Photo

Sewage treatment in Victoria | McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant

• Please log in to reply
5673 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost. (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost.

1. We need it and waited too long that is the cost of waiting too long! (65 votes [23.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.47%

2. Local, Provincial, and Federal politicians will find a way to help cut down the price to property owners. (3 votes [1.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

3. Out of the question, too expensive for Greater Victoria. (122 votes [44.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.04%

4. It expensive, but if we do nothing costs will only rise. (20 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. We need to do it but greatly scale back the project. It has grwon out of hand. (34 votes [12.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

6. No opinion, I do not know enough about the project to say of the costs are out of line or not. (33 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1581 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

None that I know of.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1582 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

Yes. There is some sort of barge at McLoughlin Point. 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1583 soils guy

soils guy
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

I have not seen the barge yet. However, if there is (or will be) a drill rig on deck then they may be carrying out (or preparing for) some sub surface investigation of the sediments/rock within the harbour seafloor.

#1584 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

I have not seen the barge yet. However, if there is (or will be) a drill rig on deck then they may be carrying out (or preparing for) some sub surface investigation of the sediments/rock within the harbour seafloor.

Here is a photo of the barge taken yesterday and posted on facebook. Hard for me to tell what the barge is for but the photographer saw writing on the side which said something like Salish Sea (probably Salish Sea Industrial Services). I call it a pile driver barge but that may not be its function.

Attached Images

• pile driver barge near mcloughlin.jpg

:)

#1585 soils guy

soils guy
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:43 PM

I observed the barge off the Ogden Pt breakwater today. It may be profiling the seafloor sediments to assist in design of the proposed marine outfall pipe from the treatment plant.

• Mike K. likes this

#1586 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

^ Thanks for keeping us posted soils guy.

#1587 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

WEEKLY NEWS DIGEST 27 APRIL

ACTIONS:
- Sign: petition to demand review of CRD sewage plan
- Send: in your letters!
- Come to SeaTerra sludge pipe sessions THIS week!
- How it went -  RITE Plan table at Ogden Pt 20 April
CRD SEWAGE NEWS:
- The RITE Plan's Youtube Channel
News stories:
- Comment: CRD proceeding without clear sewage plan (Desjardins)
- The construction industry gets vocal
- Sewage foes' survey skewed, says Seaterra director
LETTERS: 
- McLoughlin Point lot won't make the cut for sewage plant (Brown) 
- Make it easy for people to recycle (Robinson)

#1588 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:36 AM

You have to wonder about the integrity of controversial news released on a Friday afternoon as Seatera plows forward on the sewage treatment project.

https://www.crd.bc.c...rs-selected-wtp

#1589 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

WEEKLY NEWS DIGEST 4 MAY

CLICK HERE TO READ: http://sewagevictoria.blogspot.ca/

​ACTIONS:

- Sign: petition to demand review of CRD sewage plan
- Send: in your letters!
- Review: STAG survey and backgrounder
How it went -  RITE Plan table at Ogden Pt 26 April

CRD SEWAGE NEWS

Audio-Visual News:
Atwell interview on CFAX
Colwood's Cullington on CFAX 30 April
CFAX Sunday covers citizen's sewage survey
- The RITE Plan's Youtube Channel

News stories:
Sewage Treatment Action Group Survey Results
- Excerpt: Three cheers for democracy
Excerpt: Victoria's megaproject blues
Sewage plan soundly rejected: poll
Comment: Delays to Seaterra program cost all of us (Sweetnam)
Comment: Did the CRD select the best sewage-treatment plan? (Peck)
Editorial: Bogus survey muddles issue
- Raeside sewage poll cartoon
Sewage project 'political travesty,' says UVic prof
Songhees First Nation seeks full membership on capital regional board
CRD chairman invites minister to board’s sewage-plant parley
Esquimalt mayor refutes CRD’s claim of ‘victimhood’, says impasse is the result of poor decisions
Comment: Why we cheered when Esquimalt said no
LETTERS
Sewage-treatment plan needs to be revisited (Boyd)
Sewage-treatment ball is in the CRD’s court (Burton-Krahn)
Survey first opportunity to comment on project (Carter)
Take a second look at sewage treatment (Devitt)
- Breaking down democracy one meeting at a time (Dickson)
Don’t vote for those who favour sewage plan (Foord)
Alternate sewage plan would create more jobs (Maler)
Scrap the project, save a billion (Le Noury)
Survey showed unease with sewage project (Spencer)
Sewage project pushed for political reasons (Trueman)
SEND IN YOUR LETTERS!

Edited by JohnN, 04 May 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#1590 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

You have to wonder about the integrity of controversial news released on a Friday afternoon as Seatera plows forward on the sewage treatment project.

https://www.crd.bc.c...rs-selected-wtp

Seaterra Program Commission met Friday morning so announcement came after their in-camera approval but you're right about plowing on with this project when Esquimalt has said no to it for McLoughlin, What does Seaterra think can happen now? Probably trying to give impression that the project is moving forward but would be surprised if winning proponent Harbour Resources Partners would want to invest any time or money into McLoughlin when Esquimalt has said (and continues to say) no.

