Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25851 replies to this topic

#12881 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

There's quite the camping homeless vagabond party right between Blanshard and Topaz Park. Really makes the city look inviting, safe and clean.
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

#12882 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

That's the gateway to Victoria proper. Where everybody Helps themselves to whatever they want.

• Nparker, sebberry, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#12883 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

There's quite the camping homeless vagabond party right between Blanshard and Topaz Park...

Turning Topaz Park into the CoV's premier homeless camp has always been the Helps-Isitt-Loveday (et al I suppose) long term plan. On the positive side, it's happening much faster than the completion of the JSB.  :thumbsup:

• jonny, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#12884 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:12 PM

Beacon hill park is also getting pretty bad. I happened to be coming back from it on quadra at 6:20 ish. Lots of pedestrian traffic heading down there with their camping gear. Looked more like young bums than homeless. Pioneer park is also getting worse by the day. I see parents walking by with their kids looking pretty concerned about the sh*t show in there.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 18 July 2017 - 05:15 PM.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#12885 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:02 PM

Even the peacocks are moving out of Beacon Hill to raise their young!
  • Mike K., Nparker, sebberry and 2 others like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12886 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:10 PM

I was driving by Topaz so didn't get a good look, but they looked more like the young vagabond types who are on vacation or bumcation or whatever. Bumcationers.

BHP is pretty bad as well. I hate this City Council.
  • Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#12887 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

When I walk to work in the morning I see a lot of folks walking up the Quadra St. hill with all their gear, presumably after having spent the night in Beacon Hill. I loved going there as a kid but probably wouldn't take kids there now. Also my husband commented on the mess at Topaz park as he happened by there today. Poor old Beacon Hill, my great aunt and uncle would turn in their graves. We used to take them there in the 1960s so they could enjoy the flowers. My coworker and I often discuss how disgusting the city is becoming and how fed up we are of everyone and their dog coming here to camp for free.

Edited by mbjj, 18 July 2017 - 06:16 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#12888 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:20 PM

...Poor old Beacon Hill, my great aunt and uncle would turn in their graves. We used to take them there in the 1960s so they could enjoy the flowers.

I wonder why the "Friends of Beacon Hill Park" never have anything to say about this? I suppose they are too busy making sure no one tries to sell you a hotdog or popcorn while you stroll past Goodacre Lake.

Edit: well looky here, they did make a statement...as it relates to the desecration of some VIOLA PRAEMORSA

#12889 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

I wonder why the "Friends of Beacon Hill Park" never have anything to say about this? I suppose they are too busy making sure no one tries to sell you a hotdog or popcorn while you stroll past Goodacre Lake.

Edit: well looky here, they did make a statement...as it relates to the desecration of some VIOLA PRAEMORSA

The Friends of Beacon Hill Park Society, whose foremost mandate is the protection of Beacon Hill Park, are extremely concerned about homeless encampments and law-enforcement vehicles damaging the very sensitive ecological areas, especially during their most fragile time in the wet season. We have consulted closely with the city parks department about both dangers, and they have acted on one of them by speaking to the police about their vehicles.

The solution to campers in the park is keeping cop cars away from them.  Great.   :thumbsup:

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12890 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:57 PM

They are in tune with Geoff Young's statements: need more shelter beds so no one sleeps in parks. Parks daytime use and the camping nighttime use are incompatible. He advocates shelter beds , ie mats, not full housing to detract the casual camper. Once again, the guy makes a lot of sense.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 18 July 2017 - 06:58 PM.

• Nparker, Fred12, jonny and 4 others like this

#12891 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:01 PM

I wish the Friends of Beacon Hill park would really get on their high horse about this camping. I don't often agree with what they have to say but they should be banging on about damage to the wilder areas. The other day when we walked through there were all sorts of broken down cardboard boxes left squashing down all the plantlife.

• Nparker, jonny, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#12892 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

My mom's neighbour reports that someone broke into her car and had a good nights sleep for the night.

Apparently this is becoming a thing now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12893 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

My mom's neighbour reports that someone broke into her car and had a good nights sleep for the night.

Apparently this is becoming a thing now.

