Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25959 replies to this topic

#12661 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:11 AM

...by giving folks here in Victoria homes, we have shown that the government will from time to time choose to give all the free handouts, on an arbitrary basis.

When it's politically expedient, none of the rules apply.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#12662 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:28 AM

In fairness, by giving folks here in Victoria homes, we have shown that the government will from time to time choose to give all the free handouts, on an arbitrary basis.

I don't fault the homeless or the FN for their growing lists of demands. As long as someone is willing to keep giving you more and more then why not keep asking for more and more? The only thing that will end the charade is if the Government says enough is enough and that isn't going to happen any time soon.

Edited by spanky123, 14 May 2017 - 09:29 AM.

• Nparker, Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#12663 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:37 AM

I don't fault the homeless or the FN for their growing lists of demands. As long as someone is willing to keep giving you more and more then why not keep asking for more and more? The only thing that will end the charade is if the Government says enough is enough and that isn't going to happen any time soon.

That's certainly the case here.

Just two years ago in Victoria, if you lived in a shelter or temporary housing, you at least were expected to go find your own free meals, by hiking up to Our Place.  Now with the 4 new places we opened here (Choices, My Place, Mt. Edwards and 844) we provide your food onsite too.

And for your homeless convenience, we have also installed drug-use facilities at Our Place, Rock Bay and Our Place. Tellingly the one proposed for City property was rejected, likely by backroom objections of CUPE Local 50.

Until a few years ago, your Sunday or weekend morning meal, or evening snack was harder to find.  But Our Place expanded the menu and meal times to the current generous offerings.

• pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12664 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:40 AM

'Build it, and they will come'.....go figure, eh?

• Midnightly likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#12665 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:39 PM

Odd. While Europe is dealing with an influx of migrants, and to some extent as are various jurisdictions in North America, Victoria is creating a similar sort of scenario but with hard to house individuals.

We've fostered homelessness in Victoria in epic proportions and are feverishly building up an industry that has generated decades of guaranteed funding and growth as a result of the last two years.

When is the closing date for the View Royal facility?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12666 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

When is the closing date for the View Royal facility?

End of the year, then Lisa Helps welcomes them to the City.  "Bring it on!"

The building has a restaurant and a professional kitchen able to provide the residents with two meals a day and will be staffed around the clock, she added.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.vZE8afCa.dpuf

God forbid they would have to walk up to the Super 8 for food.

So that's 5 facilities with food served in the lobby daily.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12667 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:26 PM

Got to hand it to Wayne. The Tally Ho was vacated and being left to rot and he managed to sell it to the Liberals for $4M more than what it was assessed at and likely $6M more than what it was worth in its current condition.

• Midnightly likes this

#12668 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:37 PM

...The Tally Ho was [sold] to the Liberals for $4M more than what it was assessed at and likely $6M more than what it was worth in its current condition.

More astute management of your taxpayer dollars by the BC Liberals and it didn't even win them any additional seats in the CRD.

Edited by Nparker, 14 May 2017 - 07:29 PM.

• tedward, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#12669 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:52 PM

Former Tally-Ho co-owner Wayne Hopkins and his partners bought the hotel in 2011 out of receivership for $4.2 million and put about $1 million into upgrades. 

The province has paid $9.3 million for the recently shuttered Tally-Ho hotel on Douglas Street to provide housing for 52 people with low-to-moderate incomes and mental-health or addiction issues.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...a.dDVWpazn.dpuf

I think it's great that at the end of a long work day, the new tenants will be able to take a dip in the pool and use the crazy waterslide!  You don't get that in every $375-month apartment these days!

• Nparker, Dietrich, David Bratzer and 1 other like this

#12670 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

The Cool Aid Homecoming fundraiser went down this weekend at Ship Point. I have not heard much about the event pre and post, but I do know as of about one week ago ticket sales were at around the 75% mark. I have not yet been able to find any photos taken during the event, but granted, I haven't looked beyond the usual spots I thought I'd find them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12671 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:53 PM

Women-only overdose prevention site opens in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside
SisterSpace at 135 Dunlevy Street can accommodate up to 15 women at a time in a monitored and safe space

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4098450?cmp=rss

#12672 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:37 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4098450?cmp=rss

Do you think that this is completely necessary or do you feel it's an expensive frill .
Are we going too far with this when resources could be better used .
What if a guy walks up and overdoses on the front steps are they
going to let him die .
My thoughts I think are leaning more towards helping people get clean with emphasis on follow up support rather that giving them a safe place to stay sick .
Thoughts ...
  • Nparker and rmpeers like this

#12673 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

My thoughts I think are leaning more towards helping people get clean

That is not in evidence anywhere in the literature we give illicit drug users.  Certainly we never even suggest abstinence.

• rmpeers likes this

#12674 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:55 PM

^^you CANNOT force people to go sober... they have to want it themselves
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#12675 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

^But if you make the option of not getting sober a little less easy for them, more will want it for themselves.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#12676 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:51 PM

^^you CANNOT force people to go sober... they have to want it themselves

True, but who's going to want to get clean/sober when you are in an environment where everyone is using?

• VicHockeyFan, Love the rock, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#12677 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:04 PM

I'm in Prince George right now and when I checked out the downtown core it looked just like Pandora in Victoria crackhead's homeless vagabonds with awesome bikes people sleeping in doorways and people wandering around like from the movie night of the living dead. Great place

#12678 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:26 AM

^^ I have think everyone should have to be not allowed to use in housing that we supply. My point was that LTR wishes do divert money to cleaning people up. I don't know if that will work either as if they don't want to get clean, they ain't gonna use those services either.

Once again, I would be perfectly fine with barrier housing, where you get a room if you enter a program.
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, jonny and 4 others like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#12679 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:59 AM

If low/no barrier shelters were a stepping stone where there was an expectation that a person would enter a treatment program and move to "barrier" housing within a reasonable period of time (ie. 6 months) - they might be part of the rehabilitation pathway.  The sad and disturbing part is that there isn't a pathway towards sustainable living where this population is actively worked with to lessen their dependence on drugs/alcohol and improve their abilities to live independently.  Should people be forced into treatment? No - but very few people find that their choices are free from all kinds of subtle nudges.  Imagine if the money that has gone to low/no barrier housing went to expanding addictions treatment and rehabilitation.  Imagine if it went towards helping people avoid the spiral in the first place.

• Nparker, jonny, Midnightly and 2 others like this

#12680 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

^ Imagine if 10 homes were opened every month for those that are in a program.  Suddenly everyone would be in a program.  It's easy to modify behaviours with the stick and carrot.  That's the most effective way actually.  

• jonny, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users