#1591 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

Seaterra Program Commission met Friday morning so announcement came after their in-camera approval but you're right about plowing on with this project when Esquimalt has said no to it for McLoughlin, What does Seaterra think can happen now? Probably trying to give impression that the project is moving forward but would be surprised if winning proponent Harbour Resources Partners would want to invest any time or money into McLoughlin when Esquimalt has said (and continues to say) no.

The announcement went on to confirm it was a non-announcement, that set exactly zero wheels in motion on anything.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1592 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

^ So why even mention it?

#1593 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

They have a large communications team, they need to write something.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1594 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

Because you can fool some of the people all of the time.

#1595 soils guy

soils guy
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

I think Seaterra wants to demonstrate that the project is still moving ahead.

Setting aside the discussion as to whether we need treatment or not. Seaterra apparently remains full steam ahead on the other aspects of the project that it has full control over. Craigflower pump station is under construction. I expect the other pump stations, as well as the conveyance systems (Dallas Road force main, marine outfall, harbour crossing and piping to Hartland, etc.) are either at RFQ, RFP or in preliminary design phases. I can only assume that this network of new infrastructure is all designed to work with a centralized treatment facility at McL Point.

Whats the end game for Seaterra?

What ever argument you can make today, either for or against the suitability of McL Point, as the weeks and months pass, and as the remaining integral perimeter infrastructure as mentioned gets built, then surely Seaterra must believe their case for McL Point gets stronger and stronger, potentially boxing any future decision makers into a corner.

#1596 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:05 PM

But how can they move forward with McLaughlin Point? Barb Desjardins and her Council proceeded like a thorough team of detectives, making sure they have a water tight case to hand to prosecution. Any move to force McL Pt. for this crazy plan would be a massive affront to democracy...thorough, wide open, thoughtful democracy. That would attract a large and fervent opposition, right down to sitting in front of bulldozers. Seaterra lives in a fantasy world, and must be brought down to earth.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1597 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

I think Seaterra wants to demonstrate that the project is still moving ahead.

Setting aside the discussion as to whether we need treatment or not. Seaterra apparently remains full steam ahead on the other aspects of the project that it has full control over. Craigflower pump station is under construction. I expect the other pump stations, as well as the conveyance systems (Dallas Road force main, marine outfall, harbour crossing and piping to Hartland, etc.) are either at RFQ, RFP or in preliminary design phases. I can only assume that this network of new infrastructure is all designed to work with a centralized treatment facility at McL Point.

Whats the end game for Seaterra?

What ever argument you can make today, either for or against the suitability of McL Point, as the weeks and months pass, and as the remaining integral perimeter infrastructure as mentioned gets built, then surely Seaterra must believe their case for McL Point gets stronger and stronger, potentially boxing any future decision makers into a corner.

Mayor Desjardins' comment about Victoria and their Clover Pt works in her 22 April T-C op-ed

The City of Victoria acted prudently and suspended indefinitely the further allocation of any resources to the CRD’s Clover Point rezoning application to pump wastewater to the now on-hold McLoughlin Point facility.

• Mike K. likes this

#1598 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:33 AM

Things are heating up on the sewage treatment front.

Andrew Weaver, Green Party MLA Oak Bay – Gordon Head presented three petititons to the House Monday [...]

http://www.cfax1070....ent-review-of-s

note the spelling mistake is not mine.

#1599 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

Things are heating up on the sewage treatment front.

Andrew Weaver, Green Party MLA Oak Bay – Gordon Head presented three petititons to the House Monday [...]

http://www.cfax1070....ent-review-of-s

note the spelling mistake is not mine.

Weaver's press release: 

Petitions Call on Province to Review CRD Sewage Plan

#1600 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:34 AM

While the march goes on by the public to convince the Provincial Government that the CRD and it's hired "commission" need to have another look into how sewage treatment could best be integrated into our neighborhoods, the tendering process for the Resource Recovery Centre to be located at Hartland continues.

https://www.crd.bc.c...a-shortlist-rrc

Seaterra has short listed 4 contractor groups to build and or operate this facility while the neighbours to this facility have absolutely no idea as to how this facility will affect them.

The most important part of this announcement touches on procedures that the public has no idea about.

"The RRC is one of the major components of the Seaterra Program. Residual solids from the planned treatment plant will be piped to the RRC where resources such as biogas, struvite (phosphorous) and dried biosolids will be recovered. The biogas generated by the RRC will be used on-site and excess gas will be cleaned and injected into the natural gas system. The struvite can be used for fertilizer. The dried biosolids will be put to a beneficial use as a fuel substitute. In addition, the CRD will realize annual operational cost savings by utilizing the landfill gas from Hartland as an energy source for the RRC."

What does that mean exactly in terms of facility components? Just exactly what kind of processing plant will this look like? There seems to be a lot of reference to "gas". Are we building a refinery here? The contractors might know what the end result will look like, but the public and more importantly the neighbours don't.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users