Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25855 replies to this topic

#12701 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:17 PM

I know a three year old who sees that park every day. Put yourself in his shoes. It would be like every pub and liquor store posted signs saying, "closed, opening tomorrow or next week, whenever".
  • David Bratzer, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#12702 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:55 AM

People had moved the gates on Sunday afternoon as well. There was a dozen or more people in there. The kids were having a great time. Are they not locking the gates, or was someone in a rush to start their long weekend that they forgot to lock it? It isn't supposed to officially open till June. 

#12703 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:20 AM

Don't most places lock their dumpsters so this exactly situation doesn't happen? At my building they are all locked and only tenants have the key. Every now and then someone forgets to lock it up and the next morning it will look like raccoons got in there, but it mostly works fine. Also what are they even looking for in garbage? The only unlocked bin we have is for bottles and they take those and leave without any property damage or messes.

The issues I see are mostly with bins that have been carted out onto the street for the trucks to pick up and empty, so they have to be unlocked. It's at that time that they get ransacked as the big trucks can't get to them fast enough.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12704 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

People had moved the gates on Sunday afternoon as well. There was a dozen or more people in there. The kids were having a great time. Are they not locking the gates, or was someone in a rush to start their long weekend that they forgot to lock it? It isn't supposed to officially open till June. 

Drive by there quite often with my 4.5 year old - he so wants to go there and play!  Really - it's driving him (and me) bonkers to go by each day and see the fences....

#12705 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:02 PM

... it's driving him (and me) bonkers to go by each day and see the fences....

Perhaps the fences are permanent as an homage to the SIC-ies who last inhabited this site.

#12706 mortvillemann

mortvillemann
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

The fence is down. Note the sign.Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 4.27.00 PM.png

• Mike K., sebberry and Awaiting Juno like this

#12707 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:38 PM

...Note the sign

Capture.JPG

Does that mean we'll never see Quentin Tarantino and George Clooney at this park?

• Dietrich likes this

#12708 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

I also saw that the fences were gone, which is funny because yesterday a lot opposite the Y were actually padlocked shut. Someone changed their mind in a hurry I guess.

#12709 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:47 PM

...Someone changed their mind in a hurry I guess.

Never think that the voices on VV aren't being heard.  :cool:

#12710 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

Cathedral School kids were playing at the park today while the Times Colonist snapped pictures.

• Love the rock likes this

#12711 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

The fences are not all gone. There is still some at the back of the playground, close to the courthouse. 

#12712 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:10 PM

I popped into Liquor Express (on Blanshard at Yates) yesterday evening. I was surprised to find that a beer I found myself quite fond of, which just so happened to be of a higher percentage, was no longer available.

The cashier said the level of theft and problems and violence that came with selling single beers above the standard percentage was such that the products were pulled from shelves. She said ever since tent city had come into existence that liquor store, and their location across from View Towers, have suffered due to an increase in disorder.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12713 theboss

theboss
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:19 PM

I popped into Liquor Express (on Blanshard at Yates) yesterday evening. I was surprised to find that a beer I found myself quite fond of, which just so happened to be of a higher percentage, was no longer available.

The cashier said the level of theft and problems and violence that came with selling single beers above the standard percentage was such that the products were pulled from shelves. She said ever since tent city had come into existence that liquor store, and their location across from View Towers, have suffered due to an increase in disorder.

Another example of the degradation brought forth by these scum. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#12714 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:08 AM

So much for harm prevention:

...The BC Coroners Service figures show April had the second highest recorded numbers in a single month in the province, with 136 people dead as a result of illicit use, almost double the April total for 2016...

http://www.iheartrad...april-1.2650892

There is more awareness and more resources than a year ago going towards reducing the number of overdoses but things are only getting worse. Perhaps it's time to look an altogether new strategy that doesn't just involve keeping users on the addiction treadmill.

• Midnightly likes this

#12715 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

So much for harm prevention:

There is more awareness and more resources than a year ago going towards reducing the number of overdoses but things are only getting worse. Perhaps it's time to look an altogether new strategy that doesn't just involve keeping users on the addiction treadmill.

Hard to say where we'd be in the absence of the efforts made - the situation  could have been far worse than it is and I do think that the current risk is scaring some from ever trying drugs in the first place.  However, those who are already addicted, might just be facing increasing risk of their supplies being contaminated.  Legalization with heavy penalties and regulation might be one of the tools needed to bring the current crisis under some kind of control.  We seem to have managed (from a public health perspective) better control and reduction in tobacco use and drunk driving by having heavily regulated industries than free for alls run by criminals.

• tedward and pennymurphy2000 like this

#12716 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

Hard to say where we'd be in the absence of the efforts made - the situation  could have been far worse than it is and I do think that the current risk is scaring some from ever trying drugs in the first place.  However, those who are already addicted, might just be facing increasing risk of their supplies being contaminated.  Legalization with heavy penalties and regulation might be one of the tools needed to bring the current crisis under some kind of control.  We seem to have managed (from a public health perspective) better control and reduction in tobacco use and drunk driving by having heavily regulated industries than free for alls run by criminals.

Or you know we could actually enforce the rules we already have with regard to possession, sale and use of illicit substances. 

• Nparker, Dietrich, tedward and 4 others like this

#12717 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

Yes, it sounds crazy but maybe more of an effort to stem the supply could reduce the number of deaths.
  • Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#12718 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

That is always the justification, 'it would have been worse had we done nothing'. You are right in that we don't know the real causes since the Gov't is less than forthcoming with data. It would sound reasonable that providing free drugs and needles to people along with a place to inject their drugs might lead to an increase in the number of addicts and an increase in the number of addicts might lead to an increase in deaths.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#12719 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

Geoff Young in TC today calling for more accommodation for homeless people "so that we can prohibit camping in the parks."

My question is, in regard to the court ruling that allows people to sleep in the park if there is no other shelter: does the City or VicPD attempt to establish whether or not shelter space is available?

I realize this could be a logistical nightmare but it seems worth rasing in light of Counc. Young's comment.
  • Kungsberg likes this

#12720 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:50 AM

I realize this could be a logistical nightmare but it seems worth rasing in light of Counc. Young's comment.

In the grand scheme of complex operations I can't see how this could be a nightmare.   There is simple, free and easy-to-use software that could have the manger of each shelter updating as they fill up.  And it does not need to be publicly view-able.  Although that would make sense.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 June 2017 - 10:58 AM.

• Nparker, tedward and Kungsberg like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users