Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25855 replies to this topic

#12381 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

For God's sakes, HB, calm the hell down!

We don't censor opinions, what we censor is disruptive, argumentative posts that lack cohesion, substance and incite unnecessary arguments.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12382 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

Helps' sexual preference may or may not have anything to do with her governance of the city.

But calling her an "alternate lifestyle" individual and a lesbian is hardly inflammatory.   No more so than people calling you or I "mainstream heterosexuals".

Can't have it both ways, HB.

But really, since I can count on one hand the amount of times anyone's sexual preference has come up on this board over 11 years, it's no big deal, and certainly not an issue we (the moderators) are all hyper-sensitive about.  Or one we discuss often on this board.

We'll let the post stand.  

HB, you are not always right, I told you that a few days ago.  In the thread where you said a semi-truck driver was in the wrong, and poster after poster disagreed with you.

And we (at least Mike and I, so far) feel you are not correct with regards to proper moderation of this thread or that post.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12383 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

im not the only one who finds the post offensive

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#12384 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

HB, take a break from this site for a while.

Threatening to disrupt our jobs and professional integrity because you don't like someone's comment on a discussion forum should lead to your removal from this website. And if it were somebody else, it already would have. But I'm willing to let it go and give you the chance to cool your jets.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12385 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:59 AM

A agree.  We spend a disproportionate amount of time dealing just with you HB, compared to other posters. If it's not complaints by you, it's complaints about you.

Take a break.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12386 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:02 AM

Anyway, let's get back on track.  I have good news!  The 70-year-old guy I have breakfast with often has found a home.  He has a basement suite in a private home and has two sets of rent supplements to get his rent down to $400.   But now he's complaining that it's costing him $400/mo.  Lol.

• Nparker likes this

#12387 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:05 AM

What was his rent before?

Know it all.

#12388 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:12 AM

I'm not sure.  I met him when it was zero, he was homeless.

#12389 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:38 PM

That brings up an interesting question - exactly what would be considered a fair and affordable amount to be paying in rent by the homeless?  How much exactly would they be willing to pay?  When minimum wage is $10 per hour ($1400 per month, w/ 35hrs per week), and 33% of pay is considered affordable for housing, it would seem finding a room for $462 per month would be affordable.  It would seem that this is likely possible based on Craigslist listings....

#12390 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:39 PM

... it would seem finding a room for $462 per month would be affordable.  It would seem that this is likely possible based on Craigslist listings....

Especially if shared.

#12391 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:06 PM

Looking at Metro Vancouver homeless numbers just out and comparing to Greater Victoria numbers from last year... according to my math, 1 person in 665 in Metro Vancouver is homeless, vs. 1 in 265 in Greater victoria. (Unless my math is wrong)
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#12392 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:20 PM

That brings up an interesting question - exactly what would be considered a fair and affordable amount to be paying in rent by the homeless?  How much exactly would they be willing to pay?  When minimum wage is $10 per hour ($1400 per month, w/ 35hrs per week), and 33% of pay is considered affordable for housing, it would seem finding a room for $462 per month would be affordable.  It would seem that this is likely possible based on Craigslist listings....

Our current system is almost criminal in that it creates a serious disincentive for people to ever get out of the poverty pimps' grasp. Life is hard. It's harder still in Victoria where everything costs more. I have a reasonably good job and still find it hard to make ends meet. Why would a drug addict decide to leave a lifetime of guaranteed free housing, food, dental, vet care, drud injections, tax payer paid empathy etc to go and work his butt off for a little money and lose all the perks? It's a no brainer. This is criminal particularly since the longer they stay on drugs, the more times they OD, the more long term damage they suffer. The goal should be to create incentives to get them OFF drugs as soon as possible. But of course, that's not as profitable for the poverty pimps.
  • Nparker, Dietrich, VicPushedOver and 1 other like this

#12393 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

^^  .25%?  I think that's off.  Only 1387 were homeless in Feb 2016.  But most were in shelters or transitional housing.

#12394 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

Looking at Metro Vancouver homeless numbers just out and comparing to Greater Victoria numbers from last year... according to my math, 1 person in 665 in Metro Vancouver is homeless, vs. 1 in 265 in Greater victoria. (Unless my math is wrong)

Not sure how they count the homeless in Vancouver, but here is the reality in Victoria:

In Victoria the homeless includes people living in transitional housing for up to two years, people staying in hotels, people in jail, and of course, parolees in halfway houses. Almost one third of our homeless count moved to Victoria within the last year. 

Zero children were living unsheltered ("on the street"). Meaning there were zero children living in cars.  There were 33 youth living unsheltered ("on the street"). There were 12 youth living in emergency shelters. But the survey counts "youth" as anyone under the age of 25.  Since there is a category for children I am assuming that youth is age 19 - 24. But I have no way of knowing since the summary report doesn't define a specific age range for youth.

Edited by David Bratzer, 10 April 2017 - 02:39 PM.

• Nparker and 57WestHills like this

#12395 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:36 PM

^^shelters and transitional housing is still considered home!ess in Victoria (not so in so e other p!aces). Hummm...if I stop paying rent, I will get kicked out of my place...does that make it transitional housing? Maybe I've been homeless for all these years and I never knew it....
  • Nparker likes this

#12396 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:42 PM

Not sure how they count the homeless in Vancouver, but here is the reality in Victoria:

In Victoria the homeless includes people living in transitional housing for up to two years, people staying in hotels, people in jail, and of course, parolees in halfway houses. Almost one third of our homeless count moved to Victoria within the last year. 

Zero children were living unsheltered ("on the street"). Meaning there were zero children living in cars.  There were 33 youth living unsheltered ("on the street"). There were 12 youth living in emergency shelters. But the survey counts "youth" as anyone under the age of 25.  Since there is a category for children I am assuming that youth is age 19 - 24. But I have no way of knowing since the summary report doesn't define a specific age range for youth.

I edited my post since I found the technical report.

#12397 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:43 PM

...Almost one third of our homeless count moved to Victoria within the last year...

If they did not move here with secure job prospects I have to question why they chose one of the most expensive places to live in Canada. Oh that's right, besides our climate the CoV offers some of the best incentives for those who choose to live with no visible means of self-support.

#12398 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:43 PM

The 2016 Point In Time count had 1387 homeless:

***pdf:   

www.crd.bc.ca/docs/default-source/housing-pdf/pitcount-report26apr2016.pdf

But only 192 of those were "unsheltered".

The survey also found 90 people had no desire for permanent housing.

#12399 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

The 2016 Point In Time count had 1387 homeless:

***pdf:   

www.crd.bc.ca/docs/default-source/housing-pdf/pitcount-report26apr2016.pdf

But only 192 of those were "unsheltered".

The survey also found 90 people had no desire for permanent housing.

So 1/3 of 1% of the population of the CRD are homeless, yet if you watch the news we are led to believe this is some sort of crisis.

Edited by jonny, 10 April 2017 - 02:51 PM.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#12400 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:55 PM

Well, actually only 15% of 1/3 of 1% are actually unsheltered each night.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users