Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25933 replies to this topic

#11941 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

Ahh SIC, the gift that keeps on giving

Hinkson has not acted in the best interest of the public since this matter got started. He should be removed from the bench.

Agreed. He hasn't ruled on either of the motions in the Elsner case either and we are now in our 6th month on the first one. I had thought that after Trudeau stated that he would not be promoted to the court of appeal or supreme court he would have started to behave differently but that does not appear to be happening. 

$55K for out of pocket expenses for this case seems ludicrous. 

Edited by spanky123, 25 February 2017 - 09:28 AM.

#11942 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:35 AM

If you head over to VV's Facebook page you'll see a video of a rather ironic incident caught on a dashcam. As a driver approaches a red light on Fort Street, a live interview with Mayor Lisa Helps can be heard on the radio. The mayor is talking about "so much good going on" in Victoria, just as a man approaches the vehicle, bangs on the hood, and just after the video cuts out demands a ride to downtown Victoria. Watch: https://business.fac...701602980168324

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11943 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:46 AM

A couple of weeks ago I reported a couple of tents pitching up at Northern Junk for the weekend, last night I counted 9. Is this the new place to go ?

#11944 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:13 AM

A couple of weeks ago I reported a couple of tents pitching up at Northern Junk for the weekend, last night I counted 9. Is this the new place to go ?

I am not sure if this is privately owned yet, but if it is then the owners need to demand that the police remove squatters from their property. If this space remains CoV land then as a taxpayer and voter in Victoria I demand that the city remove squatters who are breaking municipal bylaws. Of course local bylaws are highly subjective and only enforced if it suits the political agenda of the mayor and council.  :mad:

• A Girl is No one likes this

#11945 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:20 AM

Whats the issue with some tents hidden behind there. The 2 buildings are ugly rotting things that are abandoned and have been so for decades.

Where are the Tents ? Behind the building or on the sidewalk in full view of Wharf st???

#11946 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:30 AM

Whats the issue with some tents hidden behind there...

The issue is that whether this is privately or publicly owned land there are laws and bylaws that prohibit squatters from creating an encampment here. Keep in mind that SIC started with only a handful of tents as well.

#11947 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:46 AM

Also those buildings are in the process of being rehabilitated.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#11948 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:52 AM

I saw heaps of trash and what looked like at least two shopping carts on the little public sidewalk lookout along Wharf immediately south of the NJ buildings. Looked great.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11949 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:00 AM

Well it is coming up to tourist season again. Tents and homeless folk crowding the downtown streets will certainly help get some more money for the coffers now that it looks like there might be some legitimate opposition to borrowing $60M for a 'pool'.

Edited by spanky123, 25 February 2017 - 11:01 AM.

#11950 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

Also those buildings are in the process of being rehabilitated.

I was down there 3 days ago looking around there is not one shred of activity going on in at or near those buildings.

#11951 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

So.. you have read the Northern Junk thread, correct? The moved first on the Janion and now they are focusing on the Junk again.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#11952 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

Whats the issue with some tents hidden behind there. The 2 buildings are ugly rotting things that are abandoned and have been so for decades.

Where are the Tents ? Behind the building or on the sidewalk in full view of Wharf st???

At 6.30 pm last night ( and also 9.30 pm when I walked by) they had covered about a quarter of the grass in full view of Wharf street. I drove past this afternoon approx mid day and no sign of any tents, just the usual garbage, shopping trolleys left behind. However Friday night at least, it's becoming  a regular camp ground.

#11953 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:17 PM

Camping in parks is allowed, I guess.  When shelter spaces are not available.  Which they are, but hey, they were never gonna clamp down anyway, we all knew that.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11954 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

Well this morning I saw a downtown/homeless "first"; there is a 7-11 on the corner of Government and Brougton where I sometimes drop in for a cheap cuppa coffee. Usually there is an older homeless gentleman outside quietly panhandling. He's very polite and utterly non threatening and on those rare occasions when I am carrying a loonie I'll flip it to him.

This morning an altogether different scene: a much younger guy dozing on an elevated air mattress and a nice sleeping bag - like a really nice sleeping bag, nicer than mine, and I have 3 of them for camping and fishing, including one rated to - 25 C.

Looking closer something was a bit odd until I realized the guy had a blanket warmer with the electrical cord snaking up the tree he was sleeping under, plugged into the city-supplied Christmas lights which are still up. He could plug in anything theoretically I suppose...an electric razor, a coffee pot...but I have to wonder: if he electrocuted or hurt himself is the city liable?

#11955 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:17 AM

The fellow you describe is not "homeless" in the sense of no other options - he's clearly a street camper. I am not sure why this sort of activity is allowed to go unchallenged on city streets.

• spanky123, LocalMom, tedward and 3 others like this

#11956 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

Let's see - if you wish to busk on city streets you must apply for a permit.  But if you wish to just sleep there, making the sidewalk less passable for pedestrians, it's do as you please (perhaps permits are needed for "street campers". We regulate the desirable activities, but not those that are generally considered undesirable?  There used to be laws about public intoxication that were enforced - in part as a measure for public safety...now those are disregarded, but who does that help?  The population that used to be "invisible" is now, clearly very "visible" - but is that a good thing? 

• Nparker, LJ, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#11957 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:03 PM

Let's see - if you wish to busk on city streets you must apply for a permit.  But if you wish to just sleep there, making the sidewalk less passable for pedestrians, it's do as you please...

And let's not forget that if your dog should step off your property onto a city sidewalk a bylaw officer will be on that faster than you can say "Cody stop!"

• LJ and A Girl is No one like this

#11958 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:17 PM

Well this morning I saw a downtown/homeless "first"; there is a 7-11 on the corner of Government and Brougton where I sometimes drop in for a cheap cuppa coffee. Usually there is an older homeless gentleman outside quietly panhandling. He's very polite and utterly non threatening and on those rare occasions when I am carrying a loonie I'll flip it to him.

That older homeless gentleman is not begging for himself.  I see a bunch of guys come up to him and take his money, then go into 7-11 to buy cigarettes.

Same thing for the guy in the wheel chair.  See someone pushing him to the corner, then comes back later to collect the change.

#11959 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

That older homeless gentleman is not begging for himself.  I see a bunch of guys come up to him and take his money, then go into 7-11 to buy cigarettes.

Same thing for the guy in the wheel chair.  See someone pushing him to the corner, then comes back later to collect the change.

Which reminds me of the other stunt I saw in front of the Bay Center this morning at 7:45.

Another "street" person holding up the inevitable "I'm homeless and penniless...any $ is appreciated" cardboard sign, this time also being supported by a cane. I needed to duck into the Coast Capital ATM briefly. Sure enough a couple of minutes later once I was done - and the crowd that got off the bus with me was dispersed - the dude with the cane - which turned out to be collapsible - walked off under his own steam, with a perfect gait....

#11960 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:21 PM

The mayor of Maple Ridge makes a good point when it comes to money spent on addressing homelessness

...Nicole Read, mayor of Maple Ridge and the task force's co-chair, said the money was appreciated but not being used effectively. "Simply spending money is not enough to actually produce an outcome in a positive direction. There needs to be a plan," she said. "Right now, there's no evidence-based decision making around homelessness in Metro Vancouver. It's the reason we continue to see money spent and we continue to move in the wrong direction...

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4003159?cmp=rss

Part of that plan needs to address the chronic enabling of illicit drug use by nearly all in the homeless "industry" and a lack of appropriate treatment available to assist addicts and those with mental illness to lead healthy, productive lives.

• A Girl is No one likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users