Well, what would police do if they found him? He'd likely claim the car was open. And cops would probably say they can't prove otherwise and just send him on his way.
  • Midnightly likes this

#12894 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:21 PM

My mom's neighbour reports that someone broke into her car and had a good nights sleep for the night...

Probably just acting on the mayor's policy that sleeping in cars overnight is hunky-dory.

Does Her Worseship never consider the repercussions of her off-the-cuff statements?

• pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#12895 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:32 PM

^^^this!!!
  • Nparker likes this

#12896 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:59 PM

There's quite the camping homeless vagabond party right between Blanshard and Topaz Park. Really makes the city look inviting, safe and clean.

From a safety aspect the city should be quite concerned about the amount of stuff that is precariously piled on the side of that slope. If some of the detritus were to fall and injure someone walking by on the sidewalk is the city not liable for that? Same goes for allowing the median panhandlers to continue. One came within inches of getting run over today on Blanshard Street. 

• Nparker, jonny and Midnightly like this

#12897 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:06 PM

City let innocent people get assaulted (one killed), robbed, threatened by tent city people and they could not have cared less. Why would they care about this? They would just blame the evil cars and make the street car-free.
  • SimonH likes this

#12898 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:10 AM

Is it because males are more likely to isolate themselves?

Is it because men, to deal with their suffering, are more inclined to consume alcohol and other drugs?

Is it because men, who do the most dangerous jobs, are much more likely to be seriously injured at work and to take opioids to kill the pain?

Dr. Paul Gross is among those who want to get to the bottom of why 15 of the 60 regular members of Vancouver’s Dude’s Club have in the past year died of fentanyl and other opioid overdoses.

Gross is among the relatively few health professionals openly yearning for answers to a startling trend: More than four out of five deaths from opioid overdoses in Canada are males.

“It’s crazy. The members of our club are wondering, ‘Am I next?’” says Gross, a downtown Vancouver physician who has for seven years worked with elders to run the Dude’s Club, which serves mainly Indigenous males.

Even though the Dude’s Club is in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside, the opioid crisis cuts across socio-economic status and ethno-cultural groups. It is striking down poor and middle-class, people old and, especially, young.

http://vancouversun....-are-mostly-men

#12899 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:43 PM

More vigils are planned Sunday for Michael Stone, a renowned Buddhist teacher, yoga instructor and author who died last week in Victoria of a drug overdose.

Stone hosted seminars, retreats, conferences and workshops related to Buddhism across Canada and around the world. He also founded Toronto's Centre of Gravity — one of the largest Buddhist communities in the country — and authored several books.

In a statement released last Thursday, his wife, Carina Stone, and students revealed he'd been living with bipolar disorder and may have been trying to alleviate his symptoms when he died.

Stone was on his way into Victoria for a "routine" day trip on July 13 when he sought out help, the statement said.

"On the way into town, he called a substance abuse and addictions pharmacy, likely to ask for a safe, controlled drug to self-medicate," reads the statement. "He was not a candidate."

Stone eventually bought and took an unspecified "street drug," the statement said. RCMP found him unresponsive around midnight after his wife reported him missing.

Stone was declared brain dead in hospital and died on July 16, having remained on life support for two days so his lungs and kidneys could be donated.

"Initial toxicology reports suggest inconclusively that he had opioids, including fentanyl, in his system," the statement said.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-dead-1.4218210

What a whole bunch of tripe.  

Unbeknownst to everybody, he was growing more desperate. On Thursday July 13, Michael left his Gulf Island home for a routine trip to Victoria. On the way into town, he called a substance abuse and addictions pharmacy, likely to ask for a safe, controlled drug to self-medicate. He was not a candidate. He got a haircut, exercised, ran household errands and finally acquired a street drug. Initial toxicology tests suggest inconclusively that he had opioids, including fentanyl, in his system. Because of the back up due to the fentanyl crisis, it will be five months before the conclusive toxicology test results are in.

https://www.lionsroa...stone-released/

This guy was a loser, and his kids are probably better off without him alive as their role model.  He clearly had no regard for his family.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 23 July 2017 - 04:48 PM.

#12900 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

A friend of mine had his bike stolen a few weeks back. He found it at Reese's park (aka new tent city). Last time I walked by there (>month ago) there were already two bike chop shops there. Of course, police is totally fine with this.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)