Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25917 replies to this topic

#12561 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

I passed through Centennial Square last night past a pack of rough looking folks blasting rap under the lit covered area along Pandora while the stage was hosting a few skateboarders on one side and some homeless folks with shopping carts and a stack of large blue Tupperware bins in the corner on the Starbucks side.  In the daytime this area tends to filled with stoner kids which has me wondering which 'group' (for lack of a better word) was involved in the incident yesterday.

Mostly though I wonder if Lisa had a good view of the scene from her office as it went down. 

• A Girl is No one likes this

#12562 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

Sounds pretty vibrant...

#12563 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:23 AM

...I wonder if Lisa had a good view of the scene from her office as it went down. 

She was probably sponsoring the "event".

#12564 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:11 PM

I don't know....someone from CCH has already killed an innocent bystander.... You'd think if anything was going to put pressure on govmts, it would be a gratuitous random murder.....

That's the problem a lot of people don't connect the dots that that person who killed that other person is from the central care home... Same with all these drug addicts being the cause of all these problems people just refuse to want to see the connection or just blame the drugs and are complicit in these people denial and help them make excuses, say, no it's the drugs that make them do it...I don't care the reason if you're that out-of-control you belong in jail cuz you're a danger to everyone... theyre so much in denial it's unreal

What/when was this murder??

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#12565 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:11 PM

Welfare Wednesday this week was the highest OD calls ever for one day in the province. 130. Spring is in the air!
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12566 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:13 PM

What/when was this murder??

November. The french canadian young man who was stabbed in front of the McDonalds on Douglas. Completely random and unprovoked thing. The homeless guy went after him and chased him for a block then slit his carothid artery. Yes, lucky for the city/province that the kid was from out of province. If the family had any idea of the precarious situation they created in downtown Victoria, they would have made a huge stink.

#12567 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:31 PM

I don't know....someone from CCH has already killed an innocent bystander.... You'd think if anything was going to put pressure on govmts, it would be a gratuitous random murder.....

Yes it likely would... IF it got any media coverage. Did any media even report this detail? (Assuming it has been verified)

#12568 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

I think they sidestepped that detail for the most part.
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12569 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:47 PM

I think they sidestepped that detail for the most part.

In that case, I think it's fair to point out that, if the killer was a CCH resident, then any reporter who didn't make that fact clear did not do their job. No grey area. Given the situation and the community concerns around tent city and cch, there is no way a responsible reporter or editor would have omitted or downplayed it.
  • Nparker likes this

#12570 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

It's pretty much unheard of for a suspect in any case to have their home address published by the media, outside of a domestic case.  And police will not release it.  And PHS certainly won't.   

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12571 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:50 AM

They'll announce gang ties or criminal affiliations, but mentioning that someone has ties to Victoria's street community seems to be a topic they like to avoid.

From the last piece Ms DeRosa penned for the TC, the only mentions we have related to the suspect are:

"It’s still unclear what led the man to stab Bussières in the neck, but Lachance said it was random and unprovoked. Bussières was taken to hospital, but died two days later."

and

"A 27-year-old man, Justin Michael David Carte, has been arrested in connection with the death. He is charged with aggravated assault, but Crown counsel will upgrade the charge to manslaughter or murder now that Bussières has died. Carte’s next court appearance is scheduled for Dec. 19." - http://www.timescolo...world-1.3665944

In other articles there was absolutely no reference to the fact the killer was panhandling, had lived on the streets nor did the articles reference his extensive record. It's like in the TC's coverage the man was the victim's equal in every way.
  • Nparker, David Bratzer, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12572 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:02 PM

Welfare Wednesday this week was the highest OD calls ever for one day in the province. 130. Spring is in the air!

That is crazy. It seems that the more money we pour into low barrier housing and the more access we provide to needle exchanges and drug dens, the higher the number of overdoses. Who could have guessed that.

• Nparker, sdwright.vic, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#12573 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:37 PM

Reeson Park Homeless issue their demands:

http://vancouverisla...using-1.3394725

#12574 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

Looks a bit like a promo shot for a zombie Apocalypse movie:

image.jpg

Residents of the newly dubbed “Chattel City” at Reeson Park held a press conference Tuesday afternoon to “collectively speak out against the displacement and criminalization of homeless people, and the need for social housing to solve the housing crisis,” the group said in a news release.

"Our camp is here demanding affordable social housing, or at least a place where we can permanently set up camp," said Roland Hanna. 

http://vancouverisla...using-1.3394725

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#12575 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:46 PM

Reeson Park Homeless issue their demands..

..."The average rental accomodation for a bachelor apartment in the City of Victoria is around $800. Income assistance for shelter is $375."...

And here are the average rental accommodation rates for Port Alberni, where the vacancy rate is around 4%

rental.JPG

(https://www.rentboar....aspx?locid=928)

If you're receiving social assistance is there a reason why you MUST live in Victoria?

Edited by Nparker, 02 May 2017 - 03:25 PM.

• Dietrich, sebberry, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#12576 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:14 PM

They want "autonomy" and "self determination" while also relying on welfare. Hmmmmmm.

• Nparker, Dietrich and A Girl is No one like this

#12577 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

So how about we drop them on the back side of Mt. Washington where they can camp to their heart's content and stop stealing from people and merchants in the downtown core?
  • Dietrich and A Girl is No one like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#12578 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

Heck I would even pay for their drugs of choice to be heli-dropped in.
  • Matt R. likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#12579 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:32 PM

So how about we drop them on the back side of Mt. Washington where they can camp to their heart's content and stop stealing from people and merchants in the downtown core?

Because they don't actually mean autonomy and self determination, of course. They mean free government supplied everything with no rules or strings attached in the heart of a trendy and expensive city.

• Nparker, Dietrich, sebberry and 2 others like this

#12580 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:04 PM

I thought we solved homelessness in Victoria with CCC, Mt. Edwards, etc...

Oh, more have shown up? 

• Dietrich, jonny, sdwright.vic and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users