Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25959 replies to this topic

#11861 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:21 PM

So I popped into the methadone door at Shoppers yesterday. The person I spoke with said that if I have a methadone prescription I can choose that side door, or the regular counter inside. But no other types of drugs were available at that side door.

I asked why they needed a separate entrance. She said for "privacy"
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11862 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

So recovering addicts need privacy but if you want to shoot up illegal drugs you walk in the front door of the safe consumption site. So there is a stigma to not using illegal drugs but no stigma to using illegal drugs. What a great country eh?

• A Girl is No one likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#11863 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

I'm unclear why walking into a special side, unmarked door is more private than going to the counter and presenting your prescription.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11864 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:56 PM

Everyone knows why you're going to the special side door, and it ain't to pick up a 24 pack of toilet paper. Thanks for the investigative reporting VHF. Now see if you can find out when they are moving to Chapters.
  • VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#11865 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:05 PM

I tell you, too.  She was very suspicious of my line of questioning.  She was actually reluctant to explain it at all, after she asked me if I had a methadone prescription, and I replied I did not, but "I'm just a guy with some questions".

• zoomer and Nparker like this

#11866 Karma2017

Karma2017
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:51 PM

^ Nearly 400 bus tickets are given away for free each day.

its not that easy to get them and theres a huge demand and most of these sleezeballs, esp people at Our Place etc who get them trade them for cigarettes/sell them, so even less available for people that need them, its not as easy as you think!  Have you ever been to these supposed "400" places?  Wheres a list?  I dont see one...and you gota go at a specific time, more like an hour earlier, every single day just to get a chance to get one, and qualify, it cant be for any old excuse/lie...

#11867 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:11 PM

It seems like it is for any old excuse or lie if many are eventually hawked for spare change or cigarettes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11868 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:20 PM

its not that easy to get them and theres a huge demand and most of these sleezeballs, esp people at Our Place etc who get them trade them for cigarettes/sell them, so even less available for people that need them, its not as easy as you think!  Have you ever been to these supposed "400" places?  Wheres a list?  I dont see one...and you gota go at a specific time, more like an hour earlier, every single day just to get a chance to get one, and qualify, it cant be for any old excuse/lie...

It's 85 places, I linked the list earlier here.

And I've been offered tickets for sale at the bus stop many times.

#11869 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:09 AM

I think we have to distinguish between not working and getting PWD or social assistance vs. being a guest of the tax payers and living in a place like CCH. I should have been more precise. I would not want to live in the former, but the latter has everything provided plus the welfare money to spend. I'd love to have spending money after I'm finished paying my housing, food, taxes, insurance, utilities, etc.

You are right. There are grey areas and exceptions to rules but the people I really feel for are the ones on PWD will illnesses or condition that were not due to lifestyle choices are bad decisions.

I met a very proud young lady with CP the other day struggling to survive on the $900 a month or so that she gets. Even though she is confined to a wheel chair, she has a part time job that allows her to afford a minimal lifestyle. She is not out building tent cities, the poverty pimps don't care about her because they can't make a profit off of her back, and the politicians ignore her because someone surviving day to day isn't a story that they can leverage to make news for themselves.

We have a pretty upside down system when, as a society, we devote our resources to the punks who are fully capable of supporting themselves but choose not to and ignore the people who actually have the potential to be contributors on a greater scale.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, LJ and 6 others like this

#11870 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:18 AM

There is a story in today's TC, about a mother's anger at having to wait 2 to 4 weeks to get her daughter on a methadone program. 

Now, the story does not say it, but I'll guess her daughter has been a addict for more than 2 to 4 weeks already.

The mother says it is upsetting because "it's a very small window when they agree they need help".

Look, it's a very large window of 8 months when my mother needs a new hip, but she toughs it out.

These addicts and their enablers really do feel entitled.  Look, the reason there is a 2 to 4 week wait is because the few doctors that prescribe methadone need special training, and it's likely to weed out abuse.

• Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#11871 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:23 AM

And unlike waiting a few weeks for say, cancer treatment, waiting to get on Methadone isn't going to kill someone. As unpleasant as it may be, people can quit illicit drugs cold-turkey.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#11872 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:59 PM

There seems to be more than the normal amount of people begging downtown today. Seems like every few store fronts someone is out begging.  Also a few people yelling and screaming at the corners of Johnson/Douglas and Yates/Douglas

#11873 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:04 PM

There seems to be more than the normal amount of people begging downtown today. Seems like every few store fronts someone is out begging.  Also a few people yelling and screaming at the corners of Johnson/Douglas and Yates/Douglas

The fresh new face of Victoria

• Nparker likes this

#11874 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

It's a combination of the better weather, and the time of the month.  It's been a while since the last welfare cheque.

• spanky123 likes this

#11875 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:25 PM

As unpleasant as it may be, people can quit illicit drugs cold-turkey.

As hundreds do every day in Canada as they enter prison.

• Nparker likes this

#11876 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

You know better than that.

there are lots of illicit drugs available in prisons in this country.

#11877 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

Correctional Service Canada

Edited by HB, 14 February 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#11878 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:17 PM

I believe drugs are quite rare in prison especially to those that can not afford them. You can't do car breakins in prison to support your habit.

#11879 Karma2017

Karma2017
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:39 PM

It's 85 places, I linked the list earlier here.

And I've been offered tickets for sale at the bus stop many times.

oops, sorry for mistake....and link didnt work i checked and didnt see a list

#11880 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

I met a very proud young lady with CP the other day struggling to survive on the $900 a month or so that she gets. Even though she is confined to a wheel chair, she has a part time job that allows her to afford a minimal lifestyle. She is not out building tent cities, the poverty pimps don't care about her because they can't make a profit off of her back, and the politicians ignore her because someone surviving day to day isn't a story that they can leverage to make news for themselves.

We have a pretty upside down system when, as a society, we devote our resources to the punks who are fully capable of supporting themselves but choose not to and ignore the people who actually have the potential to be contributors on a greater scale.

I know a guy, in his late 40s, permanently disabled (though mobile) from a stroke he had a couple years ago, struggling to survive.  He chose to take the extra $$ instead of the bus pass when Krusty and her ilk decided to take away the bus pass program for PWDs so he could be able to buy more food.  Without the ability to go anywhere, he has been unable to find part-time job to supplement his disability pay.  If it weren't for his parents, OAP's themselves, there is no way he'd be able to afford the housing situation he has.

Why aren't there more social organizations helping people like him?  People who would be more grateful for the assistance?

This is just one of the reasons why I will not support any organization enabling street people / drug addicts that refuse to at least try and be good citizens.

• Nparker, LJ, spanky123 and 5 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users