 59 of this thread a year ago,

Sewage1.jpg

But if there were tsunami concerns at McLoughlin Point, might there also be such concerns in a near-shore Clover Point location? 

:)

#1572 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

Rob Shaw on CFAX this morning had an idea that seems to have merit.  Province appoints a mediator, gives them 90 days to come to a solution, starting negotiations from mostly on the deal that was sort of in place, including the amenities.  It's very clear to both parties, at 90 days, if no deal, that mediator is going to impose the solution, he has that absolute power.  CRD pretty much gets what it wants, and Esq. saves face, saying even in the shadow of an solution being implemented, they worked hard and they got another round of negotiating from CRD, got a couple more items.

Amenities such as barging ($2.3million) and a district heat loop concept ($7.4 million) that consultants say still needs a feasibility study might not count as big losses for Esquimalt. Ditto the bike path, especially given that there is no non-DND public route yet to actually get to McLoughlin Point. Could be that the more salient issues to negotiate are a liability absolution agreement whereby CRD assumes full liability for anything that happens at the sewage plant or if the sewage plant causes anything to happen elsewhere.

#1573 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

Could be that the more salient issues to negotiate are a liability absolution agreement whereby CRD assumes full liability for anything that happens at the sewage plant or if the sewage plant causes anything to happen elsewhere.

How about if we make that individuals who are members of the CRD....... 

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1574 patrick venton

patrick venton
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

sludge dilution in the ocean atmosphere , not the air atmosphere.  Dilution ,dilution, and more dilution .not secondary concentrate and more concentration that eventually will need to be diluted.and diluted .

#1575 weisguy86

weisguy86
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:22 PM

I realize Esquimalt council voted no on the amended application becuase of strong community opposition, however... they knew about all of the opposition before saying to the CRD many months back that they would consider the project if they recieved some $15M in ammenities.

My point here is we have been paying many people hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to work on this project while esquimalt has "lead us on", I think they should pay for the extended delay they put on this project. If they had said no instead of maybe to the first application, we would be several months and tens of thousands of dollars ahead of where we are now.

#1576 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:46 AM

^ That is one way to look at the situation. Another way might be to consider that the Esquimalt council is compelled to present the proposed rezoning application to the public for their input before relaxing or changing existing zoning bylaws. This is part of the process. Council can vote to send an application for rezoning to public hearing or vote to send it to the garbage can if it is deemed to lack merit. You are correct, it is their call. Council voted to proceed instead of assuming public sentiment.

The CRD has committed funds that they received from taxation for no less than 3 properties for the proposed sewage treatment plant. With regards to this latest proposal, the CRD presented a building design with a footprint that would encroach on established setbacks that would exist for any developer. A variance to the established building setbacks in this case requires the municipality to rezone the property and the rezoning process includes public hearings in order to give voice to those same stakeholders that supplied the funds in the first place.

To say that "they knew about all of the opposition" is speculation. How could they know without the due process that would allow their opposition to be recorded at a public hearing?

Your concern about the loss of "tens of thousands of dollars" is a pittance compared to the tens of millions that the CRD has invested in properties without a stitch of consultation with the community beforehand.

#1577 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:08 AM

My point here is we have been paying many people hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to work on this project while esquimalt has "lead us on", I think they should pay for the extended delay they put on this project. If they had said no instead of maybe to the first application, we would be several months and tens of thousands of dollars ahead of where we are now.

Yes, but in this instance for this gigantic boondoggle of a project, delay is good.  (I think we, should be paying them on top of the costs to 'work' on the project.  Think of it as a reverse performance bonus.)

jbw

#1578 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

Letter: Science backs validity of ocean discharge

TIMES COLONIST
APRIL 19, 2014 

Re: “CRD selected best possible sewage-treatment plan,” April 16.

The writers erred in suggesting that the sewage debate includes persons advocating no sewage treatment.

The Capital Regional District years ago selected the proven science of marine treatment via long ocean outfalls as the best option for Victoria. Based on CRD documentation, the province was convinced that the system would not pollute, but approved the system with the condition that the CRD monitor it and use the data to show non-believers that the system safely treats our sewage.

READ MORE HERE: http://www.timescolo...charge-1.976347

• Hotel Mike, tedward, patrick venton and 1 other like this

#1579 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

Is anyone able to take a peek at the entrance to the Harbour and confirm whether a soil dredger is operating near McLoughlin Point? And if something is out there, can you ascertain what it's up to?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1580 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

^ Are there any web cams that include that area?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users