Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25851 replies to this topic

#13381 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

Burnside-Gorge residents are rightfully upset about the concentration of homeless shelters and their effect on the neighbourhood.

http://www.timescolo...ents-1.23063545

• Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#13382 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:23 AM

Burnside-Gorge resident anger vs Helps determination. Wonder which will win out.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#13383 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:06 PM

Sigh, another brutal article...

http://bc.ctvnews.ca...rates-1.3632824

A family that runs a local business in Whistler is facing homelessness amid sky-high rental prices and low vacancy rates.

The Caldwells moved to the resort town about a year and half ago in hopes of expanding their company.

But in addition to running the business, Charity Caldwell has to work two overnight jobs, seven days a week just to make ends meet.

“It’s the reality of what we’re dealing with,” she told CTV News.

Caldwell, her partner, their two children and two dogs recently moved into an RV in hopes of escaping the housing crisis.
“We packed up all our stuff and came on a whim and we’re happier than we’ve ever been in our lives,” Caldwell said.

The family, however, is now being forced out of the RV park because of a disagreement with the landlord.

Caldwell said they now have nowhere to go.

She’s on Whistler’s waitlist for rental housing, but was told it could be a three to 10-year wait.

They moved to Whistler.  "On a whim".

They own a business, but the reporter does not care to share with us what that is, or even the type of business.

They have a "disagreement with the landlord" that means they have to leave, but the reporter does not care to elaborate.

They have 2 kids and 2 dogs.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 October 2017 - 06:19 PM.

• sdwright.vic and A Girl is No one like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13384 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:25 PM

They moved to Whistler.  "On a whim".

The WHIM ..."The Caldwells moved to the resort town about a year and half ago in hopes of expanding their company." 

was a poor business decision, and it happens all the time. What makes their case special?

If they like the cold winters move to Saskatchewan where housing is cheaper, and start again.

#13385 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:40 PM

That "news" piece is a sad excuse for journalism. 

The "business owners" are on a list for "housing". Lists for housing usually mean one of two things. Subsidized housing or free housing.

Market priced housing doesn't use lists. (with the exception of Craig's) Is Whistler an expensive place to live? You bet. A business person needs to factor in all of the projected costs before acting on a whim.

That television company needs to take a close look into their integrity department. That was crap.

• Nparker, Bingo, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#13386 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:21 AM

Noticed while driving along Blanshard yesterday around 10 am, someone had quite the set-up in a business doorway. Not sure of the business, perhaps next to where Gaudio the shoe guy used to be. Multiple tarps draped right over the front door to form a tent with an awful lot of stuff underneath.

#13387 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:23 AM

Oh yeah, I saw that. The guy was sitting on a chair in front of all of stuff with a hat or box out for change. He was asleep in that chair when I walked past him at 5PM.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13388 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:07 AM

That "news" piece is a sad excuse for journalism.

That television company needs to take a close look into their integrity department. That was crap.

I think you're confusing the news with the Dr. Phil Show.
  • Sparky likes this

#13389 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:15 AM

I agree 110%, if they can't afford to stay in Whistler then take the RV and drive on down the highway.  If Whistler can't afford to pay living wages then there will be no workers for the town.  Expensive place to live equals wages need to be high.  This is basic economics and I see no reason why taxpayers need to be subsidizing workers.

I have no idea what retail wages are like there but $1500 for a bedroom to sleep in sounds like people should be earning well over $20/hr

On the flip side I will say wages are on the rise in Victoria, but frankly not fast enough.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#13390 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

Even the federal government doesn't subsidize workers in Victoria where the cost of living for a civilian working at CFB Esquimalt is significantly higher than a civilian working at CFB Halifax, but both earn the same wage.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13391 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

I know a lot of people like flowers in their flower beds. But I think this recreation of the Martian landscape is funner.

Attached Images

• D477C0B2-F38C-49DD-9EC5-FB289BD0B1C1.jpeg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13392 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:52 AM

Even the federal government doesn't subsidize workers in Victoria where the cost of living for a civilian working at CFB Esquimalt is significantly higher than a civilian working at CFB Halifax, but both earn the same wage.

I was under the impression there are regional salaries for the federal government, but then again I don't know the pay difference between Halifax and Esquimalt

The bigger question does CFB Esquimalt have trouble finding civilian workers?

#13393 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

Pay grades are the same, across the country for all position with the federal government.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#13394 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

Pay grades are the same, across the country for all position with the federal government.

As it probably should be.  While working the conditions are about the same.  The only reason it's more expensive to live here is mostly housing costs.  And housing costs are higher because it's generally much more desirable to live here, people want to live and work here.  It's not like in the north where costs are high plus the climate/situation sucks.

#13395 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:00 PM

We recently got a new manager. The one that accepted they position came out to start looking for a house. They then went back to where the live and said "no, thank you". Interviews started again.

#13396 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

Too bad they do not know how to work the internet. Could have saved a trip.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 October 2017 - 03:06 PM.

#13397 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:12 PM

I know, right?

I don't know if people are stupid, or just think it is all just exaggeration?

I moved to NYC when I was 21, best 8 1/2 years of my life. Didn't save a penny during that time though. My share of a three bedroom apartment back then was $1200 dollars a month. And that was discounted because my room mates ran a video editing business out of the apartment. But I knew beforehand it was going to be pricey... planned for and accepted it as part of living there.

Thank you Taco Bell (.49 menu) and pizza by the slice for feeding me when I first moved there.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 15 October 2017 - 03:15 PM.

• VicHockeyFan, pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#13398 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:19 PM

Too bad they do not know how to work the internet. Could have saved a trip.

I am sure that the Government paid for the trip out so free vacation.

#13399 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:35 PM

Wow... so that you know private corporations pay all relocation related expenses as well go executive staff.

Same type of stuff happened under Harper as well.

#13400 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:51 PM

Many of the lower income workers in Whistler take part of their "living wage" in the form of a seasons pass!

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users