Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#12921 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:38 PM

...If there's fentanyl in there you'd think the tree would be growing a foot a day, no?

Only if there's a naloxone shrub nearby.

• Mike K., Matt R. and pennymurphy2000 like this

#12922 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:38 AM

A lot of the little salal (I think it is) shrubs are dying as well.

#12923 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:42 AM

Some trees don't take. It's a bit of a tricky art, transplanting.

Although I've never been a landscaper.

I did do a few days labour for a landscaping company once though. It was pretty hard work.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 August 2017 - 06:44 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12924 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:49 AM

Trees take if they're transplanted properly, are cared for properly and have proper growing conditions. It's not difficult stuff, but if they're not handled well or receive a shock during the transplant (i.e. disturbed roots, too much fertilizer, not enough water) they could wither away and die, or they could recover and get back to doing what they do by next spring.

This is why the younger the tree the better it will fare when transplanted.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12925 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:20 AM

lack of water would be a big problem the past few weeks. trees need a lot of water, especially transplanted ones

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#12926 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:39 AM

Wouldn't that green space have automatic sprinklers? Maybe not?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12927 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:40 AM

Ya it does.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12928 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:40 AM

Wouldn't that green space have automatic sprinklers? Maybe not?

Probably. Do they give enough water to new trees? I doubt it.

• Nparker likes this

#12929 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:30 PM

Interesting new concept to help homeless/drug addicts: abstinence and work... crazy!!!!

http://vancouversun....-in-vancouver-2
  • Nparker and Mattjvd like this

#12930 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:25 PM

Interesting new concept to help homeless/drug addicts: abstinence and work... crazy!!!!

Unfortunately that will never catch on, no money in it for the poverty pimps.

• A Girl is No one likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#12931 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:50 PM

"The provincial government spent $3 million in legal fees and site cleanup after homeless people camped on the Victoria courthouse lawn last year."

http://www.timescolo...n-up-1.21572945

#12932 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:57 PM

it makes me think it's a much larger scale with the same ideas used at Anawim house or woodwin farm, structure, helping those at need, providing work to keep busy, no drugs, rules to follow..

there needs to be more places like that... a clean and sober house, a place where people can attend some sort of clean living program, work and be part of society (even if it's just busy work to keep the hands from being idle).. no more low barrier

Edited by Midnightly, 04 August 2017 - 11:58 PM.

• Nparker, tedward and A Girl is No one like this

#12933 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:00 AM

Sounds like a great programme, I hope they're able to get the site they need in Vancouver.

I wonder if something similar would work here? Maybe even a more rural option, running a farm on the peninsula?

#12934 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:02 AM

Sounds like a great programme, I hope they're able to get the site they need in Vancouver.

I wonder if something similar would work here? Maybe even a more rural option, running a farm on the peninsula?

https://www.woodwynn...woodwynn-farms/

• pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and Mattjvd like this

#12935 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:11 AM

Two days ago I saw a woman walking past the mess at Reeson Park (foot of Yates Streets) as cops were standing by watching folks get their act together (never mind they have to be out of there by 7AM, it was 7:30 and the folks were [as usual] unhappy when reminded to get on).

So as this woman walks by, you can see the look of disgust on her face, but she keeps walking. Then suddenly she stops, turns around and marches back towards the cops and begins berating them while pointing at the mess before her. The cops just stood and looked on.

This lady had had enough and she wasn't afraid to show it or get in the cops' face over it. Election time is going to be very, very interesting.

Know it all.

#12936 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:56 AM

Important to note that our governments are not giving a penny to Woodwynne farms or Anaheim house.

#12937 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:21 AM

she stops, turns around and marches back towards the cops and begins berating them while pointing at the mess before her. The cops just stood and looked on.

This lady had had enough and she wasn't afraid to show it or get in the cops' face over it. Election time is going to be very, very interesting.

Sounds like she has a mental illness too .

Berating cops for doing their job like its their fault.

She should be marching her berating attitude over to City Hall and asking to see the boss.

• Kungsberg likes this

#12938 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:25 AM

Thanks for the link, Sparky. I had no idea this was here.

#12939 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

HB, honestly, why even bother with such a statement? She has every right to express her feelings to the police. They're the frontline workers who do the mayor's bidding. If you don't agree, reconsider the relationship between the mayor and the police.

And take a two week vacation from this forum. We need a break from this stuff.
  • weirdie and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.

#12940 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for the link, Sparky. I had no idea this was here.

For some reason it doesn't get nearly the press that Our Place, and the various other homeless "shelters" get. Perhaps Woodwyn needs to hire a $150,000 year "community liaison officer".

As for Anawim House, I have lived around the corner from this facility for almost 20 years and I cannot recall a single incident where the police or an ambulance had to be called.

...Within two years Anawim* House was bursting at the seams. As basic needs were met at the house, within an alcohol and drug-free environment, the greater challenge of assisting the poor to address the wounds that had put them out on the street – abuse, betrayal, addictions and emotional and mental illness – needed to be addressed. If the Anawim were to again function in mainstream society, they would need to heal within a loving family, learn life skills in preparation for employment, upgrade their education, or return to school to learn a new trade...

...Anawim’s main support comes from individual donors. We are also very grateful for the support of the United Way of Greater Victoria, the Victoria Foundation, and the social service clubs and churches who support us...

* Anawim (pronounced ah-nah-weem) is a Hebrew word that means, “the poor who depend on the Lord for deliverance.”

• pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users